Page 31 of 70 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 69 70
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Then you don't understand, in general.

Yea...not a clue.
I have a 200gr 30 cal aframe that failed to exit on a medium sized whitetail. I actually tried to post pics early but had no luck.

GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Perhaps I don't know about all the technical stuff relating to SD, bullet penetration, and so on. I already admitted that I don't nor will I know as much as you do about bullets. But all the articles I read from gun writers about controlled-expanding bullets starting with the Partition and ending with solids, the ones that expand sooner and the most are unable to penetrate as deep as the ones that expand the least. Also, the A-Frame is talked about by the same writers as being superior to the Partition in relation to penetration.

Last edited by Ray; 04/15/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now might be a good time to just bow out and admit you don't know what the heck yiur taking about.
For starters the Barnes ttsx/tsx begins to expand immediately and it is a deep penetration bullet.
Perhaps the writer in question doesn't know what the hell he is talking about either or perhaps your comprehension of what he wrote was off?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker

Yea...not a clue.
I have a 200gr 30 cal aframe that failed to exit on a medium sized whitetail. I actually tried to post pics early but had no luck.

Did it kill the deer?

I have also posted a 250-grain A-Frame that failed to exit a large moose, but it killed the moose nevertheless. I just haven't been able to recover any of the Barnes 225-grain 3-Shock I have killed moose with. I could not post a Federal 250-grain NOS HE that I used to kill a moose with a lung shot, because there were only little pieces of lead and jacket inside the moose.

I believe you said that SD has no meaning with expanding bullets. Right? What does that say about you?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now might be a good time to just bow out and admit you don't know what the heck yiur taking about.
For starters the Barnes ttsx/tsx begins to expand immediately and it is a deep penetration bullet.
Perhaps the writer in question doesn't know what the hell he is talking about either or perhaps your comprehension of what he wrote was off?

Perhaps it's you who can't comprehend what the writers say about bullet penetration when comparing the Partition, to the A-Frame, and to Triple-Shock?

Why do you think solid to near solid bullets are preferred for head shots on elephants? Because they expand the fastest and penetrate the most?

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your making the assumption that partition failed because you didn't find it. I highly doubt it indeed failed.
If indeed you want to go by the "will it kill a animal" criteria there isn't an animal in NA I couldn't kill and easily with a nosler 180 BT.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ray

Perhaps it's you who can't comprehend what the writers say about bullet penetration when comparing the Partition, to the A-Frame, and to Triple-Shock?

Why do you think solid to near solid bullets are preferred for head shots on elephants? Because they expand the fastest and penetrate the most?

One writer, who has been known to be full of crap a time or three made a comment and you take it as gospel..
The rest of your post simply displays your inability to connect the dots..

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your making the assumption that partition failed because you didn't find it. I highly doubt it indeed failed.
If indeed you want to go by the "will it kill a animal" criteria there isn't an animal in NA I couldn't kill and easily with a nosler 180 BT.

No. You are assuming that the partition failed. I have never said such thing. In fact, I have said several times that the Partition killed the moose pretty fast, so it did its job. All I said, it that perhaps it expanded too fast, maybe when it hit a rib (don't really know), and because it was too fast (don't really know). All I know is that it blew to pieces inside the moose, even the jacket.

Of course you can kill any animal with a 180-grain Partition. Hunters have been and will continue killing all sorts of game with 30-caliber bullets of all kinds. You can also kill a moose with a BB gun if you try hard enough (true case. It happened in Anchorage, AK).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ray
Ray,

Petzal apparently believes (as many people do) that weight retention is the ONLY factor in bullet penetration, and it isn't. Frontal area of the mushroom is at least as important, and perhaps more so. This can easily be demonstrated by shooting various bullets of the same weight, diameter and muzzle velocity into the same media. But there are plenty of hunters who never get beyond a belief in sheer weight retention.

Yes, I understand what he says. But my point is that in general, the bullets that penetrate the most are the ones that retain more of their weight. For example, the partition is designed to retain around 65% of its weight, the A-Frame around 85 or more%, the FS and TSX around 100%, and so on.

Also, that every article I read about bullet penetration versus brand or type the A-Frame is always talked about out-penetrating the partition, and the reason why is one of the top bullets for hunting in Africa.

