-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then do not mention it. It is just old Uncle Arthur rearing his ugly head. Doc started me on a new med that should kick in in a couple more days. Can't take Aleve or Advil with it but if it works the hell with it.

Meanwhile I plug along at the Sheriff's Office And St Vincent's society. Ain't tied to a wheel chair just yet. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just bought a Beretta Pico this weekend. I also have a Nano.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Trust me my friend, you would not realize that I am the same guy you and A met a few years ago. But life goes on till it stops, nuttin' ya can do about it.

Also passed on the S&W 60 and carry the J frame .32 H&R when toting a revolver. You either adapt or give up, I ain't about to give up!!!!!
Good points.. And I have to admit it's been a couple years since I brought out one of the SRHs.. With my wrists now giving me trouble I wonder if I can even shoot those things w/o pain?

Guess I'll have to find out. If it's just too uncomfortable it might be time to trade 'em off for something lighter.

My wife has much more issues with arthritis than I, and the most she can handle is one of the SP101s in .32 H&R.

But she's OK with the Kahr P-380, so if the ammo's right it might be a better option for a purse-gun..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love my little Colt Mustang pocketlite, anyone got one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61pTas47_g

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pistol Lobo.

At 12:56 Hickok demonstrates the fast combat accuracy that these medium-power single action autos can deliver.
Would be difficult to match that speed with a Chief, LCP, etc.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/03/16.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lobo80
I love my little Colt Mustang pocketlite, anyone got one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61pTas47_g

[Linked Image]
I've got the Sig version of that gun, and it's far easier to shoot than the Ruger LCP. Only problem with it is that it's a bit heavy for a pants pocket gun (for me), and has that thumb safety.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The picture isn't my gun, mine has an ambi safety. I handled the Sig in both .380 and 9mm and I liked the size and feel of the Colt better for me. It shoots like a champ.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The SIG doesn't feel nearly as good as the Colt; the ergos are off. The Kimber, however, nails it in those regards.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
The SIG doesn't feel nearly as good as the Colt; the ergos are off. The Kimber, however, nails it in those regards.

I palmed both before I bought my P938. I thought the Sig felt much better in hand. Mine is the model with the wrap around grip and extended magazine. I have yet to shoot a compact that feels or handles as well. IMO, nothing short about the P238 either.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never owned A Colt Mustang 380, but have heard a lot of guys say the same thing Lobo. They all like that pistol. That pistol looks like it is all steel and I suspect it is. And if you had not said it was a Mustang, I would have thought it was an Officers Model. If you are going to carry something that size and weight, why carry a .380 Mustang when you could just as easy carry an Officers Model in .45 ACP? Well unless you just want a .380 that is or unless I am wrong about the relative sizes of the Mustang and the OM.

But I confess that I have an OM in the safe and a Kahr P .380 in my pocket, but the Kahr appears to be smaller and lighter than the Mustang. But I'll bet you can get a lot better grip on your Mustang than I can on the Kahr. It is really too small if you ask me, especially when shooting +P ammo. It is hard to keep a good grip on it then.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/03/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bob, I carry a 1911 Commander a lot in a Crossbreed IWB. I like the little Mustang because it operates just like the big gun (C&L) I like to carry a BUG sometimes and IMO the Mustang makes a perfect companion gun to it's big brother

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BobWills

Quote Hi-vel
Regarding small rigs and hot ammo--I do not advocate the use of it for carry. I've found in testing some of the hotter stuff in smaller rigs, that on occasions, reliability in slide operation goes out the window, not to mention how hard it is on a rig when frequently used.

I just shot a box of Underwood Extreme Penetrators this afternoon in a little Kahr P-380 and your words are true. It's all I can do to keep that little sucker on target for rapid follow up shots because there isn't much to hold on to. That Underwood stuff is nasty and hard on the little pistol. I also had along a little Kel-Tec P3AT that I've carried since Kel-Tec started making 380's and until I got the Kahr. No telling how many rounds I shot through the P3AT, but they have all been standard stuff, or my reloads which are standard loads. I shot it very well easily making quick follow up shots even though the Kahr pistol is of much higher quality and has better sights and trigger. But load it with dynamite and I can shoot the Kel-Tec better using standard ammo.

Bob,

I'm not surprised by your finding with that small .380 and that hot ammo. Good to learn these things at the range.

Often, the problem with these pipsqueak rigs, is that it's more difficult to obtain suitable expansion, due to their short barrels and subsequent lower velocity of the standard pressure loads--at times resulting in over penetration. I'd guess that this is why some guys just use hardball. I like the Federal Hydra Shok, and the Remington Golden Sabre in the .380 Auto. I've not had the chance to try the Federal HST yet, though in some tests folks have claimed "good expansion", but a lack of suitable penetration. In other cartridges, I've found the HST's I've used to be tops. Also like Gold Dots, but I avoid the factory loadings in smaller rigs due to the harder primers (my opinion only, but each should decide for themselves). Smaller springs, low hammer mass, etc., in pipsqueak rigs make me leary of harder primer cups. While I've not yet had a failure to fire in the smaller rigs, I note in observations that the primers are barely dented...

As mentioned, I avoid hot rounds in these small auto rigs when utilized for carry--and there are a couple of reasons why. Even in full size auto rigs, I generally (but not always), avoid +P rounds, unless occasionally using them in a rig such as the HK USP (which was designed around the .40 S & W cartridge), and a few other rigs that can stand the gaff. If a guy wants more--at times it can be best to use a greater cartridge.

Revolvers can be a different story, provided one is sensible about the loads--as there are none of the slide timing issues/gremlins, etc.

