Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Hey Azzhole,

WTF is wrong with my statement?

Technically, nothing. It's just supercilious.

When people like Pat, MD, and Jordan endorse a product that you've never used ("how does this gizmo work?") and then you say "it's perfect for the guy who just wants to shoot elk and deer at 200 yards," it just shows that your opinion of yourself is exceeded only by your ignorance of the product.

After watching the educational video on the product's website for sales and comparing it to the correct way to mount a scope with some experience, the choice is simple.

I couldn't care less who endorses the product and their reasons for doing so. With the obvious differences in precision, an endorsement of the product in question as "best" would indicate ignorance on the proper way to do the job.

This includes the Pope as well at Pat, MD, and Jordan

laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Hey Azzhole,

WTF is wrong with my statement? For 200 yards at targets that big, the Reticle Tru will get the scope mounted well enough to kill them even if the level of precision is less than optimal.

Other than that, GFY you cantankerous SOB!

smile

FWIW, I've seen shrapmetal hit tinier stuff around the 350-375 mark with suck BC bullets from factory tubes, leveled by an apparently bad apparatus.

I can't imagine what he'd be like if he used his powers for evil.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Could you possibly be any more supercilious?

No. I strive for perfection in everything I do and this is as supercilious as I can possibly be.

Thanks for the honest answer. grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
For the dude who's shooting deer and elk at 200 yards, it's a choice. The Reticle Tru will probably be perfect for him.

Could you possibly be any more supercilious? There are several shooters who've commented on their use of the Reticle Tru who do much more than shoot deer and elk at 200 yards.

Hey Azzhole,

WTF is wrong with my statement? For 200 yards at targets that big, the Reticle Tru will get the scope mounted well enough to kill them even if the level of precision is less than optimal.

smile
Shyt, anybody who needs a scope to shoot deer at 200 yards is either half blind or a pitifully poor rifleman. That's well within iron sight range for someone who can shoot.

As an ole fart, I resemble that remark... blush

My rifle skills exceed my eyesight... cool

So, I have need of a scope, am years beyond irons with any precision.

With a good scope, I'm still dangerous... wink

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes but apparently only out to 200 yards.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is super silly ass the ultimate form of silly ass? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yes but apparently only out to 200 yards.

laugh laugh

I may be an ole fart with imperfect eyesight, shooting a non A/O scope, but you wouldn't want me shooting at ya at long range, stretching WAY beyond 200... blush

That could prove detrimental to one's health and well being... cry

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is a Precision Scope Mount. If you want your equipment to be set up as well as humanly possible, it's necessary. You'll need to go to Score High Gunsmithing to get it done as well.

For shooters who are shooting 1 to 2 MOA targets and at Long Range, it's a requirement.

For the dude who's shooting deer and elk at 200 yards, it's a choice. The Reticle Tru will probably be perfect for him.

1. Insure that the scope and action (center of the bore) are in the same vertical plane

This is critical and must be done with an apparatus that can rigidly hold the action. It also must be done with "U"-shaped, accurately-machined metal fixtures that fit over the scope and action simultaneously. The fixtures must fit tightly over the scope tube and action. If any slop exists, thin feeler gauge strips must be added around the action to eliminate the slop.

A "not cheap" level must be used on top of the fixture to level it exactly.

2. Sight through the scope with the rings loose enough to allow adjustments at a perfectly laser-leveled plumb line and turn the scope in the rings to align the vertical crosshair to the plumb line.

3. Tighten the rings. This is tricky because tightening each screw will minutely move the scope and position of the vertical stadia. It may actually take a couple of trys slightly tightening in round robin fashion.

4. Once the scope is tight in the rings and the vertical stadia is perfectly aligned with the plumb line that is perfectly vertical to the center of the Earth, run the elevation knob to each limit while viewing its tracking on the plumb line. It shouldn't leave the line. The scope mounted in such a way that the vertical centerline of the bore and the vertical centerline of the scope has no more variation than one thousandth (.001) of an inch in six inches.

It's common for some scopes to leave the line toward the end of travel. Where they do is considered the top end of "Reliable Travel" and should be noted. Just because the scope is able to dial more before it stops doesn't mean that travel is reliable.

At this point, install a bubble level on the scope while it is in the fixture and perfectly level. Pay attention to it when you're shooting!

[Linked Image]

From Score High:

I have always taken great care mounting scopes. The techniques I had been using were perfectly correct in theory. I simply wasn’t getting the degree of accuracy required. Originally both rifles went through the same process. I got lucky on one, not so lucky on the other. The difference between right and wrong was unperceivable using our old system in the shop environment. I could not get satisfactory results until I built a very elaborate fixture that could rigidly hold a barreled action with the scope mounted in such a way that the vertical centerline of the bore and the vertical centerline of the scope had no more variation than one thousandth (.001) of an inch in six inches.

Some rifles are just good shooters and they make it easy for a good shooter to shine. The performance of some rifles defies logic, and makes it impossible for the shooter to excel. The shooter questions their ability to dope wind. They get frustrated and filled with self doubt when in reality they might just need to have their scope properly mounted.

Good lord RC. What did the world do before that jig?

gravity,a plumb bob and a tiny bit of know how applied while SHOOTING is the end all, no matter how precise your jig.

Charley does build a hell of a rifle, but believe it or not a scope can be accurately mounted without that jig.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Could you possibly be any more supercilious? There are several shooters who've commented on their use of the Reticle Tru who do much more than shoot deer and elk at 200 yards.

Hey Azzhole,

WTF is wrong with my statement? For 200 yards at targets that big, the Reticle Tru will get the scope mounted well enough to kill them even if the level of precision is less than optimal. I can still manage to hold .5 MOA out to 200 {the longest range I have to shoot} with my poorly mounted scopes however.

smile
Shyt, anybody who needs a scope to shoot deer at 200 yards is either half blind or a pitifully poor rifleman. That's well within iron sight range for someone who can shoot.

As an ole fart, I resemble that remark... blush

My rifle skills exceed my eyesight... cool

So, I have need of a scope, am years beyond irons with any precision.

With a good scope, I'm still dangerous... wink

DF
Nothing wrong with that and I'm getting there myself. I've killed deer in excess of 300 yards with irons when I was younger but 200 is probably about as far as I'd try it now. Back then I could hold 1-1.5" groups at 100 and 4" at 200 with an aperture rear and 1/16" ivory bead front. Now 2" at 100 seems to be about the best I can muster. I can however, still manage to hold into .5 MOA out to 200 {the longest range I have to shoot} with my poorly mounted scopes.

Last edited by Blackheart; 03/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would just like to report to y'all that I just got off the phone with Shrapnel. He has assured me that his picture of the bore sighter accurately depicts what he claimed.

This intrigues me. I intend to test and find out one way or the other.

By the way, Mister Shrapnel is a very nice guy. I would like to thank him for his time in explaining things to me.

More later.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Looks like an expensive pile of metal that a $.99 deck of cards could have gave the same outcome in that scenario...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I may be an ole fart with imperfect eyesight, shooting a non A/O scope, but you wouldn't want me shooting at ya at long range, stretching WAY beyond 200... blush

DF

That may be, but shooting at me could also prove detrimental, I'm a cantankerous SOB whistle and that'd just piss me off.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Did this for years!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
[Linked Image]

Looks like an expensive pile of metal that a $.99 deck of cards could have gave the same outcome in that scenario...

Same jig he used to come to the conclusion that leupold tracts perfectly. You ca t make this [bleep] up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The shaman tripped a little coming down the last flight of stairs to his secret underground reloading room, gunsmithing center and ballistics test facility. Ed, the guard, had been enjoying morning cup of coffee, but nearly poured it on his uniform; he was that startled.

"Careful with the stairs, Mister Shaman." said Ed. There's still that wet spot.

"I think the cistern that holds water for the flume trap is leaking again." replied the shaman. " I'll have to look into that. How's the alligator? All fed?"

"Yes, sir!" replied the guard. "He was fed and the pit cleaned up before the time lock engaged."

"Speaking of which. . ." the shaman cocked his ear to the door. At that very moment, there was a click and then a whirr and then a noise as though tons of steel were suddenly set to motion. ". . . Ah, right on time. The time lock is set to perfection."

Ed motioned for the shaman to stand away. "Be careful sir, the drawbridge will be moving soon." A quarter of an hour later, the guard and the shaman had the last door open. At first, there was the distinct odor of a menagerie after feeding time. The shaman threw a few scraps to the attack falcon and tested the trap door gingerly. Sometimes the latch did not hold and that is why the shaman always made sure the alligator beneath was always well fed.

"Ed, if you'll stay with me today, I have something you can help me do."

"That's fine, Mister Shaman, Always happy to help."

The shaman proceeded to a bin marked "Tomato Stakes" and pulled out a Remington 742 with Weaver Pivot Mounts on it. "Put this up on the bench, while I find the rest of the stuff." Ed complied. The shaman soon rooted up a couple scopes, a Tasco and a BSA.

"This should be good enough." he said. Within a few minutes, he had the first of the scopes mounted, and bade the guard to hand him the box containing the bore-sighter.

"Have I ever taught you how to mount a scope?"

"No, Mister Shaman. I keep myself happy with the J.C. Penny Catalog."

"That's not what I mean, Ed. Oh, never mind. Look here. I have a normal sort of scope mounted on a normal sort of deer rifle and I am trying to get it straight up and down with a normal sort of bore-sighter. Look through the scope and see what you think." The shaman had to demonstrate. Ed started off looking through the bore-sighter.

"Now, I am twisting the scope 10 degrees counterclockwise in the rings and attempting to compensate with the bore-sighter. If all goes well. . ." the shaman twisted and torqued things for a bit. ". . . if all goes well, there will be a noticeable difference. See what you think." The guard stepped over and peered into the scope.

"It looks crooked." replied the guard. "You turned it to the left."

"Yes, but do the lines all line up?"

"Yes."

"Look carefully?"

"Yes."

"Do you see a mis-alignment?"

"No."

"You don't?"

"No. I mean yes."

"Why did you change your mind?"

"Because I don't want to be wrong."

"There is no wrong answer. What do you see?"

"I don't see anything wrong."

"Yes, but are the lines completely parallel?"

"I suppose?"

"You don't see difference?"

"No. . . I mean yes. . no. . ."

"That's okay Ed. Thanks for your help."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
See, this is where you have it all over the rest of us; you have an assistant. As everyone knows, two heads ar better than one. It could be argued that Ed may not double the mental capacity here but then maybe he does. wink
If I decide my life needs more precision I'll bet I could use my Forster drilling jig along with one of the Starret machinist levels to set up my next scope. It should work a lot like the jig shown. I'll probably still miss those stupid chickens but I will at least do it with a perfectly level scope. GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

That may be, but shooting at me could also prove detrimental, I'm a cantankerous SOB whistle and that'd just piss me off.

laugh

For sure... grin

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shaman - good job of covering the topic.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Shaman - good job of covering the topic.

Probably a decade ago, I noticed that there was a slight difference in the way the lines lined up in a scope that was true to the bore-sighter and any other way I could set it up. I have been using that as part of my scope mounting routine lo these many years.

I "knew" going into this that I could see a minor difference between a well-aligned scope and one that is otherwise. However, two scopes later, I'm beginning to wonder. It kind of reminds me of a story Chin tells:

"So there was a farmer who started missing a shovel. He knew the son of the neighboring farmer had taken it.

"' That boy just looks like a thief.' he said to his wife.

"One day he found the shovel under some sacks in the back of the barn, and realized he had left it there the season before.

"'That boy is beginning to look less and less like a thief.' he told his wife."

I do not know anymore.

On the other hand, I am primarily a deer hunter who sets all his rifles up to be about 2 inches high at 100 yards and leave them for years at a time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I kind of think that scope alignment falls into the same category as the man with two watches. smile

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.