Hop To
Page 34 of 70 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 69 70
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Starman,

Gee, thanks for your condescending and non-illuminating post.

All I've done is shoot various bullets into a lot of different testing media, some of which was capable of retaining the wound channel, and compared not only the channel but the depth of penetration with the diameter of the mushroom and the retained weight.

Often I've fired the same weight of bullet (or nearly so) at the same velocity, from the same rifle, so everything was as close to the same as possible--and many bullets that retained less weight penetrated at deeply, or even deeper, than bullets that retained more weight.

No doubt this could have been figured out with formulas, but one thing I've discovered about writing about firearms is most readers need to SEE something before they can grasp it. Which is why I've taken the time not only to shoot a bunch of test-media over the years, but have gone on a bunch of cull hunts to see how well test media results correlate to field use.

Thanks very much for suggesting I could have just as well stayed home and not wasted a bunch of bullets in actual testing, when fiddling with formulas could have saved me all that time, money and effort.

The formula for SD would be applicable for expanding bullets if you had a way of accurately measuring the frontal area of the expanded bullet.
However, several variable would still exist.
It's common knowledge that a 300gr 375 solid will penetrate deeper than a 500 gr solid out of a 458. So your comment on frontal area vs is weight is spot on.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BWalker,

Concerning ballistic coefficent's role in hunting bullets, thought you might be interested in this pair of April 2016 posts from Coyote Hunter, edited to remove some junk:

April 17th--

Both Mike Brady, the original NF [North Fork] designer, and the current NF owners are totally unapologetic regarding the NF bullet shape. The NF bullets were never intended for long range use but rather to perform extremely well from the muzzle to ranges well past where most game is taken.

If retaining velocity is so important, why do you prefer AB [AccuBond] when there are bullets available that do a much better job at that? If B.C. is the primary consideration, AB bullets are clearly "poorly designed".

April 18th--My .338 is a 22” WM and it pushes a 225g AB to 2742fps with H100V. In 2013 I used it to take a cow at 487 yards.

I went with the 225g AB because of the extra energy at longer ranges….

While you may see some kind of contradiction there, I do not. For elk-sized game I prefer NF over AB in the smaller diameter/lighter weight bullets. When choosing a bullet for the .338WM I reasoned that a 225g bullet would be adequate even if it lost a lot of weight. Still, I went with a bonded core rather than a cup-and-core for hunting. Two elk have fallen to my .338WM/225g AB combo and all bullets have exited.

As I have stated multiple times in this thread I value terminal performance over a high B.C. value. The .225g AB don’t seem to be lacking in terminal performance.

It is pretty clear bwalker also values terminal performance over high B.C. values as, in his words, he refuses to use ‘target’ bullets for hunting. We just disagree as to what the optimum balance is for our individual purposes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the tenth time you don't have to give up terminal performance to still have decent BC.. there are plenty of bullets with a decent BC perform as well or better than a North Fork. All of em cost less to boot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
For the tenth time you don't have to give up terminal performance to still have decent BC.. there are plenty of bullets with a decent BC perform as well or better than a North Fork. All of em cost less to boot.

Agreed in part, you don't have to give up terminal performance to have a 'decent' B.C. We just disagree on what constitutes a 'decent'.

There are plenty of bullets available that I don't trust to the extent I trust the NF, AF, TB and MRX/TTSX bullets, particularly when high velocity impacts and/or heavy bone are a possibility. That includes Accubonds.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't agree with your list, but that's fine. Why not use a TTSX over a North Fork then?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't agree with your list, but that's fine. Why not use a TTSX over a North Fork then?

Apparently you haven't been reading Fotis's posts....

David

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have not. LINK?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

While you may see some kind of contradiction there, I do not. For elk-sized game I prefer NF over AB in the smaller diameter/lighter weight bullets. When choosing a bullet for the .338WM I reasoned that a 225g bullet would be adequate even if it lost a lot of weight.

Weren't you planning on shooting an elk with Accubonds in your 280 last fall. IIRC that was your excuse for sticking a 280 in your 338 - the bullets have the same tips and thus look similar.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Agreed in part, you don't have to give up terminal performance to have a 'decent' B.C. We just disagree on what constitutes a 'decent'.

There are plenty of bullets available that I don't trust to the extent I trust the NF, AF, TB and MRX/TTSX bullets, particularly when high velocity impacts and/or heavy bone are a possibility. That includes Accubonds.

Not a North Fork...

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

When a guy has a history of stoking his guns with the wrong ammo, it's no wonder he can't grasp some of these concepts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Frequently I do. I trust them more than an AB as well, but not quite as much as a NF.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I take the AB every single day of the week..
North Fork certainly won't do anything a TTSX except lighten your wallet faster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Mule Deer,

As I read through Starman's post I thought, "Should I put this guy on ignore now or plod through one more of his physics class lectures?"

