Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
antelope sniper,

Serious question, not trying to start a fight;

Why do you come onto other people's threads about their faith and ridicule those beliefs?

Ed

I hear crickets...

Ed

I withdrew my earlier post, thanks for noticing.

In addition, this is a public forum. The only person who owns anything on it is Rick.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks for overtaking and ruining a great thread, again. You just can't help taking a shlt on any thread dealing with religion or afterlife can you?

How,

By taking you out of your comfort zone and making you think?

Lolol...,yeah 'cause that's what you did. You give yourself too much credit, far, far too much credit.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for overtaking and ruining a great thread, again. You just can't help taking a shlt on any thread dealing with religion or afterlife can you?

How,

That, is the ultimate condescension, right there. That implies that "believers" are not thinkers, that they have not delved deeply into the subject matter already without you and are incapable of reaching the same conclusion you have.

You keep berating and jumping into matters that only serve to drive others away. You are not "enlightening" anyone on the subject of faith, you are only acting in a selfish, arrogant manner.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by toad
I'd say, if you don't want to discuss your faith, don't post about it on an outdoors forum where there are different opinions on the subject...

Does that mean that if you are not ready to argue incessantly you should keep your mouth shut and never discuss anything in public?

I'd say that was coercion. That ideology is meant to deter people you may disagree with from having a conversation with like-minded people. If you don't agree, STFU and move on.

Antelope Sniper and a couple of others, such as yourself, don't like the subject, so you try to make it as uncomfortable as possible for people to have a discussion.

THAT, is juvenile. Childish, not child-like.

If you really don't like the subject, ignore the post or put the poster on "ignore", that way you won;t be tortured with another person's epistemology.

No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read the posts. You have no valid point.

Ed

and why don't you put 'Sniper on 'Ignore' instead of whining?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
antelope sniper,
Serious question, not trying to start a fight;
Why do you come onto other people's threads about their faith and ridicule those beliefs? Ed
I hear crickets...Ed
I withdrew my earlier post, thanks for noticing. In addition, this is a public forum. The only person who owns anything on it is Rick.

I did see just the period remaining where your earlier post was and did not know it was you that had removed it. As far as I knew, Rick had edited it.

As to this being a public forum, just because you CAN jump in and continue to denigrate other people's beliefs, does NOT mean that you should.

Juvenile, arrogant, self-centered behavior is not acceptable, irrespective of the medium.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'd say, if you don't want to discuss your faith, don't post about it on an outdoors forum where there are different opinions on the subject...

Does that mean that if you are not ready to argue incessantly you should keep your mouth shut and never discuss anything in public?

I'd say that was coercion. That ideology is meant to deter people you may disagree with from having a conversation with like-minded people. If you don't agree, STFU and move on.

Antelope Sniper and a couple of others, such as yourself, don't like the subject, so you try to make it as uncomfortable as possible for people to have a discussion.

THAT, is juvenile. Childish, not child-like.

If you really don't like the subject, ignore the post or put the poster on "ignore", that way you won;t be tortured with another person's epistemology.

No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read the posts. You have no valid point.

Ed

Actually Ed, you are wrong.

I enjoy the subject, I just have a different perspective then you. I find it interesting that you seen to think freedom of expression on this subject only belongs to the believers, and that you should have some right to exclude those who see the world differently.

If you really have the facts on your side I wouldn't expect you to mind a little debate. If on the other hand, if all you have is faith despite evidence to the contrary, you might not like it when presented with the contrary evidence. But if you actually care about the truth, why would you abject to evidence?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...and why don't you put 'Sniper on 'Ignore' instead of whining?

Because someone disagrees with your behavior does not mean that they are 'whining".

This isn't whining, this is pointing out unacceptable behavior.

As to putting Antelope Sniper on "ignore", I have too much respect for his opinions. It's his delivery on this subject that I find completely unacceptable.

He has a great deal of knowledge and I would love to sit down and share a meal and talk about a number of subjects, including faith.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AS--I've enjoyed your perspective on many threads but not EVERY thread. It is a "public" forum and you should be allowed your opinion but you should also allow others to have their own as well. The Doc prefaced this in the OP and its been brought to your attention again.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Actually Ed, you are wrong.

