Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Give him the benefit of the doubt along with the rifle. Treat him as I would like to be treated...

Yep.
Doin' the right thing ain't always easy, but it's always right.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have to see the guy and determine whether I thought he was being truthful.

I wouldn't keep the gun, but I might certainly tell him the price went up $40 for late fees.

did similar with a kinda family member, took him a long time to get the cash to buy his Sako back.

but let him have it back at what I'd given him against it.

and if it was biz, the guy could have damned well called on day 30 unless he was in the pokey

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
There's only one thing to do....the right thing. Look yourself in the mirror and that guy will tell you what's right.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd tell him to go buy me a 1/2 gallon of FAMOUS GROUSE....come back and sit down and we'll have a shot or two....and give him the $$$$ back!

Simple!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mebbe tell him since he was late you sent to the 'smith for rechambering to a .300 Blackout and new tactical stock?

Then I'd give it back, take the $300 and move on.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good to see all the "do the right thing" replies here. smile The question was Hypothetical curiosity based on a real event from my past.

Because this choice was indeed a turning point in my life when it happened 35 years ago at the age of 19. Whether he was honest or not didn't matter. All I could think of was "What if it was my Great Grandfather's Rifle?" and he was indeed being sincere and honest about it.

I did give him the benefit of the doubt and gave it back to him. I would like to believe that this action may have helped towards some of the extremely good fortune I have had in life since. Good to see those who would do the right thing, not just for the guy wanting it back, But for themselves.

Would I do it again today? or tomorrow? Absolutely smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Man! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good Man! smile

I see a whole bunch of guys on here that deserve that more than I do!

Know what would be cool? If one of the longtime respected Members here on the Fire popped up and said "Hey! that was me!".

I would feel even better smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't loan strangers money.
If he wanted to sell it, fine.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm w/ Ingwe. If you are willing to put up a family heirloom as collateral your motivation should be greater than the value of the object. If it is truly of importance you would not take advantage of the person extending you the credit.

Phug a bunch of losers w/ sob stories, let them feel the bern.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by ingwe
Being a little bit late is like being a little bit pregnant. Id charge him the going rate.

That sounds fair.....

It's a business transactions.

The purpose of collateral is to insure you are repaid. In this instance you are being repaid, so it that regard in served it's purpose. If he's returning it late, you should be happy, after all, you are earning an extra 10 days worth of interest without any additional labor, and earn some good will in the process.

It's just good business.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Jeff...I understand your point....but it all hinges on the guy actually telling the truth...which I don't think is the case.
If it was truly that important to him, he would have been on time. And failing that he should have been ashamed to show up ten days late looking for sympathy.

I wish I still had your ( and many other members here...) faith in humanity, but Ive been lied to and cheated so many times that no one gets a pass.

Don't worry when I get as old as you are wink I'll be there.... I'm getting there fast.

But the above would have to be walk a mile in my shoes. I didn't take it this was a pawn shop, just a repair shop or gas station of the old days, and we were all more honest in days gone by I think. I happen to know a bit more about the story than y'all do. LOL.

Of course I'm country and prefer it that way, and as such I'm a bit... maybe a lot, more naieve. The fact he came back for it speaks worlds to me...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i would give it back.

Yep. Me too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
First...and very first thing...on the day I took possession of it...I would ask the police to run a stolen item search on it.

But thats just me.

And if it comes up hot, you done lost your $300.00 and the gun. Keep the cops out of it.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
It seems like if he was genuinely concerned about a family heirloom, he would have attempted to contact you when he knew he was going to be late. Either way you didn't lose anything that was yours and your conscience is clear. Win-win.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Give it back. No question.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two problems-

Phone calls are free. Why didn't he call and inform you he was going to be late? Poor upbringing or decision making.

Second, since he obviously has not been taught that his word is his responsibility to protect, I would teach him that lesson. He gave his word and failed. You have no responsibility to enable him to continue in his poor decision making.

Hold his feet to the fire since his parents never did, apparently.

Throw the Krag in the river for all I care, but hold him to his word one way or another.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
how do you know he had his #, and if he was in the process of moving he could of run into some problems, how far did he have to travel to get back, might of started a new job and couldn't get away when he thought he could.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
What would you do?

I'd ask him his position on management of public lands by the USFS and BLM. If he said public lands should be transferred to the states, I'd keep the rifle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
he could show up a yr later i'd still give it back to him, i didn't buy it, just took it for collateral, as long as i got my money back he'd get the gun back.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (16gage, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.