Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It was the only non-racist color I could come up with on the fly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Technically Humanism is not a religion because it does not include a belief in the a deity figure not afterlife. As for the Bible being removed from libraries, if you had actually read the article carefully, in some instances it was removed from Elementary School libraries, and there is much in the Bible that is not appropriate for that audience.

Yeah it's amazing so many of us survived Sunday school. Ohh the horror...

Did they teach you the parts about child sacrifice?

Genocide?
Self mutilation?
Genital mutitlation?
Corpse mutilation?
Nailing dudes head to the floor?
Stabbing a Lardass so schit came out?
Incest with father?
Incest with father-in-law?
Polygamy?
Giant demon/human hybrid offspring?
Whores?
Drunkeness?
Cutting up mistresses into 12 parts and Fedex-ing them hither and yon?
Death by rape?
Bear maulings?
Hewing kings to pieces?
Impaling on stakes?
Insanity manifested as wild animal behavior?
Coitus interruptus?
Adultery?
Illegitimate children?
Abandoned children?
Wholesale,slaughter of animals?
Plagues?
Fiery furnaces?
Animal torture?
Astronomical terrors?
Zombies?

And don't forget a book dedicate to boobs and entering your lover's 'garden'! (The original BTE!) laugh

And many, many more....or did you just learn about the talking donkey???

I'll tell you this, the collection of translations known as the Bible may not be any good for metaphysical truth but it's a goldmine of psychological insight into early, male, Semitic thought! grin

I'm telling ya, that schit would SELL!! Imagine making a 'true to the book' adaptation mini-series from the pages of the Bible. It would make Game of Thrones look like Mr. Rogers!

Hmm, maybe I should start working on a screenplay for HBO..... wink smile cool

This post almost made reading this thread worthwhile. LMFAO

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by NH K9

I enjoy reading these " discussions" right up to the point of condescension. Unfortunately, each "side" wants to point that finger. Does AS reach that point.......absolutely.

I have never seen people spend so much time and effort trying to get others to believe in absolute nothingness.

Hope they don't try cutting off my Johnson..

[Linked Image]

No kidding, I can see trying to prove something exists that you believe in, but if you believe in nothing, then whats the point of trying to prove nothing?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Trying to PROVE that something exists because you believe it to be so is some funny sheit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why green? smile

Because Star Trek dude.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

AS, that's exactly what I mean-Wikipedia? a secular or even worse source to answer questions on Biblical inerrancy? That's what I mean about not knowing what you don't know and, again, not meaning that disrespectfully.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but persisting in it and basing a belief system on it without further study is, as we say, the definition of insanity.

If I knew you were sincerely searching for answers, for truth, I'd spend all the time with you per PMs or cell phones that it would take to answer your questions or try to and send you to legitimate sources for the same. But I won't parry here on the internet arguing with someone who intransigent in their ignorance. If you'd study the issue intensively, knew the facts and then reject it I would accept that.

Mojo-, about those who don't offer an argument for the faith- What do you want here on the internet? Their are volumes written on the apologetic (an explanation or defense of) of the Christian faith- more confirming science, archealogy, philosophy, etc than you could cram into a four year seminary program. And the same thing applies as the response to AS-most folks like you use circular reasoning without recognizing it or studying the issue, meaning you start out with what you want to believe and end at the same point filling in the middle with feelings, experiences, or what you read, etc., that agrees with your point of view.

But if you are seriously interested PM me.

Regardless, I hope you all have a good week.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks for overtaking and ruining a great thread, again. You just can't help taking a shlt on any thread dealing with religion or afterlife can you?

How,
By taking you out of your comfort zone and making you think?

That, is the ultimate condescension, right there. That implies that "believers" are not thinkers, that they have not delved deeply into the subject matter already without you and are incapable of reaching the same conclusion you have.

You keep berating and jumping into matters that only serve to drive others away. You are not "enlightening" anyone on the subject of faith, you are only acting in a selfish, arrogant manner.

Ed

Sigh, I know better, but ............

Ed, my Brother, I'm quoting, but please don't take offense as I'm not directing the response towards you, just a point within. Understand that I'm speaking from the position of a Christian (though "only" a Catholic so I don't qualify as such with some of the "Christian Experts") who is DONE with organized religion due, in great part, to folks baring a striking philosophical resemblance to some posters.

I enjoy reading these " discussions" right up to the point of condescension. Unfortunately, each "side" wants to point that finger. Does AS reach that point.......absolutely. Generally, though, it's after the "ignorant unbeliever" schit gets dropped.