I enjoy the subject, I just have a different perspective then you. I find it interesting that you seen to think freedom of expression on this subject only belongs to the believers, and that you should have some right to exclude those who see the world differently.

Nope, I think Rick's idea of a site that validates and supports the First Amendment should remain open to any and ALL ideas and points of view. It's the way you continue to come across with your epistemology that I find objectionable.

If you really have the facts on your side I wouldn't expect you to mind a little debate. If on the other hand, if all you have is faith despite evidence to the contrary, you might not like it when presented with the contrary evidence. But if you actually care about the truth, why would you abject to evidence?

I do not have all of the facts, no one does. The matter of debating is a wonderful thing. If we didn't think through the issues we encounter in life, we wouldn't last long. People have very different ideas of things because of their life experiences and their upbringing and I am always questioning and trying to learn everything I can.

The issue here is what are described as physical, psychological, and sociological "facts" cannot be compared to "faith". It's like comparing apples and granite.

I cannot brow-beat you into accepting Christ as the risen Son of God any more than you can brow-beat anyone here into denying their faith.

Which brings me back to my question; Why do you do keep doing this?

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/24/16. Reason: corrected pisspoor typing

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

An intelligent person might want to know that, yes. A religious person might attribute it to God, based on faith in their doctrine...

None of this really matters much to me other than as an interesting debate; folks believe what they believe and that's fine by me. Where it does really matter to me is when the practicers of religion try to bring it into the public policy realm. That chaps my ass.

In case you didn't notice this country was founded on Christian principals. Read some US history in a book before the revisionists change the facts. It has deteriorated to what we see to day.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Jeff_O,

An intelligent person might want to know that, yes. A religious person might attribute it to God, based on faith in their doctrine...

None of this really matters much to me other than as an interesting debate; folks believe what they believe and that's fine by me. Where it does really matter to me is when the practicers of religion try to bring it into the public policy realm. That chaps my ass.

In case you didn't notice this country was founded on Christian principals. Read some US history in a book before the revisionists change the facts. It has deteriorated to what we see to day.

See, the Union winning wasn't such a good thing, was it?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

How,

That, is the ultimate condescension, right there. That implies that "believers" are not thinkers, that they have not delved deeply into the subject matter already without you and are incapable of reaching the same conclusion you have.

You keep berating and jumping into matters that only serve to drive others away. You are not "enlightening" anyone on the subject of faith, you are only acting in a selfish, arrogant manner.

Ed

Ed, that post was directed to Ace in the context of his earlier post where he declared:
"My faith coupled with my experiences aren't up for debate. I'm glad I have the faith that I do. I wish everyone had it."

So, yes, I was calling him out on his previous statement that he didn't want to apply logic or reason to his faith, nor seek the truth, but just believe what he wanted to believe, because he wanted to believe.

In contrast I've always considered you a pretty thoughtful guy, and not necessarily one who would consider that a shoe he could wear.

Besides, as Christians go, I tend to see you in the mold of Scott and Rost. Mistaken on the facts, but critical enough you are not hurting anyone in the process.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Or when people attempt to use their religion as an excuse to attempt to control others.

The Humanist religion is not trying to control others, it is. Just this week I heard on the news Bibles are being kicked out of libraries in this country! What happened to tolerance? O yea. Everything is tolerated except anything to do with the God of the Bible.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Jeff_O,

I came from a place of beauty, and someday, I get to return to it! That's a scientific fact, no God required, yet it's a profoundly calming viewpoint, if understood and accepted.

Scentific fact is established by observation, testing, verification, repeatablity. What you have posted is a self serving ignorant opinion. I use the work ignorant because you have not died and come back to tell us a TRUE observation.

antelope_sniper,

Let's deal with the core of Christianity for a moment.

God created the entire Universe, billions of Galaxies, each with billions of starts, so he could have a relationship with one primate species on one spec of dirt. Keep in mind for centuries this narcissism extended to a belief that the earth was the center of the universe. God has the entire Universe to tend to, yet Christians believe God cares about with whom you sleep with, an in what positions, and if you paid the right priest for the right appropriations ahead of time.