Ray, in the calibers and weights I've tried A-Frames on I have not only found them to penetrate less than partition counterparts but they also were stopped by offside hide in dramatic fashion. Specifically, on one cull hunt I found several stretched out hides were an a-frame never broke through, forming a dramatic nipple. Probably because the aframes were quite roundish with no sharp edges. Also, I felt swifts did generally less damage than partitions.
Several reasons I feel make the X bullet a good penetrator: One, the frontal area of an expanded Xbullet is quite a bit smaller than a classic "mushroom" from a copper/lead bullet. Two, the mechanism in deformation by the means of bending that an X goes through takes less energy than the malleable plastic deformation a lead/jacketed bullet goes through. That's not to say the lead/jacketed bullet is harder, just the opposite in a general sense, and it just absorbs/dissipates more energy to expand. Ironically the swift AF looses energy by having the rear core rivet. Similarly, the failsafe penetrated deep but less when Winchester removed the steel insert in the rear core, causing it also to rivet. Winchester tried to convince people this double mushroom was some sort of double whammy on game and not some sort of cost cutting measure. Actually the frontal mushroom masked the the rear rivet as it does in the swift AF. Also, early X's commonly blew off thier petals, lost quite a bit of weight and still penetrated very deep. Now they don't but weight retention isn't really the reason behind their deep penetration. I have always looked at the swift as a generally unremarkable high priced premium bullet.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray

One writer, who has been known to be full of crap a time or three made a comment and you take it as gospel..
The rest of your post simply displays your inability to connect the dots..

Can you name "that" writer? I didn't say "one" writer; what I said is that every article I read, gun writers point to the A-Frame as penetrating deeper than the Partition, and that it's favored for hunting in Africa where the most bullet penetration is desired.

Blame "them writers," not me.

IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Ray
Ray,

Petzal apparently believes (as many people do) that weight retention is the ONLY factor in bullet penetration, and it isn't. Frontal area of the mushroom is at least as important, and perhaps more so. This can easily be demonstrated by shooting various bullets of the same weight, diameter and muzzle velocity into the same media. But there are plenty of hunters who never get beyond a belief in sheer weight retention.

Yes, I understand what he says. But my point is that in general, the bullets that penetrate the most are the ones that retain more of their weight. For example, the partition is designed to retain around 65% of its weight, the A-Frame around 85 or more%, the FS and TSX around 100%, and so on.

Also, that every article I read about bullet penetration versus brand or type the A-Frame is always talked about out-penetrating the partition, and the reason why is one of the top bullets for hunting in Africa.

Ray, in the calibers and weights I've tried A-Frames on I have not only found them to penetrate less than partition counterparts but they also were stopped by offside hide in dramatic fashion. Specifically, on one cull hunt I found several stretched out hides were an a-frame never broke through, forming a dramatic nipple. Probably because the aframes were quite roundish with no sharp edges. Also, I felt swifts did generally less damage than partitions.
Several reasons I feel make the X bullet a good penetrator: One, the frontal area of an expanded Xbullet is quite a bit smaller than a classic "mushroom" from a copper/lead bullet. Two, the mechanism in deformation by the means of bending that an X goes through takes less energy than the malleable plastic deformation a lead/jacketed bullet goes through. That's not to say the lead/jacketed bullet is harder, just the opposite in a general sense, and it just absorbs/dissipates more energy to expand. Ironically the swift AF looses energy by having the rear core rivet. Similarly, the failsafe penetrated deep but less when Winchester removed the steel insert in the rear core, causing it also to rivet. Winchester tried to convince people this double mushroom was some sort of double whammy on game and not some sort of cost cutting measure. Actually the frontal mushroom masked the the rear rivet as it does in the swift AF. Also, early X's commonly blew off thier petals, lost quite a bit of weight and still penetrated very deep. Now they don't but weight retention isn't really the reason behind their deep penetration. I have always looked at the swift as a generally unremarkable high priced premium bullet.

What I found with the 250-grain A-Frame is that it was quite difficult to push it out the barrel as fast as the 250-grain Partition. The one I posted above somewhere was retrieved from I moose I killed several years ago. It stayed inside the moose, but it dropped it pretty fast. The 230-grain FS caused almost and instant death, but the effect was greater because it broke the near shoulder bone, clipped the heart's arteries as well as the lungs. The A-Frame dropped the moose on the moss, and I waited for it to die perhaps 10 minutes.

I not longer use the A-Frame (very expensive), nor the Partition. I have settled on the 225-grain TTSX, since the results from the Triple-Shock have been nothing but outstanding on moose. The only problem is that I haven't been able to retrieve any from the moose I have killed with it. I haven't shot anything with the tipped X, just the Triple Shock. I will see what happens in September during moose season smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Awesome, you have succeeded into turning your 7Mag into a 280!

No, because I use 140g NF and TTSX in the .280. They both get launched about 250fps faster when I use them in my 7mm RM.

Same thing applies to your 280. Can't get around poorly designed shape.

It went right over his head, BW.

