Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Vocals.... cool

Here it is, the official Campfire sing-along track.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
One of my all time favorite groups, one of my all time favorite songs!!

What a great way to start my week, hearing a vocals only version that I've never hear before.

Their music has been on my mind, as it was 10 years ago yesterday when my father passed away and my life as a orphan began. I had done a photo compilation of his life and used a CD entitled " Pickin' On Lynyrd Skynyrd - A Tribute " for the accompanying music.

In case you're not familiar with that CD here is the description on the back cover;

" Pickin' On Lynyrd Skynyrd starts where the original band members left off with the hottest bluegrass and country musicians on 5-string banjo, fiddle, dobro, steel guitar and mandolin playing sizzling versions of their best loved hits in an all instrumental homage......."

Thanks, Birdman, for posting that up........thought I had heard about every variation and version of their work, but I had never heard that lyrics only version of 'simple man' .......loved the picture compilation as it also remained me of the presentation I had put together for my dad!!

Here's to my dad, a simple man, and my grandfather that I never got to meet;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dad's dad;

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pardon the hijack, but XPLRN, what part of the country are those photos from? Wonderful pictures.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Shinedown does a better job...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Thems fightin' words my friend!! smile

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This song actually changed lifestyles for a lot of people when it came out and for years after.

A guy came pulling into my place one time with a Wagon drawn by a couple Horses and a couple Mules with a couple Goats tied to the back and asked if he could stay long enough to rest his Stock.

Now I don't know anyone who would not allow this just for curiosity reasons alone so of course I was glad to help him out. So he stayed for a couple days resting, watering and grazing his Stock on our place before moving on.

Turns out he Was a "City Guy" who was tired of the Rat Race and decided to buy his current "outfit" and head to New Mexico and live a Self Sustainable lifestyle. After getting to know him and talking for awhile I asked him what made him decide to do this extreme change of lifestyle?

He asked me..."Have you heard that Song Simple Man?". smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Pardon the hijack, but XPLRN, what part of the country are those photos from? Wonderful pictures.

Birdman is cool, he let me shoot his sweet black powder muzzleloader years ago @ Qumato, shouldn't be a problem with a little hijack'n.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures!! My grandfather went up to northern Wisconsin back in the late 1800's/ turn of the century as he had heard there was a lot of great deer hunting up there. He knocked around for a while, enjoying the hunting, trapping and lumberjacking lifestyle.......he enjoyed it enough to homestead some property and start a family. We are very fortunate that one of the neighbors of my grand dad was into photography and liked to take pictures. He enjoyed taking pictures of my grand dad and my dad as they went about their farming and timber endeavors.

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
This song actually changed lifestyles for a lot of people when it came out and for years after.

A guy came pulling into my place one time with a Wagon drawn by a couple Horses and a couple Mules with a couple Goats tied to the back and asked if he could stay long enough to rest his Stock.

Now I don't know anyone who would not allow this just for curiosity reasons alone so of course I was glad to help him out. So he stayed for a couple days resting, watering and grazing his Stock on our place before moving on.

Turns out he Was a "City Guy" who was tired of the Rat Race and decided to buy his current "outfit" and head to New Mexico and live a Self Sustainable lifestyle. After getting to know him and talking for awhile I askeyd him what made him decide to do this extreme change of lifestyle?

That's a great story, thanks for sharing, how long ago did that encounter take place?? Makes one wonder how his 'simple man' quest played out!??

Last edited by XPLRN; 02/24/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by XPLRN
Originally Posted by sandcritter

Birdman is cool, he let me shoot his sweet black powder muzzleloader years ago @ Qumato, shouldn't be a problem with a little hijack'n.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures!! My grandfather went up to northern Wisconsin back in the late 1800's/ turn of the century as he had heard there was a lot of great deer hunting up there. He knocked around for a while, enjoying the hunting, trapping and lumberjacking lifestyle.......he enjoyed it enough to homestead some property and start a family. We are very fortunate that one of the neighbors of my grand dad was into photography and liked to take pictures. He enjoyed taking pictures of my grand dad and my dad as they went about their farming and timber endeavors.

Turns out he Was a "City Guy" who was tired of the Rat Race and decided to buy his current "outfit" and head to New Mexico and live a Self Sustainable lifestyle. After getting to know him and talking for awhile I askeyd him what made him decide to do this extreme change of lifestyle?

