Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I didn't have time to scout this year, and my expectations were VERY low when Rowdy and I jumped in the pick-up and drove north a couple of hours after school let out on Friday. The plan was to go light and be mobile. We would just sleep on the side of the mountain in the bed of the truck somewhere on Friday evening, hopefully after we located a bird to chase in the morning.

We didn't locate any birds Friday evening, but we did have a great dinner of elk-burgers and donuts before slipping into the bags for a few hours of sleep. We were up around 5 the next morning, and started driving roads to see if we could light one up. By 8 o'clock, I'd about given up as we'd hiked and driven non-stop for three hours without cutting a track or hearing a bird. We were having a blast making each other laugh and just generally enjoying the company of one another, but were beginning to think we'd come home bird-less once again.

I had one last spot across the valley to try, and we drove there with much-diminished hopes. A couple of miles up the road we came around the corner to a likely-looking spot and stepped out to relieve ourselves and give a quick call. Before both feet had touched the road, I heard one a half-mile or so away gobbling his head off. Soon, several more joined in. We were all smiles as we grabbed the gear and headed off in pursuit.

We closed the distance to within a couple of hundred yards pretty quickly, but we were behind them and they wouldn't turn back to come take a look. We grabbed the decoy up and started climbing up the mountain to get in front of them as best we could. It was pretty steep getting there and I still have my winter fat on, so I had my doubts we'd be able to catch up.

Just as we crested the top of a mostly bald mountain, I heard one light up below us and just over the rise. We threw the decoy out settled in next to a snag that offered the only available cover. We were more exposed than I would have preferred, but didn't feel like we could move much at that point as it sounded like he was closing fast.

About two minutes later I felt Rowdy tense up as he readied for a shot. I was mostly hidden behind the snag, but could see through a small, rotten spot in the snag and got to watch as the bird approached. He was only about 25 yards out, and Rowdy rolled him with a perfect shot as soon as he stopped for a second.

Here he is just after the shot. You can actually see a wing sticking up just over his thumb if you look closely...

[Linked Image]

Lots of hugs and high-fives later we got down to the business of tagging the bird and posing for a picture to be sent to mama (and shared with the Campfire)..

[Linked Image]

As we stood up to leave, another group across the valley started gobbling and I took this picture as he listened to them. It's one of my favorite photos ever...

[Linked Image]

On the hike back down the hill, Rowdy made me pose for a "selfie" because he wanted at least one photo together. "Selfies" are stupid, but I was happy he wanted me in the photo and acquiesced.

[Linked Image]

It was an absolutely great expereince, and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I do with my son in the great state of Idaho. Finally, here he is on the ride home. I usually make him stay awake to keep me entertained, but all the adrenaline of the day got the better of him and I didn't have the heart to keep him awake any longer...

[Linked Image]

All in all it was a pretty awesome weekend. I hope yours was just as great.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 04/11/16.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are the (Dad) Man!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING stupid about that selfie Brother!!!! You just got Honored!!!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Great pics and story! Good job Dad!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Congrats! Way to hang in there.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Congrats to both of you!
These are the best posts!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent job, both of you. What a great trophy for him.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like the "boy" has a great Dad. keep hanging in there with him. I know you're proud.
Nice turkey also!!

best-
Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice smile

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Outstanding!!! now he's hooked.
great job

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here's my bet: neither one of you will ever forget that outing together. Ever. Congratulations! A simple expedition like that together bonded you together forever.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
great job great turkey great dad.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iddave
I didn't have time to scout this year, and my expectations were VERY low when Rowdy and I jumped in the pick-up and drove north a couple of hours after school let out on Friday. The plan was to go light and be mobile. We would just sleep on the side of the mountain in the bed of the truck somewhere on Friday evening, hopefully after we located a bird to chase in the morning.

We didn't locate any birds Friday evening, but we did have a great dinner of elk-burgers and donuts before slipping into the bags for a few hours of sleep. We were up around 5 the next morning, and started driving roads to see if we could light one up. By 8 o'clock, I'd about given up as we'd hiked and driven non-stop for three hours without cutting a track or hearing a bird. We were having a blast making each other laugh and just generally enjoying the company of one another, but were beginning to think we'd come home bird-less once again.

I had one last spot across the valley to try, and we drove there with much-diminished hopes. A couple of miles up the road we came around the corner to a likely-looking spot and stepped out to relieve ourselves and give a quick call. Before both feet had touched the road, I heard one a half-mile or so away gobbling his head off. Soon, several more joined in. We were all smiles as we grabbed the gear and headed off in pursuit.

We closed the distance to within a couple of hundred yards pretty quickly, but we were behind them and they wouldn't turn back to come take a look. We grabbed the decoy up and started climbing up the mountain to get in front of them as best we could. It was pretty steep getting there and I still have my winter fat on, so I had my doubts we'd be able to catch up.

Just as we crested the top of a mostly bald mountain, I heard one light up below us and just over the rise. We threw the decoy out settled in next to a snag that offered the only available cover. We were more exposed than I would have preferred, but didn't feel like we could move much at that point as it sounded like he was closing fast.

About two minutes later I felt Rowdy tense up as he readied for a shot. I was mostly hidden behind the snag, but could see through a small, rotten spot in the snag and got to watch as the bird approached. He was only about 25 yards out, and Rowdy rolled him with a perfect shot as soon as he stopped for a second.

Here he is just after the shot. You can actually see a wing sticking up just over his thumb if you look closely...

[Linked Image]

Lots of hugs and high-fives later we got down to the business of tagging the bird and posing for a picture to be sent to mama (and shared with the Campfire)..

[Linked Image]

As we stood up to leave, another group across the valley started gobbling and I took this picture as he listened to them. It's one of my favorite photos ever...

[Linked Image]

On the hike back down the hill, Rowdy made me pose for a "selfie" because he wanted at least one photo together. "Selfies" are stupid, but I was happy he wanted me in the photo and acquiesced.

[Linked Image]

It was an absolutely great expereince, and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I do with my son in the great state of Idaho. Finally, here he is on the ride home. I usually make him stay awake to keep me entertained, but all the adrenaline of the day got the better of him and I didn't have the heart to keep him awake any longer...

[Linked Image]

All in all it was a pretty awesome weekend. I hope yours was just as great.

Dave

This is probably THE BEST story I've read on the campfire in a long long time. Congratulations to you both.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good on ya dad! You're bringing him up right!

"Elk burgers and donuts", I love it! smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great Job,congrats to you both!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Killer deal man. My youngest hasn't killed a turkey yet. I need to get on the ball.

Ps selfies are only stupid if your a self absorbed douche and your the only one in the pic. If your being humorous or someone is with you you get a pass, not stupid at all.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Terrific!

Congrats to you both.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A productive day spent in the outdoors with your son, beautiful weather what could be better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice going Rowdy!

He's got the penitentiary-face-hero-shot down just like his dad. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.