Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
A guy comes into your place of business and explains his vehicle is out of gas and needs repairs for him continue his move across Country. He pulls out a very nice Vintage Krag that is in excellent shape.

He then asks if you are willing to hold it for thirty days against a loan of $300 dollars so he can repair his vehicle and finish his trip. He makes the promise "I will be back before 30 days is up" so you loan him the funds.

Thirty days go by and you are admiring and showing your new Firearm to close friends and Family. On the Fortieth day, 10 days late, the guy shows up and claims he got held up due to circumstances beyond his control but he has the money and would like the Gun back.

He goes on to explain how priceless it is to him because it was the very Firearm his Great Grandfather used while in Cuba fighting the Spanish American War. The Firearm is indeed period correct so he is more than likely telling the truth.

What would you do?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/30/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Being a little bit late is like being a little bit pregnant. Id charge him the going rate.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At first I thought I would give it back, then I typed it out, then I erased it. I don't know what I would do...good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if you keep it, will you feel good about it?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Being a little bit late is like being a little bit pregnant. Id charge him the going rate.

That sounds fair.....

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no doubt, give it back. Wouldn't even think twice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Charge him $100 interest and give him some complimentary Aloe Vera.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i would give it back.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd return the rifle in exchange for the $300, but I would certainly mention that he was late on the agreement. If it's evident that it's a family heirloom I'm not keeping it. I've got some blacksmith tools that belonged to one of my great-grandfathers, my grandfathers shotgun, a Colt pistol from the Civil War, etc. and would be sad if I had to let them go.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
First...and very first thing...on the day I took possession of it...I would ask the police to run a stolen item search on it.

But thats just me.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have let karma guide a lot of my dealings for the majority of my adult life and have usually not been disappointed.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was in the gun biz, and we even pawned guns for years, trust me when I tell you they all come up with a lame assed excuse for being late with a pawn, or even a layaway payment.
Given the tiniest excuse, they will play you like a harmonica.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give him the benefit of the doubt along with the rifle. Treat him as I would like to be treated were I held up due to circumstances beyond my control.

If he offers to kick in another 10 or 20 bucks because he's late, accept it with a gracious thank you, if not then just hand him the rifle back and wish him good luck.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was in the gun biz, and we even pawned guns for years, trust me when I tell you they all come up with a lame assed excuse for being late with a pawn, or even a layaway payment.
Given the tiniest excuse, they will play you like a harmonica.

And in a way I get that. But OTOH this was not planned, the OP is not a pawn shop????

And as such, give me the cash, I"ll mention you are late, and if you give me another 20 or whatever fine, if not no biggy.

Being in the business, its all business. I don't think this was the case.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff...I understand your point....but it all hinges on the guy actually telling the truth...which I don't think is the case.
If it was truly that important to him, he would have been on time. And failing that he should have been ashamed to show up ten days late looking for sympathy.

I wish I still had your ( and many other members here...) faith in humanity, but Ive been lied to and cheated so many times that no one gets a pass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

That sounds fair.....

No doubt the fair and right thing.

Remember, you are the one that did him a favor. Now, by returning the rifle, it's two favors. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have let karma guide a lot of my dealings for the majority of my adult life and have usually not been disappointed.

This.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rost495

This

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Without a doubt. 10 days ain't schit.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christian faith and values tell me the right thing to do is let him pay the $300.00 give him the gun back, and sleep well at night. This wasn't a deal done at a pawnshop, it was a gentleman's handshake agreement. In the end, I've got to live with my self. I doubt either party woke up that morning planning on doing a deal for a Krag.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.