That's a great story, thanks for sharing, how long ago did that encounter take place?? Makes one wonder how his 'simple man' quest played out!??

This was roughly 20 years ago. We did get a letter from him indicating he made it to New Mexico and had bought his new property. But never heard from him again after that. This was our fault for not keeping in touch as we should have.

But you know what? Now you have me curious and I'm going to see if I can get any keywords to lead me to his possible location and current situation. There just might be some local news archives down there about him and his unique adventure. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Ronnie Van Zant wrote and sang that song. Suggesting someone else did it better is laughable! That's like saying someone else painted a better Mona Lisa than da Vinci, or wrote a better Gettysburg Address than Lincoln. That song was his and anything else is a poor replica.

Last edited by Bobmar; 02/24/16.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Ronnie Van Zant wrote and sang that song. Suggesting someone else did it better is laughable! That's like saying someone else painted a better Mona Lisa than da Vinci, or wrote a better Gettysburg Address than Lincoln. That song was his and anything else is poor replica.

As a Musician I would tend to agree with you and here is why...You will never get back that "exact" moment in time. The Musicians, The Instruments, The Parties the Night before, The Recording Equipment and Etc. Now It would be next to impossible to reproduce it with the exact same sound.

Which was for it's time actually quite unique and this alone should be respected and appreciated for what it was. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/24/16.

IC B3

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Ronnie Van Zant wrote and sang that song. Suggesting someone else did it better is laughable! That's like saying someone else painted a better Mona Lisa than da Vinci, or wrote a better Gettysburg Address than Lincoln. That song was his and anything else is poor replica.

Precisely, so well stated!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wasn't meant to put down the original and I listen to both often but have you guys listened to the shinedown version?

Just my opinion and no doubt the original is great.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 02/24/16.
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Well stated Bugout and it lives forever as a classic.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X

[quote=Bugout4x4]

This was roughly 20 years ago. We did get a letter from him indicating he made it to New Mexico and had bought his new property. But never heard from him again after that. This was our fault for not keeping in touch as we should have.

But you know what? Now you have me curious and I'm going to see if I can get any keywords to lead me to his possible location and current situation. There just might be some local news archives down there about him and his unique adventure. smile

That would certainly be fun to follow up on since you had that great encounter 20 years ago!! If you even have his name and where he bought property that would be a good start.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wasn't meant to put down the original and I listen to both often but have you guys listened to the shinedown version?

No disrespect intended here just differing perspectives. smile Yes I have heard it but something to consider with these songs when they are copied from the original artists is the Cultural influences that went along with the original. The copies just will never have that aspect of the original.

For example let's say that Motley Crue did "Helter Skelter" better than the Beatles did it. For me this would be Dismissing the whole Cultural History that came about because of the original. The Original has so much "color" surrounding it that nothing could ever get close to replacing it.

Every time I hear the Original Visions of Charley and his Crew listening to the same Song at the Same time go through my head because this indeed may have actually happened at the time. You just can't reproduce that exact feeling with a copy. smile

I guess what I am trying to display is that a copy just doesn't have the History surrounding it like the original and for me these go hand in hand as a listener.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/24/16.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X

Just checked out the video and realized I had seen it before sometime back. Sure did like the mid sixties Ford 4x4 pickup truck in the video! The guy's got great pipes no doubt about it however it's just too much guttural scream quality to his voice vs. the smooth, soulful and pure feeling Ronnie delivered it with in the original LS......YMMV.

Imitation(covering a original) *is* the most sincere form of flattery!!

PS. Some trivia about the song origin found on the net; Shortly after Ronnie Van Zant's grandmother and Gary Rossington's mother died they got together in Van Zant's apartment and started telling stories about them. Rossington came up with the chord progression and Van Zandt wrote the lyrics based on advice the women had given them over the years they wrote it in about an hour.

Last edited by XPLRN; 02/24/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I get it but simple man lyrics are so great I'm not sure culturally they can ever fade.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I like the original version. The Shinedown guy tries too hard, trying to show of his voice. Sometimes less is more. Reminds me of black women singers taking one note and warbling all over the damn register with it like it's supposed to impress somebody.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, I like that version too.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I knew most of the Van Zant family, including the miscreants that became famous, back in the day, in Westside Jax.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,218
Posts18,504,079
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.