-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I've been looking at the Ruger Guide Gun (in 30-06) for a rifle to stick in a saddle scabbard, keep in the back seat, and just plain get a lot hard use out of. No doubt the Ruger is up to the task, I'm actually more interested in the sights.
For the sake of durability, keeping the rifles weight at 8 pounds, ease of getting in and out of scabbards, and less re-sighting in sessions, I'd like to keep a scope off of it.
That leaves me a couple of choices, use they stock sights (and as far as I've been told its stock Express Sights are of good quality), or put an apeture on it. I'd just like to here, from people who know about the things they're talking about, how these two sight designs stack up.
I've heard lots of good things about peep sights, and lots of criticisms of every iron that isn't a peep, but also that there is number of people who use the V Notch and will stick up for it. I also understand that Elmer Keith liked them for work up close.
I'm not getting this rifle for shooting past 150, so long range accuracy isn't a determining factor.

P.S. I have good eye sight.

HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not a fan of v-notch open sights myself. I have used them, but I prefer a square notch and post, because I personally find it better for avoiding shooting high, which is easy to do with the open v type when you're in a hurry. A good big square notch and post too.

Neither holds a candle to a good peep though, for both speed and accuracy. The peep only requires you to pick up and focus on the foresight, while with opens you have to align the foresight in the rear notch. The peep also works much better as your eyes get older. You can sharpen things up for zeroing by screwing in an insert with a smaller aperture on many of them, but you'd take it out for hunting for better speed. Again, my preference is for a post foresight with a peep.

With either option it is best if the rifle also fits you well, so that when you throw it to your shoulder you are immediately looking straight down the sights, rather than having to look for them.

FWIW I've used irons (open and peep) for over 40 years, and currently have several rifles with iron sights (peeps and square notch and post open sights).

On a couple of them the irons serve as backup to a hand-detachable scope too, for use in rain or if I have had a fall, or just because I feel like it. That is also an option to consider.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is my understanding the express sights are quick but the rifle is fitted to you like a shotgun so aiming is automatic. If you have to move around to get on the sights I'd go with a peep sight.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're Dave Scovill, a receiver sight will be more accurate than any open sight, which is why target shooters have preferred them for 150 years or so. They're also fast if you use a big aperture and don't waste time trying to center the front sight in the hole.

I forget the details, but long ago someone (Jack O'Connor?) did a test where he deliberately held the front bead to the extreme limits of view in the aperture, but on the target. The group was still pretty good, and would have killed any deer at ordinary ranges.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The aperture (peep) sight is the way to go. For your use you want the so-called Ghost Ring version. Think Williams or Lyman with the target insert thrown away. I prefer the old Sourdough front sight -- essentially a blade sight with a square gold "bead" set at an angle to catch available light. These generally look shiny in the shade of the woodlands, black on the target range and in the snow.
With this setup I can keep all shots in the chest lung area of a deer to 175 yards with a pre-64 model 94 .30/30.
The one drawback of irons over glass is you will lose that last half hour of daylight in the evening.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Go with this for a rear sight. I have one for my Ruger and I love it.

NECG Ruger peep sight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the reasons I bought a Ruger Scout in .308 was to have a hunting rifle with irons I could use. Give me a peep over a V any day.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote_Hunter - have to disagree with you. The shallow "V" with a good highly visible round bead front sight is hard to beat for quick shots. The older Ruger "African" I have (9.3X62MM) is superb IF you don't mind giving up a bit of accuracy...it's not made for precision. With "peeps" I am always aware of it sitting just in front of my eyes. Produces better groups than a "V" but that's not what a "V" is for. Just my $.02 Homesteader

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An aperture must be faster than a express type sights, for numerous reasons, but for this discussion I only need to mention that there are only two components (front sight & target) to consider, not three(rear sight, front sight & target) when aiming and less to do when aiming is faster than doing more. Express sights are traditional, they are readily available when using QR rings on a scope and lots of folks like their aesthetics, but as for aiming (precision, speed, low-light) they are significantly behind an aperture sight.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

W
OP Offline
W
Why do African PHs tend to use Express sights if they are slower and less accurate? There has to be some advantage, even if it's only perceived.