I think Coyote Hunter means well. But he's dense as fück.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ray

Maybe it's because they have the smallest frontal diameter?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Ray

Well, most of the elephant guns are medium to big bores. But I imagine that the reason for using a solid bullet is so it does not expand and fall apart when it hits the skull.

I imagine that the reasons for loading handguns with hard-cast instead of defense ammo are similar (what you want the most is penetration, not expansion)?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Ray
Ray,

What I found with the 250-grain A-Frame is that it was quite difficult to push it out the barrel as fast as the 250-grain Partition. The one I posted above somewhere was retrieved from I moose I killed several years ago. It stayed inside the moose, but it dropped it pretty fast. The 230-grain FS caused almost and instant death, but the effect was greater because it broke the near shoulder bone, clipped the heart's arteries as well as the lungs. The A-Frame dropped the moose on the moss, and I waited for it to die perhaps 10 minutes.

I not longer use the A-Frame (very expensive), nor the Partition. I have settled on the 225-grain TTSX, since the results from the Triple-Shock have been nothing but outstanding on moose. The only problem is that I haven't been able to retrieve any from the moose I have killed with it. I haven't shot anything with the tipped X, just the Triple Shock. I will see what happens in September during moose season smile

Small fry is right...
I.might also add that the petals on an expanded TSX are such that even when the frontal diameter is similar, the frontal area is less which provides for deeper penetration.
With that said the TSX and the TTSX do have problems expanding sometimes which gives me pause.
I am currently running them, but only because of the I have begun to wonder about exposing my young children to lead. I do know from shooting quit a few critters with 25 cal and 30 cal TSX and TTSX that they kill less quickly than something like a partition, an interbond, accubond, BT, etc.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Ray

Well, most of the elephant guns are medium to big bores. But I imagine that the reason for using a solid bullet is so it does not expand and fall apart when it hits the skull.

I imagine that the reasons for loading handguns with hard-cast instead of defense ammo are similar (what you want the most is penetration, not expansion)?

Pretty simple...less frontal AREA = more penetration all things being equal.
As for hard cast bullets in handguns. They are used over expanding bullets because expanding bullets don't work well at and can't be counted on to expand at hand gun velocities. A wide meplate cast bullet provides for cavitation which an un expanded expanding bullet doesnt. Cavitation influences wound size so the cast bullet kills much better. Added penetration also favors the cast bullet. Much of that added penetration is because unlike a jacketed handgun bullet that doesnt expand, a cast bullet doesn't yaw after striking flesh. The frontal diameter is also less when compared to a jacketed bullet that actually expands.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ray,

Sorry I was a little abrupt yesterday.

Many gun writers don't really understand bullet expansion and penetration, partly because so many don't carefully set up and analyze the tests they make--if the make any. Which is why you see the repeated claim that higher weight retention always results in deeper penetration. This simply isn't true, and while it's easy to prove, many people (not just writers) just repeat what they've heard or read. This has been pretty good for me, because I've sold a lot of articles that actually tested many old assumptions, which either were true at one time but aren't any more, or never were true in the first place.

I believe the fixation on bullet weight retention started with Bob Hagel's book, Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter, published in the 1970's. Before Hagel there wasn't much real testing of big game bullets, but there were only two real premium bullets back then, the Partition and Bitterroot Bonded Core. Hagel emphasized weight retention constantly throughout the book, but also mentioned at least once that the BBC didn't penetrate as deeply, because of its wider mushroom. But most readers (including a lot of gun writers) mostly remembered the emphasis on weight retention, which is why so many articles, books and hunter gossip emphasized weight retention as the Great God of Bullet Performance.

The other reason I suspect weight retention got such pay is it's much more easily quantified than wide expansion, so is more easily bragged about when hunters keep score. And most humans keep score in some way, whether or not the score means anything.

The most extreme field example of wide expansion limiting penetration I've seen was a 360-grain bonded bullet from a .416 Remington Magnum that didn't exit during an angling shot on a 100-pound deer. The bullet retained around 90% of its weight, but also expanded to over 2-1/2 times its original diameter, with only a very short shank left unexpanded. If it had been an actual mushroom, it would have looked like the mushroom's top was sitting directly on the ground. There's no way a bullet that wide will penetrate as deeply as a bullet that expands into a long-shanked mushroom with a small "top."

Another common and mistaken assumption (that you also alluded to) is that different expanding bullets expand faster or slower than others. Instead, the vast majority expand completely by the time they penetrate their own length. Instead, the difference is in how much they fragment, not how fast they expand.

The exception to this, oddly enough, is very long-ogived "target" spitzers with tiny hollow-points. The needle-point tends to delay expansion until the bullet penetrates 2-3 inches, whereupon expansion is usually violent because of the thin jackets common to such bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray,

Sorry I was a little abrupt yesterday.

