S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Originally Posted by acooper1983
If the dog was attacking, then you did nothing wrong, but theres a lot of you guys that don't understand the breed , I've got 2 of them sitting right next to me, they're not dogs for inexperienced owners, and thats why there is problems with them. about 5% of the owners that have them should have them, they're stubborn, powerful, intelligent breed, but you can't train them like some sissy ass lab or a bird dog. Given the right training, and a knowledgeable individual they are fantastic dogs, my training would be called border line animal abuse, but my dogs mind, and know who the boss is, all it takes is a look and they are running to their corners.

Right there is part of the problem. Macho dog owners.
BTW- When it comes to dog intelligence the "sissy Labs" rank 7th and the Bull Terrier doesn't even crack the top 60. Pitt Bulls ain't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Even with the threat of a another nut kicking challenge, I have to disagree with the supposed intelligence quotient given to breeds. Maybe some validity in the most basic way but like people, it mostly comes down to the individual. Although I do think the less refined/domesticated the breed is the higher the IQ value, such as primitive/pariah type breeds.

A dog may be less trainable than others or not do well in set up IQ tests but that may be them just not wanting to mess with it. Case in point, our old GSD came to recall and other basic commands just fine but in the big scheme of things she was about as low IQ as they come. Our Karelian Bear dog would out smart her in his sleep with one paw tied behind his tail, and did it constantly. The breeder the GSD came from had been supplying local law enforcement with dogs so she had the "breeding", poor thing just got the crap end of the litter.

Well, maybe I will serve as your second, seeing as how you had a Karelian. cool

Geno

PS, naahh, but it's still cool you not only know what one is but owned one

Our third is sleeping behind me at the moment. Picked him up as a rescue. Goofy knot head and a big woos compared to the other two but still a good dog.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Been nearly a week now, and the one I missed has gone incognito. He won't even chase my truck anymore.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shrapnel, you caught a cat in a trap? You are a sick, and weak man. You are pitiful.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
There's the rub. They all are...... until they ain't.

That's a problem when my neighbor can own a dog that can kill my child.
I told my wife there will never be on my street a pit-bull.
I will gut shoot that SOB and send him home to die. And not say a word to anyone.
As for the cats same thing.
If you complain to the owner it could cause more problems. Believe I know

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
After reading through this thread, there is some wisdom, some ignorance, and some good ol' fashioned stupid. To wit:

Originally Posted by 673
I bet the owners of the dogs in this thread are drug riddled idiots.

Not this one. My geriatric pit & I will take that bet for an easy $100k.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mugadutz

I told my wife there will never be on my street a pit-bul
l.
I will gut shoot that SOB and send him home to die. And not say a word to anyone.

mugadutz?

and if your neighbor happens to own a Rottweiler? St Bernard? Mastiff? Bull Terrier? German Shepherd Dog? Cane Corso? Giant Schnauser? Black Russian Terrier? Labradoodle? Pudlepointer? etc etc etc?

Those all are dogs "that can kill" your child. Every one of them.

Would you "gut shoot" any of these breeds if your neighbor had them?

Or only "pit bulls"? Are you an "expert" in identifying "pit bulls"? Do they just have to "look like a pit bull"?

Here's what happened to the pros (I highlighted an important part for you if you are going to "gut shoot" other peoples "pit bulls".

The Veterinary Journal

Volume 206, Issue 2, November 2015, Pages 197–202

Inconsistent identification of pit bull-type dogs by shelter staff

K.R. Olsona, J.K. Levya, , , B. Norbyb, M.M. Crandalla, J.E. Broadhurstc, S. Jacksd, R.C. Bartone, M.S. Zimmermanf

Show more doi:10.1016/j.tvjl.2015.07.019
Get rights and content Under a Creative Commons license

Open Access

Highlights

• Animal shelter staff and veterinarians are frequently expected to guess the breed of dogs based on appearance alone.

