Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Of course its on the AR-15 website so it just must be true!!! I have no idea what ammunition he was supposedly using however I just use a 50 meter and will continue to do so as my brain is slow and old, but I can hit a baseball sized rock at 25 yards (dot goes on top) 50 (dot goes in center) 100 on a 3 inch red target (dot goes on bottom I cannot see a rock that good at 100) shooting off of a pine tree all without overthinking the situation nor having to learn Tactical speak.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The video/target from Travis is what happens when you use improper tests- how is he insuring that he is holdIMG in the exact spot for each shot? He's not.

We use a 100 yard/m zero across the board where I am. After lots and lots of testing, theory, and actual use- a 100 yard zero results in the most hits on realistic sized (8 inch and smaller) targets from contact to 200 yards and matches the 200m zero from 200-300 yards for hits on the same targets for a variety of reasons-

1) The bullet never crosses your line of sight- it's always on the dot or low.

2) You do not have a "200 yard" zero unless you make point of impact match point of aim AT 200 yards.

3) 100 yards is close enough that shot groupings are small enough to adequately find the center, yet far enough to show errors in zero the are masked at closer ranges. Farther than 100 yards and environmental factors start being a problem.

4) Red dots are truly 200m and in optics, and really 100-150m and in. The 100 yard or meter zero is iptimiz d for these ranges. Optics other than red dots are zeroed at 100 regardless. Continuity is good.

5) Offsets from side gun are significantly reduced with a 100 yard zero compared to all others.

6) Human tendency is to aim right on the target or high when under stress of any kind. Aiming under the face and into the wall that the person is hiding behind and shooting at you from is difficult for most people mentally and emotionally.

Originally Posted by rost495

I"m not striving for all in the heart. I run the other way, I'd just as soon put as many bullets in as many vitals as I can.

Intersting. How long do deer live when you "put as many bullets in as many vitals as you can"....?

And if they were a person how many rounds could/would they fire in that time...? And how may of those rounds could/would hit family, you, or innocents.....?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[video:youtube]ovYFkxdKJ8g[/video]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Zero your gun regularly. Novel advice.

100 yd zero I don't know, let me try it this week

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Never mind, this one was linked early on in the thread.

Last edited by jds44; 02/01/16. Reason: already linked
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The net is good for ideas but you really need to shoot for yourself.

A lot of the folks who use the 50 yard/200 meter zero never know that their load does not match. I zero my scoped AR's at 200 yards because it fits my coyote hunting. I'm also just over an inch high at 100 yards after confirming for myself. This allows me to hold on fur out to 300 yards and I've had very few instances where shots were less than 50 yards, even fewer less than 20. If I set up for close shots, I carry a shotgun or a red dot equipped AR.

The red dot zeroed at 100 yards is set up for close range with the ability to reach out to 150-175.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The video/target from Travis is what happens when you use improper tests- how is he insuring that he is holdIMG in the exact spot for each shot? He's not.

We use a 100 yard/m zero across the board where I am. After lots and lots of testing, theory, and actual use- a 100 yard zero results in the most hits on realistic sized (8 inch and smaller) targets from contact to 200 yards and matches the 200m zero from 200-300 yards for hits on the same targets for a variety of reasons-

1) The bullet never crosses your line of sight- it's always on the dot or low.

2) You do not have a "200 yard" zero unless you make point of impact match point of aim AT 200 yards.

3) 100 yards is close enough that shot groupings are small enough to adequately find the center, yet far enough to show errors in zero the are masked at closer ranges. Farther than 100 yards and environmental factors start being a problem.

4) Red dots are truly 200m and in optics, and really 100-150m and in. The 100 yard or meter zero is iptimiz d for these ranges. Optics other than red dots are zeroed at 100 regardless. Continuity is good.

5) Offsets from side gun are significantly reduced with a 100 yard zero compared to all others.

6) Human tendency is to aim right on the target or high when under stress of any kind. Aiming under the face and into the wall that the person is hiding behind and shooting at you from is difficult for most people mentally and emotionally.

Originally Posted by rost495

I"m not striving for all in the heart. I run the other way, I'd just as soon put as many bullets in as many vitals as I can.

Intersting. How long do deer live when you "put as many bullets in as many vitals as you can"....?

And if they were a person how many rounds could/would they fire in that time...? And how may of those rounds could/would hit family, you, or innocents.....?

Deer I would hope everyone would treat differently. I put an arrow in the deer and let em run off.....

You can do what you want, but Lord forbid I ever have to shoot someone, I"m going to put more than one round in them. I don't have family. I"m ok. Everyone in my house is in the same room. I"m still ok.

I live in the country. Any round I fire is going to have to go at least 400 yards before the chance of hitting someone else.
YMMV

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I had it sighted in at 100, but got to thinking that I will not likely shoot that far with the rifle in its main purpose. I then sighted it in at 50 and this seems like a much better set up.

Thoughts?

Discussions of the US Armed Forces doctrine for a (BZ) Battlesight Zero vs. the later Lt. Colonel Santose’ doctrine for an (IBZ) Improved Battlesight Zero vs. the even later civilian (Revised) shorter range RIBZ, will often degrade into a debate much like an optics pissing match over who makes the best scope. What works for one, may not work for another.

To the OP, you can slice it up six ways to Sunday, bottom line, look at what you have, what you intend to shoot, and how far you need to shoot and still hit the darn thing. The below link has a pretty good visual target simulation, using an SBR, 14.5 Carbine, 16 Carbine, and 18 Rifle; shooting 193, 855, and 262 ammo. Good simple visual aid to compare POI with the differing combinations. Though USMC 318, and FED LE 62 training ammo is omitted, I’ve run both, in addition to those listed, and they all run pretty close to the same within those ranges. However, the 262, the 318, and even the 62 training ammo start to show their stuff, compared to the 193 around 400 yards or so, and of course, I think 855 is junk, so I pay it no mind. If you shoot an SBR, the 262 seems to upset well in terminal performance at the slower velocities when compared to the 193, so it is not just a good long range round.

