-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why don't they let it burn? There is nothing better for wildlife than seasonal fires. It's natures way.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Rockin---You are a level headed guy and one I respect but you are way in over head on this one. I guarndamntee you that fighting a fire in steep rugged mountainous terrain is a little more than most volunteer fire departments are up for and a hell of a lot different than a shed fire in BillyTom Texas. They do supplement professional wildland firefighters but are not the tip of the spear. As to your bake sale "idea", in case you were serious and not just spitballing great ideas, get on it. Once you've sold about a $500,000,000 of brownies then you'll be ready to start. Just remember you're going to have to do that each year. Lemonade sales at western firecamps might get help out with your bottom line. We'll build a continuous 50 foot high wall across southern Texas before bake sales and raffles will fund wild fires.

Usually, the fundraisers they have here are damn good BBQ's. laugh

Been to several of them.

I bet. I've heard Texas bbq is the best and most Texas men know how to cook. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
quote=ltppowell]Why don't they let it burn? There is nothing better for wildlife than seasonal fires. It's natures way. [/quote]

and take out people's homes, natural resources, power lines, ect?

yea, good idea...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Why don't they let it burn? There is nothing better for wildlife than seasonal fires. It's natures way.

I wish they would. Politics and money being at the head.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by toad
quote=ltppowell]Why don't they let it burn? There is nothing better for wildlife than seasonal fires. It's natures way.

yea, good idea... [/quote]

There are a lot of areas that could be left to burn but aren't. I personally would like to see a lot more selective logging and thinning but since our timber isn't worth squat it's not cost effective to helicopter log it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by ltppowell

yea, good idea...

There are a lot of areas that could be left to burn but aren't. I personally would like to see a lot more selective logging and thinning but since our timber isn't worth squat it's not cost effective to helicopter log it.

yea, but in the lower 48, all big fires will have to be stopped somewhere.

logging is a useful management tool.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There would be far, far less numbers of huge forest fires as we have seen in recent years, if the forest were managed properly, and logging and clearing of brush were allowed.

You have no [bleep] idea the sheer scope of what you are attempting to speak. Really. You cannot imagine.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You used could have let certain fires burn themselves out, back in the day the forests were managed right.

Now it's tall, mature growth timber from horizon to horizon, and the fires are epic in damage and costs.

Aces, I've been back in Texas for a little bit after many years in NM on ranching on public lands and living surrounded by USFS, and even working for the local government and dealing with both BLM & USFS.

I have first hand knowledge of some things. wink

Our county fought tooth and nail to get control of the forest because it was a danger and an expense to everyone because of the way it was being run.

http://www.timberharvesting.com/usfs-sues-new-mexico-otero-county/

http://www.kvia.com/news/otero-county-ranchers-protest-against-us-forest-service/26271164

https://pearce.house.gov/press-rele...ncy-tree-cutting-lincoln-national-forest

http://krwg.org/post/otero-county-resolution-authorizing-removal-lincoln-national-forest-trees-ruled

The battle is ongoing.

http://www.kvia.com/news/ranchers-hopeful-otero-county-sheriff-can-unlock-usfs-gates/25889116

http://offgridsurvival.com/feds-seize-new-mexico-ranchers-land/

http://www.livestockweekly.com/papers/00/09/14/whlotero.asp

I was right there on the grass roots of all of the above, and still have more stories and experiences of federal overreach.

It ain't all roses and coffee cake.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
There would be far, far less numbers of huge forest fires as we have seen in recent years, if the forest were managed properly, and logging and clearing of brush were allowed.

You have no [bleep] idea the sheer scope of what you are attempting to speak. Really. You cannot imagine.

It's obvious every public land thread, NONE of these guys from the East have a clue.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Smarten up. Jeffo

Everyone isn't quite as stupid as you.

I have enough fuggin' smarts to not support gun control.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Our forests are mismanaged terribly and that's a major contributing factor to the size and scope of modern wild fires. The courts, greenies and other contributing factors are to blame for the mismanagement. Modern day "foresters" are a joke. The guys I know are the old school BTDT types but the new ones are fat ass lesbians that while they've been deep in the bush have never seen a forest.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
National Forest Service was responsible for much of the mismanagement.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Our forests are mismanaged terribly and that's a major contributing factor to the size and scope of modern wild fires. The courts, greenies and other contributing factors are to blame for the mismanagement. Modern day "foresters" are a joke. The guys I know are the old school BTDT types but the new ones are fat ass lesbians that while they've been deep in the bush have never seen a forest.

That's my experience too.

Often times, to be fair, the USFS is held hostage by lawsuits from the greenies.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rockin--I completely agree. The forest circus makes plenty of WTF are you thinking decisions but they are often caught in the middle.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Right.

Have you figured in how much more money would come in to local governments if permit fees are charged for industry that cannot get permits now on federal lands?

Or how many local residents would be able to go to work in those industries?

Communism equals suppression.

Capitalism equals growth and strong economy.

All the states that are mostly, or close to mostly federal lands are always about two hairs away from bankruptcy, waiting for the next government rescue check.

While the states that support themselves and pay taxes are the ones footing the bills for them.

Wonder why?

I guess "supporting themselves" doesn't include fire suppression?

It appears "we" are supporting a large portion of Teaxs' fire suppression.

Click on Texas and scroll down to fire management.
https://www.fema.gov/disasters/grid/state-tribal-government

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

That's my experience too.

Often times, to be fair, the USFS is held hostage by lawsuits from the greenies.

This^^

I was standing with my grandfather when they handed him the sese and desist order over the spotted owl.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is firefighting hike and horseback only in roadless areas?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Backroads
Is firefighting hike and horseback only in roadless areas?

They drop firefighters, water and retardant from aerial assets. But yeah...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Serious question.

Do you that want lands to go to state control really think that the special interest groups that have helped create many of the mismanagement practices are just going to go away?

I think it would worsen.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Holy [bleep] that made me laugh.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1Longbow, 257Bob, 1936M71, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 63 invisible), 11,361 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,263
Posts18,544,790
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.