Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I walked in the house this afternoon and the smell of pork cooking in the crock pots is everywhere. We're in the 40 days of Lent right now, but Sundays are always feast days, so it ain't all that bad.

Mrs. Rev marinated the backstraps from a little sow I shot last week, as well as one of the hams from a young boar I shot a couple of weeks before that, in mojo sauce (overnight), then put them in the crock pots with fresh mojo sauce, fresh sliced onions, and a little bit of black pepper. They'll cook until they completely fall apart, then she'll shred them a little more and we'll let them soak in their own juice overnight. Tomorrow we'll reheat and dip it all over yellow rice. As I said, it ain't all that bad!

Why do I bring this up? Because both pigs were taken with Ingwe's old "Heavy Rifle" - the Ingwe Special.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Mine are marked 7mm-08

Which, of course, was the 7x51, or as we called it the "7mm super" for many years before Remington hijacked it. Great cartridge though, by any name! smile

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Courtesy heads up. I just listed a nice older 7x57 Mark X in the classifieds.

Last edited by T Bone; 02/23/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 7x57 has been my cartridge of the year at least since 1981 or 1982.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This old cartridge needs its own forum. Just about every thread runs 15 or more pages.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rev, As you are our leader for this day I've got a question . My dad's old (1951) Rem. 721 .270 W. has a .2785 groove. I have a .280 Pacific brand push through die that sizes .284 120gr Horn. HP's to .2795. Does this count? BTW when I was on Maui for the last 2 weeks my SIL (US Postal Service) gave my 2 new Bombay Bowlers, 1 plastic, 1 fiber official ones but bright white! I loaded some ammo with those bullets and a min. load of 4895 and will shoot in the AM. The only bullets that shoot fairly well in that gun are hot loaded 150 NPT with I-4064 so far. "May the Lord keep ......"-Thanks-Muddy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RevMike
This old cartridge needs its own forum. Just about every thread runs 15 or more pages.

You won't get an argument from me. Let's get-R-done.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Rev, As you are our leader for this day I've got a question . My dad's old (1951) Rem. 721 .270 W. has a .2785 groove. I have a .280 Pacific brand push through die that sizes .284 120gr Horn. HP's to .2795. Does this count? BTW when I was on Maui for the last 2 weeks my SIL (US Postal Service) gave my 2 new Bombay Bowlers, 1 plastic, 1 fiber official ones but bright white! I loaded some ammo with those bullets and a min. load of 4895 and will shoot in the AM. The only bullets that shoot fairly well in that gun are hot loaded 150 NPT with I-4064 so far. "May the Lord keep ......"-Thanks-Muddy

Muddy, I think it'll count...as a good ol' .270! grin

How was the shooting today?

I have some boxes of those 120 grain blue NBTs coming. I'm going to load a few up and see if they're too tough for pigs. I'm seeing pics of dead elk they've taken, so they just might be.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh oh, the mouser thread is dead?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Blasphemy!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Campfire Cartridge of 2016?

The 6.8 x 57, obviously

[Linked Image]

grin

in fairness, this one is the last 7x57 I owned. It was intriguing enough, that I almost kept it despite the bolt handle being on the wrong side smile

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
C'mon boys, lets kick it up a notch, the thread is waning.

Ok I'll ask this. Would JOC have been a bigger proponent of the 7 Mouser if the .270 Win wouldn't have come along? Did JOC endear himself to the .270Win. on his own or was he prompted by the "industry" or maybe even his editor?

Ok, let's mull this around for a couple more pages.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK, I'll help revive the thread by telling you all I saw the ultimate, consummate 7x57 Mauser. It was absolutely perfect in form and function, and kept in a safe at an undisclosed location by our own EdM here on the 'fire....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got one picked out too. Just need to make the phone call. I see sleepless nights in the near term.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Ingwe, ask him to post a pic. I have seen a couple in his threads.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always like pics of 7x57s. Still kicking myself for not buying an Oberndorf Model M in 7x57 about 15 years ago. Seller and I just could not agree on price.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Ok I'll ask this. Would JOC have been a bigger proponent of the 7 Mouser if the .270 Win wouldn't have come along? Did JOC endear himself to the .270Win. on his own or was he prompted by the "industry" or maybe even his editor?

Whoop, I certainly can't know JOC's mind but I have a feeling that it was a combination of BOTH.

He spoke his mind whether anyone agreed with him or not. He saw the 270 perform over yrs + on multitudes of game. At the same time he GOT PAID for writing, so...

We also know that Jack liked 'other' cartridges as well because he wrote praise of them. My ? is, how many Win 70, 270s did he sell? No one knows but obviously he was involved.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Whoop, I certainly can't know JOC's mind but I have a feeling that it was a combination of BOTH.

He spoke his mind whether anyone agreed with him or not. He saw the 270 perform over yrs + on multitudes of game. At the same time he GOT PAID for writing, so...

We also know that Jack liked 'other' cartridges as well because he wrote praise of them. My ? is, how many Win 70, 270s did he sell? No one knows but obviously he was involved.

Jerry

Yes I suppose when JOC started to get name recognition - the 60's, the .270 Win was around for some 35 years - although WWII would have slowed down interest and sales. So maybe all JOC did was to help with the interest in the .270 WCF.
I wonder if the .308 put a damper on things in 1952 when it came out. Some of this is just idle conjecture along with a full pot of coffee.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
whoop -

I graduated H S in 1967. Around here in the 60s I only knew of people mainly using 3 guns for deer hunting.

12 ga, 30-30s, & 06s. A lot has changed for a number of reasons AS I'm sure you know.

My opinion - only- I think the 308 didn't start showing its influence till later 60s into the 70s. I reserve the right to be wrong. The 06 had such an entrenched head start, I think it took a while.

Also in the 60s we had other NEW rounds introduced. 7mm RM - '62, 264 WM '59, etc. so the 308 had new competition as well.

From my memory (cobwebbed-rusty) I remember the 264, 7 RM, and even 300 WM receiving a lot of attention. I don't remember the 308 getting as much. (just because I don't remember doesn't mean anything)

It seems to me that the 308 has become MORE popular in the last 20 yrs than it was in the 60s. could be wrong??

This is just my impression, I wasn't aware of the 7mm Mauser's popularity till I joined the 'fire in 2010.

As you say, idle gun gack. Interesting to some, not to others.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M-14 rifle went into service with the military in the late 1950's. That gave the 308 Winchester a big jump start toward wide acceptance.

Everybody became aware of the cartridge quickly and almost all the rifle manufacturers started chambering rifles in 308 right away.

Some models were almost created for the cartridge, such as the Remington M-600.

And Savage sold a lot of M-99's in 308 Winchester.

With the stamp of approval of the US Marines, as well as the other branches, I would say that the 308 Win. was born popular, and its popularity has stayed pretty steady to this day.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,148
Posts18,523,350
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.