-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your point was saying that unsavory characters tend to own pit bulls, I agree with you. But many pit bulls that have attacked or killed were not owned by criminals.

I am sure many criminals also own labs and poodles and collies. Their labs and poodles don't seem to be doing very much killing. Certainly not Lassie, either.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I'd rather have cats than mice. Hopefully you won't wind up missing the cat... smirk

Perhaps you missed the part where the cat was on his property and left marks all over his vehicle.

It is very simple, keep any animals you own on your own property and all will be well.

If not...lose them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One of our neighbors said they hadn't seen their cat in a couple weeks. After tap dancing all over the GTO for most of that 2 weeks in my garage, I couldn't hardly tell them the last time I saw their cat, he was headed toward a dumpster...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow.....killing your neighbors cat must have given you quite the thrill.

What...didn't you see the tracks all over his vehicle, or are you another prick that thinks it is just fine and dandy to have your animal walk all over another's property.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hh you did good and saved the dogs. And likely some kids and old people the pits wouldve attacked. Off leash and prowling the neighborhood they need to be shot on sight. They were aggressive unmanaged dangerous dogs as most pit bulls are...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pits fight to the death and kill better than any other breed,,, pretty much all that they do better than other breed

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This isn't a Pit issue. Marauding behavior is a common behavior that is inherent in all dogs and is not breed specific. Marauding dogs are a problem whenever they occur, and wherever.

The formation of impromptu marauding packs can happen anytime two or more dogs are not confined, and the majority of these types of incidents are caused by other breeds. I've seen the stats and though I don't remember the line-up exactly, I don't think Pits are in the top ten.

Pits have the same dog brain all dogs do, from Chihuahuas to the Great Dane I was working with today. Their minds are basically the same, as is their psychology. They are all pack animals and follow the leader. Even well socialized dogs are no exception...it's a thinner veneer than most owners realize.

Every dog is an individual as well. Some are smarter than others is the most significant difference as to training. But the point is that they will respond to the same methods and techniques as any other dog, and Pits don't need to be beaten into submission as has been suggested here.

No dog should be allowed to run free. Even otherwise good and decent folks who are dog owners can make a bad choice by violating that one basic rule.

When I see a dog running loose I assume that death or injury is not far behind, for some other animal or the dog itself.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I raise cattle. At several nearby houses my black neighbors raise pit bulls, chows, huskies (which are domesticated wolves), etc. Cattle and killer dogs do not mix very well to a farmers way of thinking. My two other cattle farmer neighbors and I carry rifles at all times and we know what to do. One neighbor complained to a dog owner that her 5 dogs had just killed 2 calves. The neighbor replied that they couldn't control where those dogs went and didn't believe it. The cattle owner took up position with a rifle about 200 yards from the carcasses. sure enough it was not long, they returned. Bless my neighbor's heart, he got all 5, shot the alpha dog first. I keep cameras out at all times and a loaded .30-06 with me at all times. Longest shot I've connected with a pit-bull is 406 yards. Hornady SST keeps me in the cattle business.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Reminds me of a jingle I heard here on the campfire a few years ago.

"There ain't many problems a man can't fix with a pocket full of shells and a 30-06."

I'd say the SST works very well for that application.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marauding predators are treated equally on my daughters place and we are animal lovers. Loose cats, dogs, raccoon's,coyotes, lizards Et Al are treated with lead bullets! We have always had cats & dogs as pets, but they were house pets and do not run loose. They seem to live fairly long lives in our care for that reason.

My prediction on the owner of the attacking pit the deputies shot the other day was on TV and in the paper complaining they did not need to shoot his "pet". He did this after he bonded out on drug charges.......

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T LEE

My prediction on the owner of the attacking pit the deputies shot the other day was on TV and in the paper complaining they did not need to shoot his "pet". He did this after he bonded out on drug charges.......

If I didn't know better, I'd swear there was a pattern...

Maybe not a pattern, just a proclivity.

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 01/24/16.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
They just have something not quite right bred into them. What gets me, though, is the owners that allow them to live even AFTER they have shown their true colors. If they had been MY dogs, I would have personally put them down after they got ahold of my Mom's Chihuahua a year ago.

hilham,

Are you saying the same two dogs that got in and attacked your moms dog in the garage, one of which you shot, did the same thing a year ago. Did you file a report then? Confront the owners at that time?

