Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
^^Like this! How do you like the subsonic performance?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm looking at picking up a 10mm for woods/ranch carry. Glock & Sig are the 2 that have come to the top. Am I leaving any out that I should consider?
I've got the Glock 21, which is the same gun, only different chambering than the 20. Can't beat it for weight/capacity/power ratios, not to mention reliability. Naturally, a single action will have a slightly better trigger pull, but the Glock trigger, once correctly learned, isn't as far behind a 1911 type trigger pull as you might think.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ok, why would anyone make a subsonic 10mm round? Thats like buying a 300 UltaMag and going subsonic. Might as well get a 300 Whisper. If you want subsonic, go with 40 S&W. Why waste all that powder room? Maybe if you could cram a 300gr bullet in the 10mm it might make some sense but a 180 can be pushed to over 1300 fps?

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I don't think they have (Winchester) has made those for years. More of a photo prop for a collectible box, imho. That more than likely was in the days before the 40 or at its infancy. Maybe EE will elaborate, I don't want to step on any toes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coat4gun
Ok, why would anyone make a subsonic 10mm round? Thats like buying a 300 UltaMag and going subsonic. Might as well get a 300 Whisper. If you want subsonic, go with 40 S&W. Why waste all that powder room? Maybe if you could cram a 300gr bullet in the 10mm it might make some sense but a 180 can be pushed to over 1300 fps?

Law enforcement and home/self defense usage, as the early full-power 10s were reported to be overpowered for control and penetration.

The subsonic stuff works well; hits hard, penetrates plenty for self-defense use, and if you happen to have it as a nightstand gun, it isn't NEARLY as deafening inside, nor would it have the potential to rip through walls as readily as the full house stuff.

The flexibility of the 10 is another great attribute; like it is for the .357. Think of the subsonic stuff as .38s in a .357.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 4ager

Law enforcement and home/self defense usage, as the early full-power 10s were reported to be overpowered for control and penetration.

The subsonic stuff works well; hits hard, penetrates plenty for self-defense use, and if you happen to have it as a nightstand gun, it isn't NEARLY as deafening inside, nor would it have the potential to rip through walls as readily as the full house stuff.

The flexibility of the 10 is another great attribute; like it is for the .357. Think of the subsonic stuff as .38s in a .357.

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I think more towards maximizing penetration with my 10mm since I use it mostly for hunting and big animal defense. I have a standard Witness and it is a great gun although it took some work to get the trigger smoothed out and I added heavier hammer and recoil springs for the heavy ammo like Underwood and Buffalo Bore. It is built like a tank but a bit on the heavy side.... although most 10mms are heavy except for the Glocks.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I think more towards maximizing penetration with my 10mm since I use it mostly for hunting and big animal defense. I have a standard Witness and it is a great gun although it took some work to get the trigger smoothed out and I added heavier hammer and recoil springs for the heavy ammo like Underwood and Buffalo Bore. It is built like a tank but a bit on the heavy side.... although most 10mms are heavy except for the Glocks.

Yep, like using 158 hardcast or controlled expansion loads pushed HARD in a .357 for similar situations, but having milder .357s or even .38s on deck for different needs. The 10 covers a LOT of bases.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The "For Law Enforcement Use Only" label explains all. I think it would have been just the ticket for the MP5/10 back when the FBI was issuing 10mm's.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
The "For Law Enforcement Use Only" label explains all. I think it would have been just the ticket for the MP5/10 back when the FBI was issuing 10mm's.
It was. Viking is right. Those were shot up back in the eighties and reloaded. They were probably shot in a 1006 which the FBI's issue weapon was designed from. The 40 wasn't available, so you went with downloaded 10's. I took that pic about a year ago, IIRC and that was the prettiest ammo box I could find.

For downloaded 10's, I just shoot my 40 now.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a G20 and I really enjoy shooting and carrying it. My only advice would be to consider the cost of an aftermarket barrel into your purchase price, especially if you reload. The factory chamber in mine was hard on brass. With the Lonewolf barrel, I am on the fourth reload on some of my brass. I also busted an extractor, but that was easily replaced with a better one.