• Even when observing the same dogs at the same time, shelter staff had only moderate agreement with breed designations.

• One in five dogs genetically identified with pit bull heritage breeds were missed by all shelter staff.

One in three dogs lacking DNA for pit bull heritage breeds were labeled pit bull-type dogs by at least one staff member.

Lack of consistency among shelter staff indicates that visual identification of pit bull-type dogs is unreliable.

Here's a link to the full journal article if you're interested.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109002331500310X

If you're gonna start shootin' you better be damn sure you know what you're shootin' at . Even staff at vet clinics (they probably see a few dogs there, ya think?) have a 1/3 chance of calling a dog with NO DNA of "pit bull" a pit bull, so you just mgiht shoot someone's dearly beloved mutt.

That last line from the highlights of the article is really important so I'll put part of it up again:

"visual identification of pit bull-type dogs is unreliable"

Have fun gut shooting folks dogs.

Geno

PS, I have absolutely no problem with what HillamHawk had to do, so I don't have an issue shooting a dog that's in attack mode.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Thanks. I think Pits get a bad rap for the most part as everyone of them I've encountered have been big pussy cats.
The pure pits I've owned have been precisely that. Introduction to a stranger was, to them, the introduction of someone else to joyfully celebrate the presence of. Not a hostile thought would occur to them during such an introduction (Quite the opposite was the case with my two German Shepherds).

Their genetics give to them an ability to enjoy a fight without fear, and to persist in it till near death, but that doesn't seem to have the effect of making them human-aggressive by nature. I wouldn't even call the trait animal-aggressiveness. Mainly it's a lack of fear of aggression or injury. The result is that it's quite easy to encourage animal-aggression in a Pitbull. Discourage it from puppyhood, though, and they don't seem to exhibit it any more than most breeds. Their minds are far more complex than that of a fighting cock. The latter's fighting prowess comes significantly from an inbred pugnacious attitude. Not so with the Pitbull.

A Pitbull's ability and tendency to stick with a fight, and be quite destructive in one, though, is why you shouldn't leave them alone with other animals, even if you have one that's generally non-aggressive towards them. Other dogs in that case might display aggression, which will be happily met by your Pitbull, to unfortunate outcome.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Our sweet girl from 9 years ago. Sadly, she's nearly at the end of her road now.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps the whole issue of aggressive critters can be summed up by the fact that in nature, one is generally either dominant or submissive. Whichever role the "owner" takes on, their critter will likely take on the balancing opposite. With savvy and determination, one can rather quickly get a critter to capitulate the dominant position in short order or in due course with some knowledgeable encouragement. I've had the good fortune to do it with everything from a charging griz while steelhead fishing the Skeena tributaries (not such good fortune) to a goodly number of roosters in our family's flock....

When one isn't solidly on the dominant camp and "owns" a pit, it can be a recipe for disaster. The OP's tale of events as testament to same. In the case of ankle biters, they're just dismissed for being cute and the unhealthy relationship is reinforced.

For those so inclined, take a few minutes to watch this video of Cesar Millan working with the People more than the aggressive pit. Watch the unspoken body language of all the actors and how they change. Listen to the words they use to describe their relationship around the dog. Watch how the dog shifts from fearful/aggressive/dominant to balance the initial relationships as the owners make their own shifts. Perhaps the same things apply to the out of control teenager in your own home. There are some amazing gifts that can come from a pit, if one can perceive the silver lining beyond the narrow confines of fear and prejudice....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Evidently you bleeding heart, goody two shoes probably don't have any kids, and if you do are you going to take a chance. I will eliminate the dog before it eliminates my child.
And further more there are to many dogs and cats out there, some just need to be eliminated.

Plus you people probably voted for Obama.
And your wife will vote for Hillary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll kill if killing is needed.
I'll get no pleasure from it.
I won't be on a web site bragging about it.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Evidently you bleeding heart, goody two shoes probably don't have any kids, and if you do are you going to take a chance. I will eliminate the dog before it eliminates my child.
And further more there are to many dogs and cats out there, some just need to be eliminated.