One reason I ask , in a few states there are "vicious" dog laws. Depending on the severity of the attack, they get one "free ride", on the second the owners relinquish control and the dog is euthanized. If you have record of the first attack and can show the surviving dog was involved in the most recent attack and the earlier one on the Chihuahua, perhaps the "gentleman" who removed his dead dog from your truck just might be out another dog.

Sounds to me like the "people" are the real issue here, sorta like parents that let their kids run without control.

Geno

Geno, they got ahold of it somewhere outside, but nobody saw it, so I couldn't prove it. I've been waiting to catch them on our side of the hill, but this was the 1st opportunity that presented itself. I just wish I could have caught them BEFORE they attacked her dogs. By the way, they attacked all 3 when she let them out to potty, but then concentrated on Roscoe.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Mink
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Mink
I am one of those that thinks any dog raised right is not a menace. The damn owners should be shot IMO as well. Hope the pup (Moms) came out alright.
Sorry, but the pit bull breed has a touch of schizophrenia. They've been known to snap for reasons totally unknown and attack anyone and everyone. Even highly trained ones have turned killer without reason and many people have paid the price, even their owners. I won't allow one on my property.

The same has been said (with justification) about Dobermans, German Shepherds and Rottweilers at one point or another. Irresponsible breeding combined with even more irresponsible ownership can always result in deviations from the norm. Just my opinion.

I would add the red parenthetical.

Understandable, large breeds have the potential to do greater harm if an incident does occur. You never hear about the marauding Pomeranian or such because someone would just punt their ass.

Not to take away at all from the OP....definitely sounds like a justified kill. Dog is better off dead than roaming the streets like that as a menace.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
This isn't a Pit issue. Marauding behavior is a common behavior that is inherent in all dogs and is not breed specific. Marauding dogs are a problem whenever they occur, and wherever.

The formation of impromptu marauding packs can happen anytime two or more dogs are not confined, and the majority of these types of incidents are caused by other breeds. I've seen the stats and though I don't remember the line-up exactly, I don't think Pits are in the top ten.

Pits have the same dog brain all dogs do, from Chihuahuas to the Great Dane I was working with today. Their minds are basically the same, as is their psychology. They are all pack animals and follow the leader. Even well socialized dogs are no exception...it's a thinner veneer than most owners realize.

Every dog is an individual as well. Some are smarter than others is the most significant difference as to training. But the point is that they will respond to the same methods and techniques as any other dog, and Pits don't need to be beaten into submission as has been suggested here.

No dog should be allowed to run free. Even otherwise good and decent folks who are dog owners can make a bad choice by violating that one basic rule.

When I see a dog running loose I assume that death or injury is not far behind, for some other animal or the dog itself.

You are so full of [bleep] you wouldn't even flush anymore.

Dogs have VERY distinct character traits bred in. I do not ever expect a pit to point a bird like my setter who does it because she can't help herself. I don't ever expect to hear of a setter killing people. There's a fugking reason nobody uses pits for police K9s.

This is a pit issue you idiot! Pits go into kill mode when the switch flips. Rotts do it too. Whether another breed bites is not the issue. Other breeds bite and then back out and leave because kill mode s bred out of them. Police K9s have to be trained to bite and hold. If they don't need to be trained to do both, they are a liability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I'd rather have cats than mice. Hopefully you won't wind up missing the cat... smirk

Perhaps you missed the part where the cat was on his property and left marks all over his vehicle.

It is very simple, keep any animals you own on your own property and all will be well.

If not...lose them.

I keep my pets properly confined. But I think I'd close the garage door before I killed someone's pet. (and the cat in the photo looks well fed, not feral) Or if it were causing problems, at least use a humane trap and take it to the pound, and let the jerk owner go get it.

I'm not saying don't deal with problem animals, but friendly strays and lost pets get some consideration here.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boogaloo,

Humans have human brains. But in an article I read a guy decided to investigate why there are no two story building in Africa except where "white" people were in charge. He discovered the typical IQ is around 70. The typical IQ for whites is 100, for Asians it is 108 and for Israelis it is 112. I would be willing to bet if there was a way to test dog brains you would discover they are not all the same from "Chihuahuas to the Great Dane."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ringman
I would be willing to bet if there was a way to test dog brains you would discover they are not all the same from "Chihuahuas to the Great Dane."