Many gun writers don't really understand bullet expansion and penetration, partly because so many don't carefully set up and analyze the tests they make--if the make any. Which is why you see the repeated claim that higher weight retention always results in deeper penetration. This simply isn't true, and while it's easy to prove, many people (not just writers) just repeat what they've heard or read. This has been pretty good for me, because I've sold a lot of articles that actually tested many old assumptions, which either were true at one time but aren't any more, or never were true in the first place.

I believe the fixation on bullet weight retention started with Bob Hagel's book, Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter, published in the 1970's. Before Hagel there wasn't much real testing of big game bullets, but there were only two real premium bullets back then, the Partition and Bitterroot Bonded Core. Hagel emphasized weight retention constantly throughout the book, but also mentioned at least once that the BBC didn't penetrate as deeply, because of its wider mushroom. But most readers (including a lot of gun writers) mostly remembered the emphasis on weight retention, which is why so many articles, books and hunter gossip emphasized weight retention as the Great God of Bullet Performance.

The other reason I suspect weight retention got such pay is it's much more easily quantified than wide expansion, so is more easily bragged about when hunters keep score. And most humans keep score in some way, whether or not the score means anything.

The most extreme field example of wide expansion limiting penetration I've seen was a 360-grain bonded bullet from a .416 Remington Magnum that didn't exit during an angling shot on a 100-pound deer. The bullet retained around 90% of its weight, but also expanded to over 2-1/2 times its original diameter, with only a very short shank left unexpanded. If it had been an actual mushroom, it would have looked like the mushroom's top was sitting directly on the ground. There's no way a bullet that wide will penetrate as deeply as a bullet that expands into a long-shanked mushroom with a small "top."

Another common and mistaken assumption (that you also alluded to) is that different expanding bullets expand faster or slower than others. Instead, the vast majority expand completely by the time they penetrate their own length. Instead, the difference is in how much they fragment, not how fast they expand.

The exception to this, oddly enough, is very long-ogived "target" spitzers with tiny hollow-points. The needle-point tends to delay expansion until the bullet penetrates 2-3 inches, whereupon expansion is usually violent because of the thin jackets common to such bullets.

Maybe old writers could not disassociate retained weight from the bullet SD formula?
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd_beginners.htm

Not arguing, just wondering.
-----------

That aside, I have nothing against any hunting bullets, and like all in this forum have a favorite or two. For me it happens to be the 225-grain Barnes Triple-Shock, since it has done quite well for me in recent years loaded around 2800 fps. And yes, the old reliable .338WM factory load with a 250-grain partition probably is the most widely used by hunters using rifles of this caliber, and is readily available in the stores.

Last edited by Ray; 04/16/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same thing applies to your 280. Can't get around poorly designed shape.

Poorly designed shape? Only if a high B.C. was the primary goal of the design, which, if you have ever talked to Mike Brady, the bullet's designer, you would know wasn't the case. Excellent and reliable terminal performance is what the NF are designed for and after poking quite a few animals with them, they remain my favorite bullet for all around use. Form follows function.

And btw assumption that a NF will expand at 500 yards in game from a 30-06 based on shooting a dirt bank is a bit flawed. Last I checked elk aren't made out of dirt.

Only a fool would consider dirt (or any other test media) and elk flesh and bone to be identical and it takes just as big a fool to assume someone else makes that assumption. Nevertheless, such test media and the data points they provide are not without value. The NF bullets are designed to expand in flesh and bone at velocities well below the impact velocity of the bullet I recovered from dirt at 500 yards, calculated at 1972fps. I would have been quite disappointed if the recovered bullet either a) had not expanded, or b) had torn itself to shrapnel. Moreover I would have been very surprised by either outcome as I've had them expand in game at calculated velocities under 1600fps.

Steel is a lousy substitute for flesh and bone but as a matter or record, NF bullets are the only bullet I've ever recovered a significant portion of after shooting steel plate at 200 yards. AB fly to a million pieces based on shredding of nearby paper targets and TTSX, while they leave a bright copper-plated dent, also appear to fly to flinders. The NF would dig a hole and although they lost most of their lead core, a fair portion of the shank would be wedged in the hole with a mushroom cap up front. While I don't have any plans to shoot wild steel in the field, I have no qualms about using my fastest NF loads on game at ranges of a few feet, either - something I can't say for my fastest AB loads.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/16/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, poorly designed shape. And retaining velocity is a pretty important function.

I did assume anything, yiur the one that posted those apples and oranges photos to try and pump your favorite bullet.

Page 31 of 70 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.