Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

I load for 9 different cartridges and have Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Lapua, and Remington on my bench. My favorite bullet manufacturer is Nosler. I think they have an amazingly broad and diverse offering of hunting and target bullets.

I use moderate velocity rounds almost exclusively so I'm usually pushing bullets between 2400-2800 FPS. I love the Ballistic Tip for those velocities. As the game gets bigger, I generally use a bigger bullet vs pushing one faster.

Scott
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For deer hunting Remington.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I load for 9 different cartridges and have Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Lapua, and Remington on my bench. My favorite bullet manufacturer is Nosler. I think they have an amazingly broad and diverse offering of hunting and target bullets.

I use moderate velocity rounds almost exclusively so I'm usually pushing bullets between 2400-2800 FPS. I love the Ballistic Tip for those velocities. As the game gets bigger, I generally use a bigger bullet vs pushing one faster.

If so, you should have SPS on speed dial so to speak... wink. I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i load for 3 rifles:

.243 still working on a load using Nosler

.280ai use Nosler for big game & Hornady for groundhogs

.338ai have some Nosler's left but switching to Barnes since nosler has been hit/miss for what I wanted and Barnes has been easy to find the bullets I want

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

If so, you should have SPS on speed dial so to speak... wink. I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...

Yep.

My favorite bullets are Nosler seconds.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Speaking of SPS, they have a decent selection of .277, 7mm and 30 cal partition seconds right now:

Partition (Blem) bullets

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reloading, anymore I tend to lean towards Nosler or hornady. Use to shoot speer alot, but they have changed so much on products its rather annoying and unreliable for me.

Factory, cut my teeth on remington core-lokt. Still use factory loaded core locks. They may have changed there psp jacket a little, but there sp jacket still has that wonderful HEAVY hour-glass taper to it.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lapua. Scenars, specifically.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Barnes, Barnes, Barnes,

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like others, I've used and still use many different brands.
My long time favorite big game bullet has been the Nosler Partition. But, since Kalifornia law requires non lead hunting bullets, I've switched over to the Barnes TTSX.
For rifle practice, the one brand that has always shot well for me with the same loads that work with my hunting bullets has been Sierra.
The only brands I've had a trouble finding reasonable accuracy and velocity have been the Swift-A-Frames and the older Speer Hot Cores. E

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nosler, Partitions in particular.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...

I'm very aware of SPS. I'm not sure how you couldn't be if you are a member of this site. I might pick a Nosler box here and there at the store to see if my rifle likes them. If they do, I'll pick more from SPS when they come available.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite is Nosler. They make a broad range of bullets, and you could hunt the world on Noslers alone.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favourite is Nosler, in particular the Accubond but I like the Ballistic Tip and Partition too.

I like to try all sorts of bullets so have tried the various bullets from Speer, Hornady Interlock, Silvertips, Corelokt's Norma Spire Point, Alaska and Oryx, Swift Scirocco, Sako Hammerhead, Winchester Fail Safe, Barnes X, TSX and TTSX, Nosler E Tip and probably some I have forgotten.

Of that group I really like the Scirocco, TTSX, Oryx and Hammerhead.

This year I hope to try the Sierra 6.5mm 130 gr HPBT on deer and the 6.5mm Lapua 155 gr Mega bullet.

The only ones I didn't like were the 220 gr Silvertip from a 30-06 which came apart (but still brought down my first moose years ago) the Norma Spire point from a 308 Norma Mag (same issue on a bear) and a 375 250 gr X bullet which failed to expand on a bear (a second 260 gr Accubond hammered him nicely)

Last edited by gerrygoat; 04/23/16.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh and your favourite bullet sucks grin

Gerry.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
#1 Nosler

#2 Sierra

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nosler here...

Specifically all of their 2nds..

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Easy choice for me....Nosler.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Having grown up near Bend, I cut my teeth on Nosler seconds, back when you could get anything and all you wanted. Still use them when possible, but they don't make everything I need like

Speer makes a great 87 grain bullet for the 250-3000. Nosler claims none of theirs will shoot in the 1-14 twist of the old Savage rifles.

Hornady and Sierra 375 Winchester flat nose bullets. Nosler doesn't make one.

145 grain BTSP Speers with the right shape for the Savage 99 .284.

LOL
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had a relatively difficult time with Noslers. Still work with them as I like their design, BC, etc. If I had to pick only one for hunting it would be Barnes.

Last edited by prm; 04/23/16.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,348
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.