Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm probably a generation before many of the ones who post here on the Gunwriter section of this forum. The truth is I have great respect for the ways of the older generation and I see a lot of the good slipping away in each new and upcoming generation. For this reason I decided to build a 7X57 and years from now whether hunting is allowed or not I will in honor of all the old-timers shoot some venison every now and then and enjoy the fruitage of my kill over a nice fire. Not only will I make honorary kills but I'll do it with an old cup and core bullets. smile

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/19/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shod -

I respect what you said.

By the same token the 270 Win, born 1925 ain't the youngster amongst cartridges. Being born here in the USA also deserves its rightful homage.

IMHO - there are several cartridges that have earned their place in our minds, hearts, and admiration.

Now back to our regular program.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Jwall,

I appreciate the point you make. I can see a need to aquire a number of older rifles including a 270. My oldest rifle as of now would be an 1980 L61 Sako Finnbear in 270.

I just looked up the year of my Whitworth action and its 1984.

In my opinion I'm going to need something more along the lines of 1960. After around 1970 I feel it all started going to hell in a handbasket. I was only 2 years old in 1970. Though I didn't get to see the good old days I have been fortunate enouph to see the product of the good old days in the Men I grew up around and a few that are still hanging in there

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/19/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Kind of fond of the 7X57 mouser myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

IIRC, it's Shrap that likes the .222 Mag

Poobah is a .223AI man.

DF

Could be, maybe so....

they look alike on the 'fire' whistle
grin grin

Jerry

laugh

Neither one endowed with an over abundance of pretty... blush

Not referring to the rounds... grin

DF

This is mean-spirited...talking behind my back and all.

Then equating me with Shrap and his antiquated, underpowered deuce mag! shocked

Worse yet, implying that we look alike!

Its easy to tell the difference...I am the mature,handsome one. grin

And heres another real 7x57 Mauser to go along with the many already posted...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is that the rifle you used on the infamous zebra?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you really expect us to believe that someone of your "vintage" can see well enough to use irons?

Nice gun. Fine looking goat too! grin

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike

It is.

And for frame of reference those two critters were the last I shot with open sights.

Continued to use aperture sights for a couple more years but eventually had to scope everything.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe is infamous. The zebra is merely notable.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ingwe is infamous. The zebra is merely notable.

Good point.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just curious: Do you remember your age at the time? At 56 I'm afraid my iron sight days are long gone.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, that was on my 1999 Safari with JB and his wife. I was 47.

( FWIW Ive worn coke bottle glasses since I was 2 years old, so you may have more time...)

Last edited by ingwe; 02/19/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

This is mean-spirited...talking behind my back and all.

Then equating me with Shrap and his antiquated, underpowered deuce mag! shocked

Worse yet, implying that we look alike!

Its easy to tell the difference...I am the mature,handsome one. grin

laugh laugh

Salute'

Glad you made it home from the Messican Annex! grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
Jwall,

I appreciate the point you make. I can see a need to aquire a number of older rifles including a 270. My oldest rifle as of now would be an 1980 L61 Sako Finnbear in 270.

I just looked up the year of my Whitworth action and its 1984.

In my opinion I'm going to need something more along the lines of 1960. After around 1970 I feel it all started going to hell in a handbasket. I was only 2 years old in 1970. Though I didn't get to see the good old days I have been fortunate enouph to see the product of the good old days in the Men I grew up around and a few that are still hanging in there

Shod

Lots of nice Mausers from that era on GB between $600 and $1000. I've got all I need (for now,...I think), so have at 'em.

The FN Deluxes can often be found with good receiver sights, if irons are your bag. Most don't have open rear sights.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike

And since this is a thread about the 7x57 I'm damn glad thats what I had in my hands when I shot the zebra.

He was at about 140 yards, a tad more than quartering away, so I thought I'd slip a 175 gr. NPT behind his ribs, rake his vitals and be good.

He WAS indeed more than quartering away, and the shot hit his left hip, broke it, and went ahead to angle forward, rake his vitals and kill him.....roughly five feet of penetration .

The infamous part came when tracking him. My PH, Myself, and Gideon the tracker went after him, no small pool of experience there.....but we ALL missed the zebra taking a corner.
He only went about 200 yards, but it took us a couple hours to find him....and the corner we missed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pretty good penetration from that old cartridge! Do you remember the velocity?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope. Never clocked it out of that gun....it was going so fast I couldn't even see it though! grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unless I start shooting cattle, I expect they'd over-penetrate on pigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah, that was on my 1999 Safari with JB and his wife. I was 47.

( FWIW Ive worn coke bottle glasses since I was 2 years old, so you may have more time...)

Let's see... 1999, 47..,

Good grief, I may actually be older than ingwe! Not good.

Every morning I check the obituaries. If I ever see my name, I'm going to lie down.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
See....I'm not as old as you reprobates make me out to be! Theres lots of guys on the 'fire older than me.

But I do remember churning butter as a child, and waiting for the car radio to "warm up" before you could get any tunes...... whistle

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (300jimmy, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 52 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.