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
10 picks up so much velocity between 5 and 6 inches that a 6-inch barrel is imperative, in my mind. You can get a factory Glock 6-in barrel to use with your G20, or just get a G40 in the first place. Plenty of relatively inexpensive, low round count G20s on GB.

The way I see it, the Glock is the only 10mm that makes sense. Sigs are single stack and silly expensive, and you have to go to a custom barrel maker to get a longer barrel. EAA has asterisks all over its reliability history. 1911s can be good, but the good ones are ruhdiculously expensive. Anything else is hard to find. Unfortunately, I can't stand the feel of a G20.

I researched the heck out of 10mm and ended up buying a revolver. Cheaper ammo for plinking and practice, powerful loads for when you need it cost about the same as the least expensive 10mm rounds, great triggers, nicer to carry, prettier to look at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love my witness

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That Witness looks very nice! I have mixed feelings about 10mm. I almost liked my G20, even though the first time I fired it I had a (Double Tap) round blow just above the "rim" and cause some damage to the gun, more to my nerves. That was with a Lone Wolf barrel, and I had no such problems after I switched to a 6" Glock barrel, with heavier recoil spring and stainless rod. Mainly, I feel the 10mm is a round to be careful with. Have to watch for bullet setback in any cartridge, of course, but more especially with 10mm. When things go well, it is definitely great in power and accuracy. I'd like to try another, but will likely go with a 1911 type. The revolver idea sounds good, but I have revolvers chambered for what I feel are better revolver rounds for my use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
10 picks up so much velocity between 5 and 6 inches that a 6-inch barrel is imperative, in my mind.

The way I see it, the Glock is the only 10mm that makes sense. Sigs are single stack and silly expensive, and you have to go to a custom barrel maker to get a longer barrel. EAA has asterisks all over its reliability history. 1911s can be good, but the good ones are ruhdiculously expensive. Anything else is hard to find.

I agree, the Glock has a good track record of standing up to the battering of the higher pressure full loads, the others, not so much, hence the reliability complaints from those who purchased the pistols with the intent of running full power loads as a matter of routine. If for hunting, maximizing this with a longer barrel makes good sense, in more ways than just velocity.

If mostly plinking, shooting the lower pressure loads, with high pressure full loads being the exception, not the rule, all the pistols noted could be reliable and a good choice. However, I still believe EAA issues a warning from the engineers of that pistol to avoid top end loads, such as +P in the 45 and high velocity loads in the 10, so this may put into question any use of top end hunting loads in that platform.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had this one built awhile back; my old armorer buddy from AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) days did the work. Longer barrel is the way to go.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RGK
Had this one built awhile back; my old armorer buddy from AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) days did the work. Longer barrel is the way to go.
Bob

Nice looking gun. What is the build?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
4ager is quite correct in that the flexibility of the 10 is another of it's great attributes. Mine, a 1006 Smith, handles mid range/sub sonic loads just as reliably as it does the full power stuff. Even shoots them in almost the same group at 25 yds.
Another thing that can come as a surprise is how powerful it is with nothing like the blast and recoil of a similar size .357 Revolver. Doesn't have the clylinder gap of a revolver and uses alot less powder than a full power .357 load. On top of that, I never seen a .357 that would put .38 Special, even the +P loads, into anything like the zero for a full power .357 load.
I've also noted that with 200 gr. wide flat point cast bullets doing about 1050 or a bit more, it out penetrates my .44 Magnum shooting full power 240 gr. XTP bullets. Lots of good things can be had from a 10mm. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only add on I employed on the witness.

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

Pleasure to shoot

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7978473/Food_for_Thought#Post7978473

And if you do go 10mm, Bob's advice regarding barrel length is solid.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
^^Like this! How do you like the subsonic performance?

It's shockingly similar to the 40 S&W.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 975 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.