If you want to ignore the fundamental mathematical modelling techniques prevalent in todays modern day world study of physics
which are valuable to any worthy test/study and just believe what you read in gun writers book, go right ahead.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starman,

Gee, thanks for your condescending and non-illuminating post...

Seems you are over sensitive to being logically quizzed on the soundness of your theories...maybe you can work on that personal issue.

Thanks very much for suggesting I could have just as well stayed home and not wasted a bunch of bullets in actual testing,
when fiddling with formulas could have saved me all that time, money and effort.

LOL...How about you first learn to read properly?, cause nowhere did I say your bullet testing was a waste,
What I did say ,was, some corresponding mathematical modelling relating to your mechanical tests would give it much more credibility,
especially should it closely resemble your actual physical results...its not a bad concept...a whole variety of industries from aviation, medical,
to building construction use that method to review & test their designs...so I cannot see why it wouldn't be equally valuable & relevant to bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

While you may see some kind of contradiction there, I do not. For elk-sized game I prefer NF over AB in the smaller diameter/lighter weight bullets. When choosing a bullet for the .338WM I reasoned that a 225g bullet would be adequate even if it lost a lot of weight.

Weren't you planning on shooting an elk with Accubonds in your 280 last fall. IIRC that was your excuse for sticking a 280 in your 338 - the bullets have the same tips and thus look similar.

I've never said I won't use AB on elk nor is it any secret that I have used them in the past. To date I've taken one elk with a .30-06/150g AB and two with a .338WM/225g AB. The .30-06 was a new rifle to me and the 150g load was developed for antelope. I had been practicing with the .30-06 for a couple months, had taken it antelope hunting a month earlier and was pretty confident with it out to 600 yards. As a result the .30-06 became my primary rifle for my elk hunt that year and the 150g load was used because it was the only hunting load I had developed for the rifle at that time. The .30-06 launches the 150g AB at 2991fps but because I wasn't anticipating any shots under 200 yards, expected impact velocities were under 2700fps. I wasn't too concerned about the AB holding together at that velocity.

This photo has been posted before, but here it is again, my cow taken in 2010 with the .30-06/150g AB, 282 yards. Shot in the neck on the facing side, no blood around the entry wound and no exit but the cow dropped instantly because I hit the CNS. The lack of an exit surprised me and didn't engender any confidence in that load.
[Linked Image]

Last year I intended to try a 140g AB in my .280 Rem but they are launched 300fps slower than 140g bullets from my 7mm RM - 2901fps for the 140g AB vs 3214fps for the 140g NF and 3358fps for the 140g TTSX. (I don't have any AB loads for the 7mm RM or .300WM, which get NF and Barnes exclusively for hunting loads.) In the end I tool a 6x4 bull at 411 ayrds (my second longest shot ever) with my buddy's 7mm RM and a 160g 'brick' Speer calls a 'Grand Slam'. The bull went 4 steps and down so obviously the 'brick' failed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Starman,

OK, now I get it.

I'll suggest just that to the people at various North American and European companies who've been designing and making expanding hunting bullets for decades, and who all employ professionals from various engineering disciplines who no doubt could provide such mathematical modeling. Several of those companies and people helped me start my research in how expanding bullets work, and I've participated in various ways in their tests over the years. I am sure they'd welcome your help in "corresponding mathematical modelling," which would lend considerably more credence to their products.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote Hunter,

So you shoot three critters and suddenly you know all about Accubonds?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I understand our needs today to quantify everything bullets based on formulas and charts,
but we seem to ignore a lot of stuff in the process, foremost being bullet construction as we talk "numbers".

There are modelling programs out there that cover the "numbers" for differences in bullet contruction,design and materials,
and they also show the susceptible stress & fatigue zones and how they effect the bullet deforming during the penetration
process of your chosen test media/medias.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm sure we can come close in uniform media predicting exactly what a bullet will always do .........but
what happens after hit hits 3" of soggy or mud caked hide, then muscle, sinew,bone of varying density (like a brick wall).....
and then gooey, soft stuff (vitals), and then back into the tougher going of more muscle and bone?

Todays modern bullet fatigue modelling programs also allow you to create a test media with multiple/varied composition.
what you need are the assigned individual values of mud, hide,muscle, bone, etc, .to insert into the program.

(btw:-) bone is not like a brick, bone is rather high in moisture content and rather elastic , compared to a brick....put those two
different media values into a modelling program and it will clearly highlight the difference.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Starman
There are modelling programs out there that cover the "numbers" for differences in bullet contruction,design and materials, and they also show the susceptible stress & fatigue zones and how they effect the bullet deforming during the penetration
process of your chosen test media/medias.

Why don't you post a link to a few.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 34 of 70 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.