Last edited by Wyoming762; 01/07/16.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunted all muzzleloader season with a peep this year. Hated it!

I'll go back to standard open sights from now on. I've played with peeps for years, and I'm done with them until my eyesight gives out terribly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wyoming762
Why do African PHs tend to use Express sights if they are slower and less accurate? There has to be some advantage, even if it's only perceived.
I don't pretend to answer for what other people do. I'll stand by what I said about the objective advantages to aperture sights, irrespective to what others use.

I can't understand how ignoring the aperture sight and being able to concentrate on the front sight and target is more complicated or less efficient/effective for shooters, but I've read where simply opening a box of bullets brings about an apoplectic fit in some so anything is possible.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used aperture & globe sights when I was on a collegiate rifle team. But now I'm old and have progressive bifocals. If I try to use a peep sight, I'm looking through 1 1/2 apertures. I had the rear sight on my Marlin 1895 milled so it's an express instead of a semi-buckhorn. The front brass bead is now a Trijicon tritium bead. Works for me when it's too dark for the heavy crosshair scope in Weaver Pivot mounts.

Last edited by norske; 01/07/16.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 56 and wear trifocal progressives and haven't found using open sights or receiver sights to be an issue other than the front sight is not as crisp as I would like no matter which part of the correction I use. I have the same issue with handguns. I am going to remedy that when I see my eye doctor later this month by getting new glasses with interchangeable lenses. I will get a set of lenses specifically for shooting irons.

To answer the OP's question I'd see if any of your shooting acquaintances have rifles set up with the two systems and ask to try them out. You may find express sights work great for you. I don't see much difference in my own shooting in how quickly I get on target with either express sights or receiver sights. The accuracy edge goes to the receiver sight but within the parameters you describe, express sights will offer plenty of accuracy.

I've found the shallow V express sights tend to get the front sight centered quicker than notched rear sights. I do prefer a good sized bead for a front sight with express or notched rear sights. With receiver sights I'll take a patridge front sight over a bead.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
W
OP Offline
W
Well, if I do get I think I'll be changing the rear sight for an NECG peep.
The reason, and not that this would probably matter for the distances it would be used at, but I just can't get over the non-adjustable factory set 50 yard sight in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Coyote_Hunter - have to disagree with you. The shallow "V" with a good highly visible round bead front sight is hard to beat for quick shots. The older Ruger "African" I have (9.3X62MM) is superb IF you don't mind giving up a bit of accuracy...it's not made for precision. With "peeps" I am always aware of it sitting just in front of my eyes. Produces better groups than a "V" but that's not what a "V" is for. Just my $.02 Homesteader

Homesteader -

A V may be better for quick shots but that isn't my concern. I want to hit what I'm aiming at out to 300 yards or so. Mostly that will be clay pigeons at the range, but I do intend to hunt this rifle as well. Where and how I hunt elk quick shots are rare. (Deer are targets of opportunity, not the primary goal, and antelope are also not quick shots.)

This year, for example, we watched the elk come in at a walk from over a ridge 800 yards away. Got my first shot at 100 yards but had the wrong ammo in my rifle. (Dumb, dumb, dumb...) Ended up taking the same bull at 411 yards with my buddy's rifle instead. Another year years we watched elk from before noon to last light waiting to get a shot. Although I've had shot opportunities as close as 25 feet, most are 100-300 yards in open country.

The V sights might be great for quick shots and DG but they just don't suit my needs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote_Hunter - "... but they just don't suit my needs." I go along with that. Glad Henry Ford doesn't run the firearms industry. You know "...any color you want as long as it's black. " . We have multiple choices here. Homesteader

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,236
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.