It sounds like you have little interest in shooting beyond mid-range. I, however, would not let a micro, even a 4moa dot, and for that matter, even a good BUIS set, preclude me from shooting center mass on a man sized torso, or a predator the size of a ‘yote, well beyond 150 yards.

Good luck on whatever route you choose, but note, even if shooting 262s out of an SBR with intent for close quarters inside 50yds, a 50 yard/200 meter zero, ala IBZ, would work exceedingly well. And as for mid-range, on something the size of a yote up through a man sized torso, you’d stay under a couple inches of your point of aim, but in addition, you’d not drop out the bottom more than a couple inches until around 250 or so yards. Even with a 4moa dot, it is very easy to hit a man sized torso at 300 yards holding chest high, 400 yards holding top of head, and though I prefer a T2, even with the 4moa, a dot holdover above the head will drop the bullet into the chest at 500 yards. Very easy peasy, which is why so many follow the later IBZ doctrine to point blank max out the range of the 5.56 cartridge in that platform having a reduced high arc of the older BZ, while for the sake of this discussion, having a reduced and much more manageable holdover for the longer shots, in comparison to the RIBZ, for those who want to stretch the rifle out down range. Even for close quarter stuff with a much slower SBR, the bullet gets closer to your POA, faster, and stays closer to the aiming point out to 50 yards than an RIBZ. But in reality, at the distances you are talking about in this discussion, you’d not miss a yote because of either zero method, or because of having a 4moa dot.

Best, it is all fun, try them all for yourself!

http://arma-dynamics.com/zero-considerations.html

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I like the 100 yard zero as well. The only thing I did not like about my SWFA 1-4 is the hashes are set up for a 200 yard zero. I am still getting the feel of it but am leaning towards a 100 yard zero and then just confirming the drops for the rest of the marks.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
GaryVA, appreciate the link!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
thank you for posting this, I am going to print it out and put it into my reference books.

For my purposes I do not see a distinct advantage for a red dot sighted gun for the 100 yard zero over the 50 yard zero.

Other than splitting hairs what am I missing?????

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are shooting silhouettes at 25, 50 and 100, you're not missing anything. The 50/200 works just fine.

If you're shooting small targets like say a hostage target where the white target covers all but a 2" portion of the brown at 3 yards or at 82 yards, then your mind has to remember high or low?

Zeroing at 100 is just easier to remember under stress. Throw in a scope where longer ranges can be utilized and expected, then I'll take the 50/200. But in truth the 100 zero is still easier to deal with.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I like the 100 yard zero as well. The only thing I did not like about my SWFA 1-4 is the hashes are set up for a 200 yard zero. I am still getting the feel of it but am leaning towards a 100 yard zero and then just confirming the drops for the rest of the marks.

The hashes on the 1-4x SWFA Classic are mil based. All SWFA did was "tell" people that is a BDC, it's not. You can do the exact same thing with any mil reticle.

From center dot to first hash (maybe the gap) is .5 mil, after that it's in 1.0 mil increments.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there does not appear to be a "right" or "wrong" only what suits your anticipated needs and what you are more familiar with.

Like the man said "you pays your money and you takes your chances" on parachutes, life boats, life preservers, SD firearms and AR15 zeros.

I have sold my HK Squeeze Cocker, my AK47's, rarely carry a revolver anymore. Wheres the safety on this gun anyway, press that button to turn on the sight, I can hit a man sized target at 500 yards with my 5 MOA AK47 every time and did so the last time I shot it in 1996....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have sold my HK Squeeze Cocker, my AK47's, rarely carry a revolver anymore. Wheres the safety on this gun anyway, press that button to turn on the sight, I can hit a man sized target at 500 yards with my 5 MOA AK47 every time and did so the last time I shot it in 1996....

You having flashbacks on your WASR 10?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
some of you guys buy guns like a rat on acid, you got to me more deliberate than that considering the zombies and all.

forgot to use the sarcasm font again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
TWR, I get it remembering everything is under the line of sight is easier. AL (all low)!

The last deer I killed ran past me at about 10 yards and yes I shot low into its shoulder, this scoped 6.8 was zeroed at 100 and sure it shot lower than I aimed so I had to shoot it again.

The nuances of the gun are often forgotten when the shooting starts. I have shot off a branch or 3 in my life and once shot a 1 inch diam tree down with a black powder gun but I killed that deer too.

Here is my question to the group. Given this discussion regards the AR always hitting low within inside the home ranges, should we be reconsidering single purpose shotguns?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 inches low should be about all the low you see.

I don't know many that can consistently hit a 2 inch target in the heat of the moment anyway... chest cavity is big....

YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's a reason lot's of 3 gun guys use off set sights for close shots.

Not saying this is right or wrong but I prefer to think of it as an angle from the bore to meet up with line of sight at 100 yards. It's easier in my simple mind to say at 50 yards it's half the drop instead of I'm on at 50 but at 30 I'm low and at 80 I'm high. The difference is only at most 2.7" but that can make a miss if you're counting X's or hearts.

If all things stood out in the open, it would make no difference but life is not always so easy.

rost said "I don't know many that can consistently hit a 2 inch target in the heat of the moment anyway... chest cavity is big...."

That's why we practice and use as many advantages as we can get. Running a red dot on silhouettes is where this can be easily seen. It is still there in hunting situations but I think we tend to chalk it up to the tenacity of the critters will to live rather than we just missed the vitals.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.