-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 111 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 110 111
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good Tom. Thanks for the work you undertook - just to scout for us. We really can not be thanking you enough.

This just in from my way to bed, turning down the radiator in my wifes office, me thinks:

"My, that field looks peculiar..."

Camera instead of canon:

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockchucker
anyone got an extra light i could borrow or steal

yes, you could borrow one of my Browning 150 lumen green lights. They are good for about 100 yards, tops, though. Comes with rail mount for a picatiny rail.

Think I'm going to ante up for a XLR 252 light. They come with a dimmer switch so you can gradually turn up the brightness.

May need to re-think rifles w/o scopes...

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/17/16.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

...One word for everybody. Pigs often come in just past shooting light but not black dark. I managed to spook off two sounders by lighting them up at this time. Had I shown some patience and let them feed till black dark, they would have held still, which others did after dark....

You see any of them in the morning?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
ok thanks patrick.

while were on the subject i need some socks, a straw hat, snake chaps, a belt, a bandoleer, and some new t-shirts.

sincerely,

bobby the mooch

FJB
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

...One word for everybody. Pigs often come in just past shooting light but not black dark. I managed to spook off two sounders by lighting them up at this time. Had I shown some patience and let them feed till black dark, they would have held still, which others did after dark....

You see any of them in the morning?

Yeah....I killed one just at shooting light one morning......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good job, Ingwe! What'd they weigh? Did you feel under-gunned without the Ingwe Special? I was putting it to work while you were away.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
85lbs and 125lbs.

Never under gunned with the McFlame wink

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I see a lot of people mounting their lights on the scope tube. I guess recoil doesn't cause any scope trouble with all that mass way up above the bore? These are brand new to me.

I've used 3 different lights on at least a dozen rifles from 223AI to 375 H&H. I noticed no problems or damage to lights or scopes.

[Linked Image]

Merkel k1, half stock, 9.3 x 74R. (taken with i-phone)

Since I may use 4 or more different rifles while at the Petting Zoo, I like the universal mount.

[Linked Image]

here is a link.........

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/Universal-scope-mount-p/usm.htm

it does not have elevation or windage adjustments, but you can carry your rifle to the stand in a scabbard or hard case, then mount the light in a minute or so just before dark. One can take toothpicks or twigs or ever paper if a shim is necessary. If we are to be shooting at 50 to 100 yds. windage and elevation should not be much of a factor.

Links.........

Allpredatorcalls.com

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/

and Elusive Wildlife Technologies probably have them also.

http://elusivewildlife.com/

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
While I'm on the subject, hopefully you guys won't think I'm presumtious with the following......

I've not been to the lodge where we will be staying, but am somewhat familiar with the topography, flora, fauna and climate of the South Texas brush country. I know that we will not be packing in on mules or by foot etc. However here are some things that I pretty much always have in my pack.........

[Linked Image]

First and foremost is Water: One is easily dehydrated in this country. IIRC, caffine and alcohol are diuretics. It can be in the 90's and high humidity. Two liters of water is good.

Flagging tape: This will most likely be brush country. It is easy to get turned around if you leave your stand AM or PM and don't pay attention. If you shoot an animal and it ain't DRT, either wait for the guide or wait 5 to 10 minutes, find a blood trail at the POI and start marking your trail.

Track back or GPS: I've had fog roll in on me a couple times and I got completely turned around. A GPS will get you squared away.

Headlight: Going out in the AM before daybreak and coming in at night after dark. Hoglets typically don't wear lights. I know this is private property and we should be the only ones hunting, but one can't be too safe.

Shooting Stix: Work well for giving one a second point of stabilization for a rifle.

Heavy duty Trash Bag: The largest heaviest trash bag you can find. A contractor bag is what I use. Hypothermia can be a bitch. With one of these most folks can crawl in it should they have to spend the night out of doors,and its blowing or raining. Can also be used as a rain parka if you don't have rain gear.

The other items in the pix are pretty much self explanitory.

Couple of things not pictured. From time to time gnats and flies can be a problem. I'd bring a can of off or something around 30% deet, 40% is better. A tee-shirt over the head and ears helps but a net or Off works mighty fine.

Sunscreen if you're fair skinned.

and it prolly goes without saying, paper towels work much better than toilet paper or prickly pear in case one gets caught short.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/17/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks.

I've already got an Elusive Wildlife XLR 252 kit that came with a universal clamp like that one. In fact, it looks identical.

God, that K1 is pretty.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

And thanks for that packing list. I do pay attention to that kind of thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the scouting trip Ingwe. Glad to see the Flame can kill hogs when Im not in the blind with you:) . Gdub thanks for the hint on the pack stuff.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm packing like Barney Fife...1 bullet in my pocket

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ready
Looking good Tom. Thanks for the work you undertook - just to scout for us. We really can not be thanking you enough.

This just in from my way to bed, turning down the radiator in my wifes office, me thinks:

"My, that field looks peculiar..."

Camera instead of canon:

WTF. Did you drive the 'cedes into office?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
85lbs and 125lbs.

Never under gunned with the McFlame wink

laugh

So my 358 Winnie ought to work?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am packed and ready to roll 6:30 AM tomorrow to meet a new set of 'fire folks in Arizona. The 416 Rem M70, 375 H&H M70, 222 Rem Krico, 44 Mag Old Model Bisley, tweaked 10-22, old custom fat bodied 40 S&W Para and my #2 handgun purchase way back, a M63 Smith, are good to go. Looking forward to the trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give them my regards, need to get there myself, one of these days

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a safe fun trip Ed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Geedub: thanks for posting that list. This being a "guided" hunt you may not need all that stuff. I took in my 'possibles' bag water ( from the lodge) kill light, regular flashlight, cell phone (to call in if I got overrun), Camera, and thats about it.....coupla extra bullets.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Am I missing it but I don't see a address or directions to the lodge.

I will put up a map in the next couple days. Goo that you mentioned it cause the main road has a bridge washed out on it and you gotta take a detour...I'll put it up soon!

Page 47 of 111 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 110 111

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,381
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.