Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I had it sighted in at 100, but got to thinking that I will not likely shoot that far with the rifle in its main purpose. I then sighted it in at 50 and this seems like a much better set up.

Thoughts?

Discussions of the US Armed Forces doctrine for a (BZ) Battlesight Zero vs. the later Lt. Colonel Santose’ doctrine for an (IBZ) Improved Battlesight Zero vs. the even later civilian (Revised) shorter range RIBZ, will often degrade into a debate much like an optics pissing match over who makes the best scope. What works for one, may not work for another.

To the OP, you can slice it up six ways to Sunday, bottom line, look at what you have, what you intend to shoot, and how far you need to shoot and still hit the darn thing. The below link has a pretty good visual target simulation, using an SBR, 14.5 Carbine, 16 Carbine, and 18 Rifle; shooting 193, 855, and 262 ammo. Good simple visual aid to compare POI with the differing combinations. Though USMC 318, and FED LE 62 training ammo is omitted, I’ve run both, in addition to those listed, and they all run pretty close to the same within those ranges. However, the 262, the 318, and even the 62 training ammo start to show their stuff, compared to the 193 around 400 yards or so, and of course, I think 855 is junk, so I pay it no mind. If you shoot an SBR, the 262 seems to upset well in terminal performance at the slower velocities when compared to the 193, so it is not just a good long range round.

It sounds like you have little interest in shooting beyond mid-range. I, however, would not let a micro, even a 4moa dot, and for that matter, even a good BUIS set, preclude me from shooting center mass on a man sized torso, or a predator the size of a ‘yote, well beyond 150 yards.

Good luck on whatever route you choose, but note, even if shooting 262s out of an SBR with intent for close quarters inside 50yds, a 50 yard/200 meter zero, ala IBZ, would work exceedingly well. And as for mid-range, on something the size of a yote up through a man sized torso, you’d stay under a couple inches of your point of aim, but in addition, you’d not drop out the bottom more than a couple inches until around 250 or so yards. Even with a 4moa dot, it is very easy to hit a man sized torso at 300 yards holding chest high, 400 yards holding top of head, and though I prefer a T2, even with the 4moa, a dot holdover above the head will drop the bullet into the chest at 500 yards. Very easy peasy, which is why so many follow the later IBZ doctrine to point blank max out the range of the 5.56 cartridge in that platform having a reduced high arc of the older BZ, while for the sake of this discussion, having a reduced and much more manageable holdover for the longer shots, in comparison to the RIBZ, for those who want to stretch the rifle out down range. Even for close quarter stuff with a much slower SBR, the bullet gets closer to your POA, faster, and stays closer to the aiming point out to 50 yards than an RIBZ. But in reality, at the distances you are talking about in this discussion, you’d not miss a yote because of either zero method, or because of having a 4moa dot.

Best, it is all fun, try them all for yourself!

http://arma-dynamics.com/zero-considerations.html

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood