Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
[Linked Image]

Looks like an expensive pile of metal that a $.99 deck of cards could have gave the same outcome in that scenario...

Same jig he used to come to the conclusion that leupold tracts perfectly. You ca t make this [bleep] up

Ah Oh........the assschewing you and EHG are gonna get from RC is gonna be serious.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I mount my scopes out of square to allow for spin drift, moon phase and daylight savings time

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always struggled with the daylight savings time component in my trajectory calculations. If I had $3800, I just get the new Night Force with their daylight savings time compensation reticle. For now I'll just have to stick with this...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If a person takes his rifle/scope south of the Equator, is it necessary to adjust for the difference in the Coriolis Effect?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, but you have to turn the windage and elevation dials the opposite way.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Accuracy also suffers if the barrel does not have the twist going in the opposite direction.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Accuracy also suffers if the barrel does not have the twist going in the opposite direction.

Yep. Fast twist becomes an extremely slow negative twist...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It warms my heart to see this subject getting the kind of attention that it deserves. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston
I've always struggled with the daylight savings time component in my trajectory calculations. If I had $3800, I just get the new Night Force with their daylight savings time compensation reticle. For now I'll just have to stick with this...

[Linked Image]

My $69 Tasco has that feature and its only $69.. not $3800...

of course it won't impress your buddies as much...

but then most guys on the campfire, think you're better off being blind than owning a rifle that sports a Tasco, and then also mount it using Weaver rings...

oh and my Tasco came with a digital stop watch... made in China of course...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a simple method of scope leveling. I place a parallel on the action raceway and set a small square on the parallel. Square the reticle to the action. To check the work or fine adjust I have the rifle in a vice, level it from the parallel and aim at a plumb object as big and far as possible. Back off the scope power and ensure too and bottom line up.....done. it's a 3 minute event.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a devise that was discovered at Stonehenge. It is a plumb line and a sundial. It's called a Syphilitic Druid. The only drawback is it only works at noon.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdb
I use a devise that was discovered at Stonehenge. It is a plumb line and a sundial. It's called a Syphilitic Druid. The only drawback is it only works at noon.

I've seen lots of pictures of the Alaskan Pygmy version, but it requires lots of silly gravel and stream christening rituals and all the instructions are written in an angsty hobbit pidgin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have a simple method of scope leveling. I place a parallel on the action raceway and set a small square on the parallel. Square the reticle to the action. To check the work or fine adjust I have the rifle in a vice, level it from the parallel and aim at a plumb object as big and far as possible. Back off the scope power and ensure too and bottom line up.....done. it's a 3 minute event.

High Country,

Your method is as good as most. I don't fault it. But it does raise the question: if it is not uncommon for factory rifles to have slightly misaligned chambers, and less than perfectly round chambers, should we assume that all action raceways are perfectly level?

Good enough for hunting rifles, but maybe not for the 1,000 yard line, I think.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by high_country_

I don't know how I missed this. Slick!

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by cdb

I've seen lots of pictures of the Alaskan Pygmy version, but it requires lots of silly gravel and stream christening rituals and all the instructions are written in an angsty hobbit pidgin.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I showed your post to my Optics Sensei, Balthazar Nimblesnatch, and he is familiar with that method.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now I want to try one of the Reticle-Tru levelers after reading this discussion.

Does anyone have one of the plastic one for sale?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. The guy that makes them. That's what he does. Makes them to sell them. Have you thought about going to the source? If, 'after reading this discussion', you still don't know who makes them, might I suggest remedial reading classes?

It's only as hard as you make it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Yeah. The guy that makes them. That's what he does. Makes them to sell them. Have you thought about going to the source? If, 'after reading this discussion', you still don't know who makes them, might I suggest remedial reading classes?

It's only as hard as you make it.

Jerry's only making the aluminum version right now...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I've had a number of emails from folks asking when the acetal model reticle-tru will be available again. rather than continue trying to answer these one at a time, i thought it might be easier to just make a post.

currently, i'm just making the aluminum model reticle-tru. in addition, as soon as testing on the aluminum reticle-tru AR model is complete--if testing results are good--i will be offering those as well in the near future.

regarding the acetal model--it has been a great item, and in all the sales made over the past 3 1/2 years, i've only received one back for a refund. meanwhile, as runs were machined, occasionally some would get a scratch or some such cosmetic defect. rather than destroy those, it was a logical solution to sell them as "blems", as they were mechanically/functionally the same as a zero defect part.

one thing that was happening from the get go was the occasional black speck in the material--like a speck of pepper down inside the stock. when the part was machined, these specks would show up near the surface on occasion, and subsequently, they too would be sold as a blem (along with any that had gotten a scratch, etc.). early on there were about 3 or 4 of these reticle-tru's with a black speck in a run of 100 machined. as time went on, this was showing up more often, even though we were purchasing certified material.

therefore, i decided to switch to aluminum--somewhat of a set back. during this time the AR model was also conceived. once this is complete, the idea is to once again look at addressing the acetal supply issue....

for what it's worth, from those guys that i've heard back from who have both the aluminum and the acetal model device, they do indeed prefer the aluminum part. it is heavier, "giving a sense of being more sustantial." however, with smaller oblective bells/ lenses, it will be more inclined to "scope tipping" in the mounting process, but this is easily overcome by following the suggested tip for this situation.

a potential negative of the aluminum part is that if accidentally dropped on a wood stock, it will likely cause a more significant dent than the lighter acetal model...

i really appreciate the many good words....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1Longbow, 1234, 257man, 06hunter59, 160user, 219DW, 48 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,210
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.