I know what I believe but, conversely, I am a facts/logic type. I've reconciled my beliefs with the fact that the Bible is mans' translation. What do I KNOW about the afterlife? Jackshit, and I'm fine with that. I'll live my life according to my moral compass regardless of whether my beliefs are right or wrong. "Super-Christians" preaching known "facts" to the ignorant......that's where I get off the theological bus.

George

Thanks George.

Ken Howell lead several theological threads where I didn't feel a need to comment, but they were usually more of the intrinsically of theology between Christians, and less of the Pascals Wager, non-believers are going to hell, type of threads. But Ken was a very skilled theologian.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, he was very skilled and knowledgeable.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

AS, that's exactly what I mean-Wikipedia? a secular or even worse source to answer questions on Biblical inerrancy? That's what I mean about not knowing what you don't know and, again, not meaning that disrespectfully.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but persisting in it and basing a belief system on it without further study is, as we say, the definition of insanity.

If I knew you were sincerely searching for answers, for truth, I'd spend all the time with you per PMs or cell phones that it would take to answer your questions or try to and send you to legitimate sources for the same. But I won't parry here on the internet arguing with someone who intransigent in their ignorance. If you'd study the issue intensively, knew the facts and then reject it I would accept that.

Mojo-, about those who don't offer an argument for the faith- What do you want here on the internet? Their are volumes written on the apologetic (an explanation or defense of) of the Christian faith- more confirming science, archealogy, philosophy, etc than you could cram into a four year seminary program. And the same thing applies as the response to AS-most folks like you use circular reasoning without recognizing it or studying the issue, meaning you start out with what you want to believe and end at the same point filling in the middle with feelings, experiences, or what you read, etc., that agrees with your point of view.

But if you are seriously interested PM me.

Regardless, I hope you all have a good week.

George, of course I would start with secular, scientific sources to corroborate the factual claims within a religious text. in this instance I used Wikipedia because it's well footnotes and written at an easy to read level. Anyone who wants to read the original sources, can. It also demonstrates the low level of knowledge of some of those who claim to know the idea's I put forth are wrong, yet their familiarity with the subject isn't even up to what's in Wikipedia, let alone any real understanding of the subject.

Using the Bible to prove the Bible is what you accuse me of, circular reasoning. Neither of the well know biblical stories of Moses nor Joshua are collaborated by archaeology. Other archaeological and historical claims fail as well, sufficient to dispute the idea of an inerrant bible.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
MojoHand,

Did they teach you the parts about child sacrifice?

Genocide?
Self mutilation?
Genital mutitlation?
Corpse mutilation?
Nailing dudes head to the floor?
Stabbing a Lardass so schit came out?
Incest with father?
Incest with father-in-law?
Polygamy?
Giant demon/human hybrid offspring?
Whores?
Drunkeness?
Cutting up mistresses into 12 parts and Fedex-ing them hither and yon?
Death by rape?
Bear maulings?
Hewing kings to pieces?
Impaling on stakes?
Insanity manifested as wild animal behavior?
Coitus interruptus?
Adultery?
Illegitimate children?
Abandoned children?
Wholesale,slaughter of animals?
Plagues?
Fiery furnaces?
Animal torture?
Astronomical terrors?
Zombies?

And don't forget a book dedicate to boobs and entering your lover's 'garden'! (The original BTE!) laugh

And many, many more....or did you just learn about the talking donkey???

I'll tell you this, the collection of translations known as the Bible may not be any good for metaphysical truth but it's a goldmine of psychological insight into early, male, Semitic thought! grin

I'm telling ya, that schit would SELL!! Imagine making a 'true to the book' adaptation mini-series from the pages of the Bible. It would make Game of Thrones look like Mr. Rogers!

Hmm, maybe I should start working on a screenplay for HBO..... wink smile cool

You seem to think you are so cleaver. When I was a Sunday School teacher if there was something in the Bible I brought it to the kids. In a town of 1,000 population my high school Sunday school class started with 9 kids. They seem to love all the stuff in the Bible. They never heard most of it before. Within a year or so the class grew to 24 kids.

You seem to think I read stuff or watch stuff to prove myself correct. I don't. I do it for my fun. At times I use what I recall on these forum or in conversation. I used to read the Bible and archaeology stuff on purpose and subscribed to some magazines. As my education grew I discovered most of them were like some here. Despite claiming to be Christian they believed in a weak god made in their own image. They believed men wrote the Bible or at least distorted the Bible. After all they were men. I am convinced God is Infinite. Thus He can have men write out His Word as accurately as this computer writes out what I want it to say on my post. Being a retard compared to the original created man by God I make plenty of mistakes.