A pos like you had better be slick. I catch you fn with my dogs, while secured on my property, and it would be hell to pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I told my wife there will never be on my street a pit-bul
l.

mugadutz?

and if your neighbor happens to own a Rottweiler? St Bernard? Mastiff? Bull Terrier? German Shepherd Dog? Cane Corso? Giant Schnauser? Black Russian Terrier? Labradoodle? Pudlepointer? etc etc etc?

Those all are dogs "that can kill" your child. Every one of them.

Would you "gut shoot" any of these breeds if your neighbor had them?

Or only "pit bulls"? Are you an "expert" in identifying "pit bulls"? Do they just have to "look like a pit bull"?

Here's what happened to the pros (I highlighted an important part for you if you are going to "gut shoot" other peoples "pit bulls".

The Veterinary Journal

Volume 206, Issue 2, November 2015, Pages 197–202

Inconsistent identification of pit bull-type dogs by shelter staff

K.R. Olsona, J.K. Levya, , , B. Norbyb, M.M. Crandalla, J.E. Broadhurstc, S. Jacksd, R.C. Bartone, M.S. Zimmermanf

Show more doi:10.1016/j.tvjl.2015.07.019
Get rights and content Under a Creative Commons license

Open Access

Highlights

• Animal shelter staff and veterinarians are frequently expected to guess the breed of dogs based on appearance alone.

• Even when observing the same dogs at the same time, shelter staff had only moderate agreement with breed designations.

• One in five dogs genetically identified with pit bull heritage breeds were missed by all shelter staff.

One in three dogs lacking DNA for pit bull heritage breeds were labeled pit bull-type dogs by at least one staff member.

Lack of consistency among shelter staff indicates that visual identification of pit bull-type dogs is unreliable.

Here's a link to the full journal article if you're interested.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109002331500310X

If you're gonna start shootin' you better be damn sure you know what you're shootin' at . Even staff at vet clinics (they probably see a few dogs there, ya think?) have a 1/3 chance of calling a dog with NO DNA of "pit bull" a pit bull, so you just mgiht shoot someone's dearly beloved mutt.

That last line from the highlights of the article is really important so I'll put part of it up again:

"visual identification of pit bull-type dogs is unreliable"

Have fun gut shooting folks dogs.

Geno

PS, I have absolutely no problem with what HillamHawk had to do, so I don't have an issue shooting a dog that's in attack mode.

When we adopted our shelter dog I bet 60% of the dogs they had were labeled "Australian Shepards". I never realized they were quite so abundant. crazy

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by rrconductor
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One of our neighbors said they hadn't seen their cat in a couple weeks. After tap dancing all over the GTO for most of that 2 weeks in my garage, I couldn't hardly tell them the last time I saw their cat, he was headed toward a dumpster...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That would get you a court date in SC, especially since you put it on the WWW. Just saying.

Posting the nonsense quoted above WILL establish you forever forward as a smarmy, somewhat uptight, dour, humorless, and probably terminally constipated chit bag.

I owned / maintained a little private "Songbird Sanctuary" on a major migration path / flyway, once.......100+ nesting boxes.

Maintained my own not so little "Pet Cemetery", (Thank you Marlin Rifle Co. for the Model 39, and thanks CCI for the CB Short).I learned an awful lot about just how screwed up this domestic and feral cat problem really IS, whilst living through that episode.

Want your Cat at HOME, alive ?

Keep your cat at home.

"Cat Lovers", that don't like what i just typed can kiss my American Azz.

"Just saying"

GTC

Brutal behavior and quote, GTC. mad

BTW.......Ummmmm.....to hijack this thread just a little bit......aren't you the same guy who hounded (no pun intended) and continually tried to publicly discredit Stripbuckhunter for a couple years over your very same philosophy regarding marauding, killing, biting pets and his similar thread describing this very same thing about dogs? All he did was to state the very same things mentioned here 100 times. And mentioned by you above.

