Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am a long time Sako fan and have not purchased a "new" Sako center fire rifle since 1987 when I purchased my Sako AII Hunter in 308 WCF.
I have purchased older generations of Sako rifles (L46, L461, L579, L61R, AI, AII, AV's)as these always demonstrated great quality of fit, finish and were accurate.
Over the years I have handled and shot the newer stuff but it never really tripped my trigger up until recently; one of my long time hunting partners purchased a M85 "Bavarian" in 6.5x55 last summer and I must confess it's growing on me. It does certainly shoot well, the action cycles smoothly and it has a beautiful stock.
He tells me that I've become a curmudgeon and should get with times.
I have been looking at the EuroOptic website recently and it is full of temptations.

So what is the consensus on the newer Sako rifles? Worth it or not? Preferences?

I've been holding out for an AV in 6.5x55 or 7x64 for years, I may have to succumb to the "dark side" and buy one of the M85's.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just a thought... If you really like the AV's, you could always pick up an AV with the proper bolt face and send it off to have it rebarreled/chambered for 6.5x55. Have the new barrel contour duplicated off the factory barrel. You would have exactly what you want for comparable money (maybe a little less) as a new Sako from Europtic.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
I am a long time Sako fan
StarchedCover

I feel ya'

[Linked Image]

I've done most all the Sako iterations over the years, including 75's and 85's.

One can pick up a used pre-75 for about 1/2 of what you will pay for new, even from Euro Optics, unless you opt for a Deluxe.
The new Deluxe's are ought of sight.

The Bavarians also feature a single set trigger, which I really like.

First range trip.

[Linked Image]

checking for zero, cold barrel.

[Linked Image]

Shoots like a Sako!

Go for it!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
StarchedCover. I sent you a pm. I have a Sako Hunter 6.5x55 I might part with.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
7x57Hunter,
PM responded to.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You had me right up to the point you said "until recently". I do have a 75 deluxe, but that is the only late Sako I have and it is an early late Sako so I can justify that. It is the only one I have ever seen with the drop floor plate instead of a detachable magazine.

Other than that I stick with the earlier Sakos. The later guns don't have the fit and finish of the of the Garcia and earlier Sakos. Stoeger imports to about the mid 1980's aren't bad, but they still aren't the same as anything pre-72. The bolt on the Garcia era guns is a much better looking bolt than the later bolt that has the cover over the rear end of the bolt.

Advance a few years and the bolts have become hideous, the checkering devoid of any connection to the traditional hand checkering and even the double border on the guns made in the 1960's.

Other than the spelling of Sako, there isn't much left of the quality that existed in the first models...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What Shrapnel said (except I don't know John Burns).

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have 75s and 85s and the quality looks to be A-1 to me. I like the removable magazine, and even the Finnlights shoot well under an inch at 100. I never had issues, just adjust the trigger to 2 pounds, and shoot. I usually shop at Cove Creek and they cash discount about 10% off MSRP.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

You had me right up to the point you said "until recently". I do have a 75 deluxe, but that is the only late Sako I have and it is an early late Sako so I can justify that. It is the only one I have ever seen with the drop floor plate instead of a detachable magazine.

Other than that I stick with the earlier Sakos. The later guns don't have the fit and finish of the of the Garcia and earlier Sakos. Stoeger imports to about the mid 1980's aren't bad, but they still aren't the same as anything pre-72. The bolt on the Garcia era guns is a much better looking bolt than the later bolt that has the cover over the rear end of the bolt.

Advance a few years and the bolts have become hideous, the checkering devoid of any connection to the traditional hand checkering and even the double border on the guns made in the 1960's.

Other than the spelling of Sako, there isn't much left of the quality that existed in the first models...

I don't know how you could say it any better. Go old.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have both new and old. Prefer the 3 lug new guns. 85 classic is maybe my favorite gun in the safe.

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've owned many Sako's manufactured at different points across the last 50 years (except 75's). Among the Deluxe line, I really haven't observed much difference in build quality at all. Figure in the wood is better than ever in the 85's I've handled, but the stocks aren't as trim as they were in the original L61R/L579 series. The later A-series stocks are bulky but may be desirable in hard kicking calibers. L579/L61R/A-Series rifles have high polish bluing which some prefer to the 85's more matte finish. Beyond the Deluxe models, it is fair to say the Sporter models are not as finely finished as the originals but the solid mechanicals remain. Newer models get a bolt shroud which some prefer. All are good gear, just a matter of balancing the trade offs to your preferences.

Since the 85 Bavarian is unique and chambered in the gentlemanly 6.5x55, why not!? I hunt every year with an early AII Mannlicher that I will never sell despite it's blasphemous plastic magazine follower. Procure the Bavarian, hunt, and be merry. Life is short.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I've got a 75 hunter with a floor plate. I think it's a 75 because it has the 3 lug bolt. It's a 7mm-08 and you are right about them being rare. I've never seen another one either. I just bought this one a couple months ago for just that reason. It's a Stoeger import.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My 75 isn't marked 75 on it anywhere. It is a 3 lug 60 degree bolt with a floor plate. I still have the box which is serial numbered to the gun and the picture on the box is of a rifle with a detachable magazine.

Make no mistake about it, the workmanship on the later guns isn't as good as it was in the 50's and 60's...

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
.300 Wea.?

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a Sako 85 Hunter Stainless in .375 and it shoots lights out and is very nice.

Going to buy another one in .300 WSM in the next couple months.

Maybe not as good as before, but I think they are still pretty damn nice rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.300 Wea.?

Yup, an elk killing machine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 03/22/16.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 6 of the older models in my collection right now, owned and sold a M85 Grey wolf .308 and currently own a M85 Bavarian 7x64. The old and new are quite different rifles, but I do like the Bavarian a lot too. About the only thing they have in common is the grooved receiver bridge. Everything else is different. Not necessarily bad, or good, but not comparable. Choose to buy a new Mod 85 on its merits (or demerits!) , not because you liked old Sakos.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Older the better for me....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Three AV's (.270, .280 & .3-06) and a M591 (7mm08) here. Very happy with all of them. I believe they all carry the Stoeger import marking under the barrel.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had old and a recent 85, I like the 85 the best so far........

Gerry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,545
Posts18,472,934
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.