What I get a kick out of is stuff like when Dr. Kindell debated a guy who was very antagonistic to God's Word and though he was so educated and advanced. At one point he emphatically stated something to the effect, "The trial of Jesus was all a myth. After all, no one has ever uncovered any large pavement where Jesus' trial supposedly took place." The very next year the pavement was uncovered in Jerusalem. As the diggers continued to did they came to a wall and uncovered the wall. To my delight the name Pilot was engraved in the wall above the pavement.

The Hittites were known only in the Bible. Now every archaeology student knows about them.

Mitochondrial DNA shows there are three lines. The Bible tells us there were three baring women after Noah's Flood.

I read stuff and listen to stuff because it's fun not to prove my beliefs correct or someone else's wrong. But sometimes it does happen.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A common core "religious" belief, so core that that it's often hard for folks to even SEE it in themselves, is that they are this special little being with someone watching over them and the world is revolving around THEM.

What "common core religious belief" are you exposed to..."so core"...that those practitioners of it feel as if "the world is revolving around THEM"...?

God created the entire Universe, billions of Galaxies, each with billions of starts, so he could have a relationship with one primate species on one spec of dirt...
The core belief Jeff speaks of is the narcissist belief that you are so special, the creator of all this, that looks just like you, somehow wants or needs a personal relationship with YOU.

Why do you, or Jeff_O, create any of the things that you two have created...ya'll's children, for example...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did not say it was the root of all evil, just demonstrated one common failing of that mode of thinking.

How many billions of people on our earth maintain a notion of an immortal soul, and what percentage of those billions are 'blowing up a buncha people who think differently than them so they can be rewarded in an afterlife'...and then show us how you've "demonstrated" that doing so is a "common failing of that mode of thinking"...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

You start with the idea the Bible is wrong and stop when you find something on the web you agree with. You apparently didn't read to the last paragraph of Mojohand's cut and paste.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sigh, I know better, but ............

Ed, my Brother, I'm quoting, but please don't take offense as I'm not directing the response towards you, just a point within. Understand that I'm speaking from the position of a Christian (though "only" a Catholic so I don't qualify as such with some of the "Christian Experts") who is DONE with organized religion due, in great part, to folks baring a striking philosophical resemblance to some posters.

I enjoy reading these " discussions" right up to the point of condescension. Unfortunately, each "side" wants to point that finger. Does AS reach that point.......absolutely. Generally, though, it's after the "ignorant unbeliever" schit gets dropped.

I know what I believe but, conversely, I am a facts/logic type. I've reconciled my beliefs with the fact that the Bible is mans' translation. What do I KNOW about the afterlife? Jackshit, and I'm fine with that. I'll live my life according to my moral compass regardless of whether my beliefs are right or wrong. "Super-Christians" preaching known "facts" to the ignorant......that's where I get off the theological bus.

George

You and I are at the exact same point with the distinction that I've never been a Catholic. I HAVE been to a Mass. Does that count? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No AS, you are incorrect in that also. And I'm finished here with other things to do at the moment but answer me this if you will: why do you persist? I'm not questioning you freedom to reject all of this so why come back and to what purpose?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

You start with the idea the Bible is wrong and stop when you find something on the web you agree with. You apparently didn't read to the last paragraph of Mojohand's cut and paste.

Except I'm aware of the additional difficulties introduced with attempting to move the timeline a full millennium. It just doesn't work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Originally Posted By Ringman
antelope_sniper,

Except I'm aware of the additional difficulties introduced with attempting to move the timeline a full millennium. It just doesn't work.

You mean you don't want it to work!

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
I did not say it was the root of all evil, just demonstrated one common failing of that mode of thinking.

How many billions of people on our earth maintain a notion of an immortal soul, and what percentage of those billions are 'blowing up a buncha people who think differently than them so they can be rewarded in an afterlife'...and then show us how you've "demonstrated" that doing so is a "common failing of that mode of thinking"...?

450 of 452 suicide bombers in 2015 were Muslim.

Suicide bombing is a faith based initiative.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I feel like I'm at the zoo watching the monkeys and somebody gave them a bag of hammers and screwdrivers.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
There is a 50/50 chance there is or is not a God. I prefer the safe bet.

Even if your 50/50 proposition was correct (which I don't think it is), Then you also have to get the right god.....So now your odds are way below 50%

He's a white, American Christian...of course he has the 'right god', dontcha know? laugh wink

Hmm how interesting , how do you know I am white or an American Christian? You know chitt. Do Blacks or any other nonwhites if they are a member of the Christian community not have the same god ? Are you really this stupid? It boils down to 50/50 odds you are right or wrong .

Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.