What gives?? confused

"Just asking".

Last edited by Hombre; 01/31/16.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

mugadutz,

interesting post there.

but not one answer to any of the questions I asked

Thanks for "discussing" the issue, as is the intent of "forums":

From Merriam-Webster:

forum
noun fo·rum \ˈfȯr-əm\
Simple Definition of forum
Popularity: Top 40% of words

: a meeting at which a subject can be discussed

: a place or opportunity for discussing a subject

: a large public place in an ancient Roman city that was used as the center of business

Geno

PS, my wife might just vote for Hillary. What does that have to do with the subject at hand?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

A Pitbull's ability and tendency to stick with a fight, and be quite destructive in one, though, is why you shouldn't leave them alone with other animals, even if you have one that's generally non-aggressive towards them. Other dogs in that case might display aggression, which will be happily met by your Pitbull, to unfortunate outcome.

You didn't get a fugking bit smarter in your time away from here did you? You idiot! The issue is their tendency to attack a child and keep going untl they kill it. That has not one [bleep] thing to do with a fight.

People like you are why I think euthanasia is a good idea. You won't figure out YOU'RE the problem even when it come up and bite you on the ass quite literally. Until you and the other [bleep] who think this isn't the problem get a clue this kind of [bleep] will keep happening.

Last edited by MILES58; 01/31/16.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Risk vs. Reward

I don't see a specific reward of owning a pit over a different breed of dog that doesn't come with the baggage. -tnscouter

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

A pos like you had better be slick. I catch you fn with my dogs, while secured on my property, and it would be hell to pay.
He'd soon wish for death.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Oh you poor misjudged pit bull you are such a nice doggy. The neighbor kid might like you also, but oh I forgot she is in the hospital because you chewed her up.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
C'mon man. No responsible and descent dog owner of ANY breed wants an innocent person hurt by a dog. You are throwing a pretty wide net there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hombre
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by rrconductor
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One of our neighbors said they hadn't seen their cat in a couple weeks. After tap dancing all over the GTO for most of that 2 weeks in my garage, I couldn't hardly tell them the last time I saw their cat, he was headed toward a dumpster...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That would get you a court date in SC, especially since you put it on the WWW. Just saying.

Posting the nonsense quoted above WILL establish you forever forward as a smarmy, somewhat uptight, dour, humorless, and probably terminally constipated chit bag.

I owned / maintained a little private "Songbird Sanctuary" on a major migration path / flyway, once.......100+ nesting boxes.

Maintained my own not so little "Pet Cemetery", (Thank you Marlin Rifle Co. for the Model 39, and thanks CCI for the CB Short).I learned an awful lot about just how screwed up this domestic and feral cat problem really IS, whilst living through that episode.

Want your Cat at HOME, alive ?

Keep your cat at home.

"Cat Lovers", that don't like what i just typed can kiss my American Azz.

"Just saying"

GTC

Brutal behavior and quote, GTC. mad

BTW.......Ummmmm.....to hijack this thread just a little bit......aren't you the same guy who hounded (no pun intended) and continually tried to publicly discredit Stripbuckhunter for a couple years over your very same philosophy regarding marauding, killing, biting pets and his similar thread describing this very same thing about dogs? All he did was to state the very same things mentioned here 100 times. And mentioned by you above.

What gives?? confused

"Just asking".

Well, Mr. Darnell ( AKA "Stripbuckhunter / Hombre") The cats were jumping a fence and coming on MY property (well , mine, the songbirds, and my sleepy old Newf-Dog, birds would perch on him and pull hair for nests)
You were going out with your pals and killing Rancher's dogs on the rancher's property,....

You chose to write that up here, not I.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 29aholic, 47 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,289
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.