Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just read that South Africa has put a ban on leopard hunting for the remainder of 2016, to be reviewed at the end of the year. They apparently want to try to get a handle on how many leopards there are in the country, under pressure from conservation groups.

First the US Fish and Wildlife import permit debacle with lions, and now this- it could be just a matter of time before leopards will also be nearly impossible to hunt and/or import into the US.

The adage, 'Hunt Africa now, while you can', is becoming more true every day.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably because they are an endangered species same as elephants and Rhino, tigers, grizz, just all killed none left. Stick with elk and moose, deer, better that way.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Probably because they are an endangered species same as elephants and Rhino, tigers, grizz, just all killed none left. Stick with elk and moose, deer, better that way.

Sir, with all due respect, Elephant are closer to vermin than what it is to endangered. There are way too many. Sure, some pockets are under pressure but in the greater scheme of things, and the population as a whole, we need to cull thousands if not 100 of thousands of animals. They talk about a need to cull 45K elephant in Hwange alone.
The Leopard ban is simply from incompetence of not having the necessary knowledge.
There are plenty of Leopard.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir no disrespect but you are in conflict of interest by your bias comments. Most everyone know that all species are threatened in
africa. Cape Buffalo are doing well but the big cats are taking a real beating. You know that so stop BS people so they can book a Safari with you. i live in Africa so i know what is going on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lion numbers in South Africa are on the increase year on year, although being from the captive bred side. It's still numbers, no matter where they are.

Here is an extract from Ron Thomson's article on Botswana's elephant population. Ron use to work for the Zimbabwe parks board in Hwange, I believe, for many years. His article reads:
"Well they are based upon the government’s own statistics. The official elephant count in 2000 was 120 604. The figures indicating the progressive increase in elephants during the 1990s could not have been attained unless the population was increasing at a rate of 8 percent per annum. Most scientists will tell you that that figure is improbable. But it is the only one that accounts for a doubling of elephant numbers in the nine years 1990 –1999. In scientific circles the figure 7 percent is accepted as being the probable “maximum” elephant population incremental rate. Botswana claims and incremental rate of 5 percent – but THAT is impossible given the rate of increase of Botswana elephant herds. So let us accept 7 percent as Botswana’s REAL elephant population increment figure. Using this figure, in the three years since 2000, Botswana’s elephants MUST now be sitting at 147 745. And THAT means Botswana will have to cull 140 000 elephants (plus the annual increments over the period of time the culling teams will take to reduce this population) IF the country has any hope at all of getting its now devastated biomes to return to a healthy state. In other words, I am here suggesting that circa. 7 500 elephants is what Botswana needs to maintain its elephant herds at."

The same article also read that that aerial count for Hwange was 50,000 Elephant in 2013. Hwange on the land size, can only sustain 2500, I believe the number was stated. Therefor, Ron believed that a cull of 47,500 Elephant was needed in the Hwange, just to try and save the vegetation that was left. Vegetation that we, in our lifetime, would probably never see restore.

Good luck to you sir. Wondering why a guy who lives in Africa would have a screen name such as Canuck?

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 02/26/16.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sir no disrespect but you are in conflict of interest by your bias comments. Most everyone know that all species are threatened in
africa. Cape Buffalo are doing well but the big cats are taking a real beating. You know that so stop BS people so they can book a Safari with you. i live in Africa so i know what is going on.

I live in North America but that doesn't make me an expert in native animal population and conservation.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not? Educate yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WWF list leopards as endangered species, do you research.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Elephant are closer to vermin than what it is to endangered. There are way too many.

Elephants are not vermin, people like you are.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Sir,

That the snow leopard that WWF says is endangered. Not all leopards.

IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Who is this F'ing PETA loving Canuck??? Where did this guy come from?? Canada, it would seem, but the Canadians I know are better heeled than this guy?? The only people in the world who say that the African Elephant is anywhere near extinction is the PETA ilk. Your bleeding heart, don't hurt Bambi crowd. He mentions grizzlies, yet appears to have a brown bear in his pick. Hypocrital much??? SMFH.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I smell a troll

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

101% FACTUALLY WRONG.
Neither elephants NOR leopards are close to being endangered. Lions are on the other hand "threatened" but it depends on the country/area. Leopard quotas go unfilled in just about every country where they are hunted in Africa.
Elephant, just in Zim:
[img]https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...bc5622fd3cfc85c80c88f84d&oe=5724F65D[/img]

Lion overpupulated in Zim

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Who is this F'ing PETA loving Canuck??? Where did this guy come from?? Canada, it would seem, but the Canadians I know are better heeled than this guy?? The only people in the world who say that the African Elephant is anywhere near extinction is the PETA ilk. Your bleeding heart, don't hurt Bambi crowd. He mentions grizzlies, yet appears to have a brown bear in his pick. Hypocrital much??? SMFH.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear
I shot that bear 18 years ago in Russia. Not endangered at that time, maybe now. Leopards and elephants are on endangered list. Do some research retards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nope, leopards are listed under Appendix I in certain areas of the world & countries but in many there are LOTS of quotas:
Leopard quotas/country

Please avail yourself of facts before delving.....

State Quota
Botswana

Central African Republic

Ethiopia

Kenya

Malawi

Mozambique

Namibia

South Africa

Uganda

United Republic of Tanzania

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/26/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
So now you're a PETA member instead of the NRA or SCI?? 18 years you may have conributed to their demise. What a bastard you are for that one. LOL. Got a big pic of a fat brownie he says are nearly extinct and telling people who know better that elephants are endangered. Troll is a nice word. I have others. Vermin was used above, that works.

Have a nice day bunny hugger. But please, go eat your Tofu elsewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WWF lists the Amur Leopard, native to Russia and far east and the Snow Leopard, native to same as endangered.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory?direction=desc&sort=extinction_status

Neither are native to Africa. Do your research.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sad that men have to kill creatures that they don't eat, only for their skin and head. I was like you also when younger but grew up and learned about respect to Gods creatures.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can't eat leopard? And you believe WWF.... bingo... just hit the button....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sad that men have to kill creatures that they don't eat, only for their skin and head. I was like you also when younger but grew up and learned about respect to Gods creatures.

I'm sorry, but once again you're missing the boat. it is a proven fact that were it not for hunting (that gives animals VALUE, I figured the link to the possible lion cull would have clued you in, but obviously I overestimated), most of these animals would be long gone. Not to mention the graph depicted on Kenya v Zim where hunting saved the elephant. What is sad are goofs like you who take a ready fire aim approach to these important topics and animals suffer... Get a CLUE, Ace...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 54 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.