This shows your lack of education of the Christian faith. You listen to or read only those who agree with your position. The reason the universe appears to be infinite to us finites is for the God of the Bible to show us His Infinite Intelligent Energy is beyond mere mortal's concept. God's Word tells us He spans the stars with His right hand.

You want us to believe everything came from nothing which became something, all by itself. And this nothing which became something produced conscienceness in humans who somehow randomly believe in morality and beauty. You are constantly willfully ignorant of the basic scientific concept of an effect can not be equal to or greater than its cause.

Before you can use the Bible as evidence you must establish it's credibility, which you have failed to do, so there is no reason to believe your above assertion.

As for you erroneous understanding of cause and effect, I've already explained this to you in detail. You should really look up "butterfly effect", and "snowball effect".

THis is getting to be like the folks that come to the LR forum and scream you can't shoot that far because I can't shoot that far.

Fine, shoot short, and play your game but leave the rest of us alone. You are not doing any good trying to convince us that we don't know how to shoot. LOL

Poor analogy there, Jeff...

We could set up a meeting (such as the Icebreaker) with you, me and anyone else who wants to attend and agree to some set definitions for proving who can 'shoot far'.

Caliber restrictions, rests allowed, scope specs, sighters, distances, et al. We could then in front of witnesses 'prove' scientifically who can or can't meet the criteria set forth.

To try to place metaphysical religious topics in the same plane of 'truth' or 'knowing' is absurd.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jeff_O,

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli [June 10, 1797]: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope_sniper,

Or when people attempt to use their religion as an excuse to attempt to control others.

The Humanist religion is not trying to control others, it is. Just this week I heard on the news Bibles are being kicked out of libraries in this country! What happened to tolerance? O yea. Everything is tolerated except anything to do with the God of the Bible.

Technically Humanism is not a religion because it does not include a belief in the a deity figure not afterlife. As for the Bible being removed from libraries, if you had actually read the article carefully, in some instances it was removed from Elementary School libraries, and there is much in the Bible that is not appropriate for that audience.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
antelope_sniper,

Technically Humanism is not a religion because it does not include a belief in the a deity figure not afterlife. As for the Bible being removed from libraries, if you had actually read the article carefully, in some instances it was removed from Elementary School libraries, and there is much in the Bible that is not appropriate for that audience.

Yeah it's amazing so many of us survived Sunday school. Ohh the horror...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it interesting that those who complain about dissent on religious threads are always those with the least to offer in terms of cogent arguments. Plainly apparent on this thread and every other 'religious' topic on the fire.

This who wish to commune in an echo chamber may either start a group PM or, perhaps, start their own website with totalitarian control over who posts and what.

I will say I like Doc R and most of his posts. When I made some points in the original timeline of this thread he admitted he didn't have all the answers. He also admitted the problems pointed out in the article I posted on Ebeneezer's book (while that link was met with thunderous silence from the peanut gallery).

Having said that, with all due respect to the Doc I thnk his choice of thread title was Bullschit. He didn't ask, "is hell real?' He stated it was and then referenced what is inescapable in Christian theology--namely, that those who don't ascribe to the beliefs of the Christian theology will be tortured forever in said Hell.

If hell were just a 'neutral' topic like, say, 'is the .270 gay?', laugh then it would be a harmless, and lighthearted, discussion. But, alas, telling me or any one else that it's Yahweh or the Highway (to hell) begs for some response.

As has been said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and one constant point of NDE is that there is NO constants. So several anecdotes that happen to support your presuppositions do not truth make.

At least Antlers tries to make serious arguments for his position and Rich, kooky as he can be (still love ya buddy!) laugh is consistent in his biblical literalism. (Btw, speaking of archaeology Rich, research Jericho--dating proved that it would've been a pile of rubble by the time Josh got there, according to the bible timeline).

All that to say that Sniper, myself and anyone who wishes to, can and will continue to hold your religious feet to the skeptical fire. After all, you are commanded to be 'ready to give an answer' ... smile

Next up...perhaps a new thread on people I call 'practical atheists'. Folks who are basically moral, honest people but who really don't behave like Jesus or follow his commands.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Talk about "faith despite evidence to the contrary," you could be the poster child. You constantly reject the tenants of science to hold to your unscientific views. Nothing could represent blind faith more than you.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good for you champ.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 74 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.