Though perhaps not the best thread for this--and I'm not recommending it--just a mention--an interesting pill that I use at times in the .38 Special and .357 Magnum snub rigs is the .355 88 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow point. I size the brass twice, chamfer, and use no expander. In .357 rigs, I load it with 10 grains WSF, with a good roll crimp. It is a respectable round for a snub revolver kept by the bedside. Less penetration to be sure--about 8-9 inches, and expands to about .58 inches rounded off. Improvements today render this type of thing nearly obsolete (no doubt you remember the old Smith and Wesson 90 grain soft nose factory offering--a little nub of a pill sticking out of the case mouth--if I recall, the "claim" was 1650 fps from a 4 inch barrel)...

Pics of two of these 88 grain Gold Dot rounds fired yesterday:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This has been a good thread.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Oh, and forgot to mention.

Awhile back, RJM posted a surprising reference on the effectiveness of the FMJ round in the .380 auto. I've not seen that reference--I believe it was concerning multiple shootings of victims by a robber whilst plying his trade.

Perhaps he will see this thread and chime in by mentioning this again--it sounded interesting...

the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I saw that I misidentified the weight of that Speer bullet--and it is too late to edit that post--so apologize for any possible confusion.

The older/earlier jacketed hollow point pill by Speer was 88 grains--while the "newer" Gold Dot pill is actually 90 grains, and I failed to correct that specific weight change on the heading of the loads in that page of my loading notebook.

At the time I began trying out these 88 gr Speers, the Gold Dots were not yet available. The newer offering is a massive improvement over the older, ordinary jacketed pills, which fragmented completely when driven at these velocities...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Quote Hi Vel
Revolvers can be a different story, provided one is sensible about the loads--as there are none of the slide timing issues/gremlins, etc.

Though perhaps not the best thread for this--and I'm not recommending it--just a mention--an interesting pill that I use at times in the .38 Special and .357 Magnum snub rigs is the .355 88 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow point. I size the brass twice, chamfer, and use no expander. In .357 rigs, I load it with 10 grains WSF, with a good roll crimp. It is a respectable round for a snub revolver kept by the bedside. Less penetration to be sure--about 8-9 inches, and expands to about .58 inches rounded off. Improvements today render this type of thing nearly obsolete (no doubt you remember the old Smith and Wesson 90 grain soft nose factory offering--a little nub of a pill sticking out of the case mouth--if I recall, the "claim" was 1650 fps from a 4 inch barrel)....

Pics of two of these 88 grain Gold Dot rounds fired yesterday:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is an unusual loading. At least, it is for me. I confess that I don't get the reason for it. The Camp Fire does not seem to have a reloading forum that I can find, but there is one on bullet casting where a lot of reloading talk is done. Maybe we can take it up there? Or not. No biggie either way. But thanks for the pohoto's and write up on a load I had not previously seen.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've often thought the same thing.. There's no forum for reloading handguns.

And this thread, especially, has me curious. I reload for probably 30+ cartridges, but NOT the .380.. Just figured is was too dang small to mess with and, since I don't shoot it a lot, it wasn't worth it getting the dies, brass etc..

Smallest handgun round I reload for is the 9mm..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redneck

I do load for the .380 because I find the small pistols I have for that cartridge to be difficult to maintain an acceptable level of rapid or multiple shot accuracy. So I have to shoot them a lot just to keep up my skill level with them. If you want load/mold info on it, let's go to bullet casting and I'll lay it out for you complete with photos. Lee has a six cavity mold for it that makes throwing a LOT of bullets quick and easy. Use Lee liquid lube and shoot them as cast. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/05/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobWills
Redneck

I do load for the .380 because I find the small pistols I have for that cartridge to be difficult to maintain an acceptable level of rapid or multiple shot accuracy. So I have to shoot them a lot just to keep up my skill level with them. If you want load/mold info on it, let's go to bullet casting and I'll lay it out for you complete with photos. Lee has a six cavity mold for it that makes throwing a LOT of bullets quick and easy. Use Lee liquid lube and shoot them as cast. It doesn't get any easier than that.

All ears; have at it.

Gotta be cheaper than what my wife and daughter and I do to a case of .380 ball...

Might just keep them away from the .25-20 pump, too.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I have a Taurus TCP that I carry on occasion when I can't conceal anything else easily or I'm just running out for a quick errand. Never an issue with it. The trigger is much better than the LCP, Bodyguard or P3AT. It has decent sights and a slide lock and last round hold open.

I carry a TCP at times and my wife has an LCP. Had a Keltec in .32 when the first came out. Your comparison is spot on. I'd choose the Taurus over the Ruger any day. Only negative is the pointy muzzle end of the slide.

Carry options include a Tagua OWB, self-made super-tuck style or Desantis Nemesis in the pocket when hiking without a jacket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I have a Taurus TCP that I carry on occasion when I can't conceal anything else easily or I'm just running out for a quick errand. Never an issue with it. The trigger is much better than the LCP, Bodyguard or P3AT. It has decent sights and a slide lock and last round hold open.

I carry a TCP at times and my wife has an LCP. Had a Keltec in .32 when the first came out. Your comparison is spot on. I'd choose the Taurus over the Ruger any day. Only negative is the pointy muzzle end of the slide.

Carry options include a Tagua OWB, self-made super-tuck style or Desantis Nemesis in the pocket when hiking without a jacket.

Truly a case of YMMV. I loathed the Taurus TCP, and would throw it away to take the KT and likely pay someone to take it to get the LCP.

Hey, as long as it works and y'all carry it/them, it's good to go.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.