I could save you a lot of trouble with any test. Bigger dogs are nearly always smarter than little ones, although there are rare exceptions, and that covers intelligence only. Breed traits are another story entirely. There's no way my Dachshund, no matter how much I love him, is anywhere near as smart as my daughter's black Lab. My mother's Chihuahua is so stone cold stupid that I think he forgets to breath sometimes, but she loves him. I can't stand him, but I won't stand around and watch him, or any other dog, get torn apart by marauding Pit Bulls.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 01/25/16.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a dog problem once. The neighbor would let there dog out and it would bark all night.I respectfully approached and visited the owner. The owner rather beligerantly told me to piss off. The next night the neighbor let his dog out once again at around midnight. At 12:05 a big rock was thrown through his sliding glass window. I went over to the neighbors the next day and once again in a less respectful way expressed my desire to avoid trouble or even potential harm to my beligerant neighbor. Apparently he'd never encountered someone like myself as he stuttered in a shaking and somewhat scared voice his desire to be a more respectful neighbor. He never said one word about the Rock and I'm guessing the look in my eyes likely had the scared bully neighbor refraining from any further confrontation.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Reminds me of a jingle I heard here on the campfire a few years ago.

"There ain't many problems a man can't fix with a pocket full of shells and a 30-06."

I'd say the SST works very well for that application.

Off the subject, but here's the whole poem:

"Grandpa's Lesson."

Pappy took to drinkin' back when I was barely three.
Ma got pretty quiet. She was frettin', you could see.
So I was sent to Grandpa and he raised me up real good.
He taught me what I oughta and he taught me what I should.

I learned a heap 'o lessons from the yarns he liked to tell.
There's one I won't forget because I learned it 'speshly well.
There jist ain't many folk who live a peaceful, carefree life.
Along with all the good times there'll be lotsa grief and strife.

But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Grandpa courted Grandma near the town of old Cheyenne.
Her daddy was cantankerous - a very greedy man.
He wouldn't give permission for a fancy wedding day
'Til grandpa paid a dowry - biggest ever people say.

Her daddy softened up when Grandpa said that he could fix
Him up with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six.

Grandpa herded cattle down around Jalisco way.
Ended up behind some iron bars one dusty day.
Seems the local jefe craved my Grandpa's pinto mare.
Grandpa wouldn't sell her so he lit on out of there.

Didn't take much doin' 'cept a couple special tricks
Plus seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six.

Then there was that Faro game near San Francisco Bay.
Grandpa's cards was smokin' hot and he took all one day.
He woke up nearly naked in a ditch next early morn'.
With nothin' but his flannel shirt, and it was ripped and torn.

Those others were professionals and they don't play for kicks.
He lost seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six.

He begged some woolen trousers off the local storekeep there
Who loaned him both a pony and a rifle on a dare.
He caught those thievin' cardsharks at another Faro game.
He got back all his property and also his good name.

He left one bleedin' badly and another mostly lame.
My Grandpa's trusty rifle shoots just where you choose to aim.

Grandpa's slowin' down a bit and just the other night
He handed me his rifle and a box sealed up real tight.
He fixed me with them pale grey eyes and this is what he said,
"You're awful young but steady too and I will soon be dead.

I'll bet this here old rifle and this honest money too
Will come in mighty handy just as readily for you.
There jist ain't many folk who lead a carefree peaceful life.
Along with times of happiness, there's always woe and strife.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some people are born with mild, passivist brains, others are born with with terrible tempers and short fuses. Schizophrenics are short circuited so they can switch back and forth in seconds. It's the same thing with dogs. The pits seem to have a genetic propensity to schizophrenia. They can switch from passivist to killers in a second and attack even their beloved owners. Several years ago, our minister's nephew visited. He had the side of his head taped up where the family's friendly pit had turned on him without warning and about torn his ear off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No dog should be permitted to roam free, especially any dog physically capable of doing serious harm to anyone. My neighbor allows his little male Chihuahua to roam free, and simply doesn't care, as he doesn't much care if he gets run over, and doesn't believe it could harm anyone, even if he wanted to. Among dogs physically capable of doing harm, Pitbulls are likely at the very top. Thus it's a very high degree of negligence for an owner to allow his Pitbull to roam free, and there should be serious consequences attached to any harm done by his dog if his being loose is due to his negligence or recklessness. Same for any large and capable dog.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 33 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,518
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.