Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
At age 66 I have been diabetic for seven years now, have controlled this with oral meds. Metformin,Januvia and Glimiperide. Lately my a1c has been a little harder to control, the last couple of readings have been 6.5 and 6.8 still below the American Diabetes Assoc. guideline of 7. My doctor keeps wanting to put me on Lantus, I am a little concerned of the side effects. What has been your experience with Lantus or any of the other injectible pen forms of insulin?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been on novo log and lantus for 8 years with no issues.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Been on Novalog and Lantus for several years. The Lantus is a long slow acting insulin that tends to level off the peaks in your blood sugar swings. I only take the Lantus at bedtime and the Novalog at meal times. My Doc. calls it the poor mans insulin pump. It has worked well for me for over 10 yrs.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The first question is, what's causing your diabetes? Are you significantly over weight or is it a bad pancreas? If it's the weight, you can fix it without insulin.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The first question is, what's causing your diabetes? Are you significantly over weight or is it a bad pancreas? If it's the weight, you can fix it without insulin.
If you can control this with diet and exercise, it's a much better regimen than using the insulin. If you must combine diet, exercise, and insulin, you'll be much better off than just trying to do it with inuslin only. Insulin can cause weight gain, and the only way to offset that is through diet and exercise.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Can we please stick with the question I posed regarding experience with Lantus? I have lost 50# and walk 1-3 miles every day, weight and exercise are not the issue here. Keeping my a1c below 7.0 when the meds I have listed seem to be letting it slowly creep upwards. My last three readings have been 6.5,6.8 and today at my doctor visit 7.0. So you see diet, exercise and meds are controlling my diabetes, the doctor is just suggesting Lantus as a means of better control. Please continue to share your experience with Lantus, I find the information useful and interesting.
Thanks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd also like that information. I had to stop taking Metformin because of really bad digestive problems, and stopped Januvia because of the cost. Only taking Glimipride now, and it isn't getting the job done. I have also lost va lot of weight, and get exercise. Hate needles, but I'm afraid I may have to go that way.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Diet. Repeat that 100x.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
stopped Januvia because of the cost.

Fyi most drug companies have copayment assistance programs. Go to the product website and you'll see something about making the med more affordable.

These offers don't apply to Medicare or Medicaid as they are government programs.

Work with your doc for samples. Does he/she know you stopped taking those meds? The doc can't help if you don't ask.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Been on novo log and lantus for 8 years with no issues.

Wifey same. Novo log and lantus for about 8 years now. No problems with them either. She has other issues but at least the Diabitus is under control.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm diabetic due to exposure to Agent Orange. I've lost over 85# in last 5 years and stay on diabetic diet and exercise regularly by walking up to 25 miles a week. Lantus and NovoLog have kept A1C under 7.0.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
In addition to diabetic education my doctor also sent me to see a diabetic dietician to advise me about controling my diabetis via diet choices. To help with weight loss I also saw a regular dietician, the things I learned from her were instrumental in being able to lose 50# and maintain that weight loss for a couple of years now. I am plateaued at the same weight for the last six months now but remain confident that I will be able to lose the last ten pound to achieve my goal.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
guns,

good on you. Reason I asked about the weight is I have a lot of fat-azzed patients who weigh 350 to 400 pounds and would rather take a shot than help their overall health.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a good friend on Lantus for some years, first he lost his right leg and then later he lost his left leg. He contacted a Lawyer about suing the Doctor and the Lawyer told him to forget it because he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife was on it for several years with no side effects from it.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GeeDub,

After a sudden, terrific bout of Pancreatitis a year ago, I was left with high blood sugar for a while while my angry pancrease healed.

It was Lantus plus Novolog for a couple months. It reached the point last fall where it was just 26 units of Lantus once per day.

No side effects or reactions with either. At all. I now use the Lantus pens with a new pentip every morning. I always considered myself a needle phobic, but I got over it right away. The needles are small and most of the time I don't feel them. However....sometimes its a sharp, painful jab into my stomach.....which is my one and only injection site. Sometimes a little blood. Bruises are common. I was told to keep the injection site (belly vs thigh vs upper arm) the same from day to day.

Got some more weight to lose and some tougher diet restrictions (keep away from carbs and sweets) and I expect to not have to take anything anymore.

If I do, I have a new doctor here who agrees with me that a pill will handle my situation.

My last A1C in November was 5.4. I now wonder if I need anything at all, but the docs are too chicken to tell me to try life w/o Lantus. I....on the other hand.......will try it soon.....

Last edited by Hombre; 02/21/16.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,726
Posts18,475,896
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.