Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
During non-freezeing temperatures I put a couple ounces of bleach in 2" of water...keeps the smell down for weeks...

For red squirrels 30 gallon metal cans with 6" of water.... corn hot glued to tomato juice can...

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the sound of that, coyotewacker.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by poboy
Working down in Freer Tx., it was so dry we just put
a 1x4 ramp and they just jumped in the water bucket and
couldn't get out.

My buddy in Pietown NM just uses 5 gallon buckets 3/4 full of water with a little ramp going up to it. In a week he would have 20 chipmunks in it. No other bait than the water.

I think he killed over 100 in one summer.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Topstock
I built my first one of these bucket traps 45 years ago. I believe that I copied from Field and Stream? Anti freeze works well for eliminating the stink, but I will give the lime a try. How quick will that kill them?

It kills them very quickly. They jump around stirring up lime dust and breath it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maggie
A few years ago, I had a 30 gallon metal can in the shop with birdseed in it. Took the last scoop out of it and left the top off, it was up against the wall. Next day there were several field mice in the bottom of it, they couldn't climb or jump out. Light bulb clicked on, and have been using it since. Any kind of feed/oats/corn in a deep enough metal container, only takes a little bit of leftover grain to get them to do the swan dive.

We do that with coons too, but use a 55 gallon drum with a hole cut in the lid and bacon grease for bait.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by poboy
Working down in Freer Tx., it was so dry we just put
a 1x4 ramp and they just jumped in the water bucket and
couldn't get out.

My buddy in Pietown NM just uses 5 gallon buckets 3/4 full of water with a little ramp going up to it. In a week he would have 20 chipmunks in it. No other bait than the water.

I think he killed over 100 in one summer.

Pietown!

Now, there's a thriving metropolis for ya!

I only know one guy from there. Ed Wimberley. Last I heard, he wasn't doing too well.

Is that who your buddy is?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Best mouse killer I've had. Some dogs live to retrieve balls or sticks. Spark lives to kill small furry things and spends a large portion of the day on the job. Some days I move the woodpile just so he can get some bit time action. 10 kill days are common.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

We do that with coons too, but use a 55 gallon drum with a hole cut in the lid and bacon grease for bait.

Wouldn't skittles work better than bacon grease?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This works well for the unwanted pests

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Best mouse killer I've had. Some dogs live to retrieve balls or sticks. Spark lives to kill small furry things and spends a large portion of the day on the job. Some days I move the woodpile just so he can get some bit time action. 10 kill days are common.

[Linked Image]

My grandmother had a fat little black and tan rat-terrier that lived to kill mice and rats, too. If I hadn't watched it with my own eyes I don't know that I would have believed it but her dog would intentionally bait mice. You could give it a piece of biscuit but instead of eating it as most dogs would, it would take and drop it close to a mouse hole, then get back little ways and wait patiently for a mouse to come out.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

[Linked Image]

My grandmother had a fat little black and tan rat-terrier that lived to kill mice and rats, too. If I hadn't watched it with my own eyes I don't know that I would have believed it but her dog would intentionally bait mice. You could give it a piece of biscuit but instead of eating it as most dogs would, it would take and drop it close to a mouse hole, then get back little ways and wait patiently for a mouse to come out.

Now there's a smart pup. I hope your family bred that dog to keep the bloodline going!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mix plaster of Paris with some oatmeal and a few globs of peanutbutter mix it all up. They might go 10ft before they seize up ... smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

[Linked Image]

Now there's a smart pup. I hope your family bred that dog to keep the bloodline going!

Geno

I don't believe they ever did intentionally breed the dog for puppies to keep but he could have locked up with some stray bitch wandering by. I do know he had a strong desire to because if he wasn't sleeping or hunting rodents he was hunting a leg to hump. Had to shut him up somewhere when company came over especially women and kids.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

[Linked Image]

Geno

I don't believe they ever did intentionally breed the dog for puppies to keep but he could have locked up with some stray bitch wandering by. I do know he had a strong desire to because if he wasn't sleeping or hunting rodents he was hunting a leg to hump. Had to shut him up somewhere when company came over especially women and kids.

laugh laugh

That's funny, and I believe I've known a dog or two like that.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Golden Malrin fly pellets and Pepsi. U can draw a 5 foot circle around the pan and NOTHING will make it out of it. Buddy used to work in a gravel pit and the farmer that owned the land would pay bounty to him for varmints. He has had as many as 5 raccoons dead with their faces still in the pan. Beware it kills indiscriminately.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
This works well for the unwanted pests

[Linked Image]

Out lawed in Washington D.C.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My father was chief engineer over 150 engineers and draftsmen for 40 years. He got dozens of gun patents and pounded on desk tops and yelled at engineers.

His better mouse trap story was about an engineer he worked with that had patented a trap that killed the mouse, sprayed it with disinfectant, sealed it in plastic, and notified the owner with a radio signal that bounces off a meteor trail. The guy did not quit his day job, but was obsessed with his invention.

My father's job was to yell at engineers that try to design a "better mouse trap". But what you do on your own time is your own business.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did the bucket trap when I worked in the Alaska Bush. Just did peanut butter on a can and no water in the bucket.

We would catch the mice and then carry them down to the river in the bucket. I would put on a pair of gloves and then toss them into the river over a small riffle.

The mice would normally make it 5-15 feet before getting swallowed by a rainbow trout. It was awesome to watch and great nightly entertainment. Out of 20-30 mice we threw in only 1 ever made it back to the bank.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A rainbow trout big enough to eat a mouse?
I guess so...
Google takes me to videos of that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 56 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.