Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The video/target from Travis is what happens when you use improper tests- how is he insuring that he is holdIMG in the exact spot for each shot? He's not.

We use a 100 yard/m zero across the board where I am. After lots and lots of testing, theory, and actual use- a 100 yard zero results in the most hits on realistic sized (8 inch and smaller) targets from contact to 200 yards and matches the 200m zero from 200-300 yards for hits on the same targets for a variety of reasons-

1) The bullet never crosses your line of sight- it's always on the dot or low.

2) You do not have a "200 yard" zero unless you make point of impact match point of aim AT 200 yards.

3) 100 yards is close enough that shot groupings are small enough to adequately find the center, yet far enough to show errors in zero the are masked at closer ranges. Farther than 100 yards and environmental factors start being a problem.

4) Red dots are truly 200m and in optics, and really 100-150m and in. The 100 yard or meter zero is iptimiz d for these ranges. Optics other than red dots are zeroed at 100 regardless. Continuity is good.

5) Offsets from side gun are significantly reduced with a 100 yard zero compared to all others.

6) Human tendency is to aim right on the target or high when under stress of any kind. Aiming under the face and into the wall that the person is hiding behind and shooting at you from is difficult for most people mentally and emotionally.

Originally Posted by rost495

I"m not striving for all in the heart. I run the other way, I'd just as soon put as many bullets in as many vitals as I can.

Intersting. How long do deer live when you "put as many bullets in as many vitals as you can"....?

And if they were a person how many rounds could/would they fire in that time...? And how may of those rounds could/would hit family, you, or innocents.....?

Deer I would hope everyone would treat differently. I put an arrow in the deer and let em run off.....

You can do what you want, but Lord forbid I ever have to shoot someone, I"m going to put more than one round in them. I don't have family. I"m ok. Everyone in my house is in the same room. I"m still ok.

I live in the country. Any round I fire is going to have to go at least 400 yards before the chance of hitting someone else.
YMMV

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....