-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt jealousy played a part into the voting as much as the fact that some out of state hunters think just because they buy a tag that they can be grade A @$$holes.
I wish they'd double the price of out of state tags......especially for those like Dink.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Over the 26yrs or so of living in Wyoming, I've had the extreme pleasure of meeting and sharing a coffee with many nonresident hunters in the field. Many offered and did help with pulling game out of the field with me. Folks from all over.

That said, I do have an ex-husband, who lives back East out Dink's way, who shares some of DINK's attitude. I have seen the ex and old in-laws hunt my neck of the woods from time to time. I've seen them tear up the roads like maniacs, the 2 tracks winding down mountains, without care or regard for others. It irked the hell out of me. But having been married to that mentality of a man, and knowing their capacity for booze, I wasn't surprised.

Then, one day, as I was coming down a dirt road, after some hunting, sure enough, there was their vehicles parked near a "Hunter Management Area". And there, was a Game Warden, who had just finished dragging a doe out of a farmer's beet field. And there was the bunch of my ex-husband's family standing by the Game Warden, NOT looking too happy. I surmised that someone had shot that doe on private land. If that is what happened, I wouldn't be surprised. Attitude of entitlement eventually gets people in trouble. Time reveals all. Some hunters think they DESERVE a deer or elk, because they paid all that money for a nonresident tag.

Interesting, I did not see the "EX" or his extended "litter" hunting out my way, last year, or the year before.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/15/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK

Tag prices are so high because of I161. Which was voted in by the residence of Montana.

It was voted in because of jealousy. A lot of hunters in Montana are jealous of guys that will dedicate time and money to hunt out of state.

I met several guys in eastern Montana that weren't dedicated enough to drive to central or western Montana to hunt elk.

If game and fish pooped on non-residents by raising tag prices that's one thing but this was voted in.

Dink

Quoted for awesomeness. I have yet to meet a Montanan that is jealous of NR hunters.

I have met quite a few that were tired of outfitters shenanigans, however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been watching this thread and have read most of it, I think. What bothers me the most is the entitlement attitude most western residents have about the federal land. They think that their hunting opportunities should be funded by the rest of the the citizens of the United States. They then try to badmouth people that hunt on private land, especially Texans. OK, let the bad mouthing begin. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
milespatton,

What bothers me the most is the entitlement attitude most western residents have about the federal land. They think that their hunting opportunities should be funded by the rest of the the citizens of the United States.

Interesting. I read the whole thread and didn't see this attitude anywhere. Would you quote post, please?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't reading through this whole mess again. You read it, or not. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DINK,

Once again, you're FOS.

When I was in high school back in 1969, the non-resident combination license was $150. I can't remember anybody complaining back then, and one of my hunting mentors was an outfitter. Many of his clients brought a kid or two.

Guess what? With inflation, $150 in 1969 is just about $1000.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

It was voted in because of jealousy. A lot of hunters in Montana are jealous of guys that will dedicate time and money to hunt out of state.

$600! Man that's a lot of scratch. Surprised all those tags instantly sold out. Thanks for spending all the time and money in MT. Happy to pick up the scraps.

What did it cost you to hunt Arizona total? Or New Mexico?

I know you have a son a little older than mine have you been taking him out of state every year?

You think as much of your son as I do of mine and there is only one reason you ain't taking him hunting all over the west. It's simply to costly.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 05/15/16.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Wyogal
If DINK wanted bad enough to take his boys to Montana to big game hunt, he could have a yard sale or two, or his kids could get summer jobs cutting lawns etc and save up. People make choices, like its been said by others in this thread.
Its based on what their priorities are. So instead of admitting that your priorities didn't include saving for a Montana hunt for your boys, Dink has to throw several kitchen sinks into the discussion.

Awhile back, I had complained that hunting licenses and fees were getting expensive for me in my own state, as now I live on the somewhat fixed income of a senior. I got some excellent feedback on how I view my priorities. If hunting and fly fishing aren't figured into my budget, then it doesn't happen. Got to decide what's necessary and what's important to me. Got to budget for it, or find a way to get the money for it. So I go without some things, and make do with less, and sometimes sell stuff, so I can afford to get creek time with the fly rod, and get in the mountains for some hunting.

Is not that I can't afford to take my kids out west.

A mule deer buck or any animal standing on federal ground should be worth the same amount of money to any American. No matter what state he is from.

I can't buy just a muledeer tag in Montana. I am forced to buy a fishing license, state lands permit, base camp something or another, etc.

It's kinda like buying a new truck and being told you have to buy a compact car too because it's better for you to drive.

Dink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm still pissed how bad Montana gypped me last year!! 1 1/2 days of hunting, hunting ground that anybody can, no trespass fees... Damn place anyhow.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/al...-A5DD-3D8DF04187A0_zpsn7x99ifc.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/al...-A5DD-3D8DF04187A0_zpsn7x99ifc.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Judman; 05/15/16.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I moved out West from the other side of the Mississippi river, back in the mid 80's. I was recently divorced again, and still needed to complete my college education. Culture shock was big, in spite of my great desire to live in the West. It took me a long time to realize, that out West, the common principles of self- sufficiency, common sense, live and let live prevails. Just some observations.

That means simple stuff like don't drive through a flooded stream or pasture or snow bank, or up a bog mud hill unless you must in an emergency and you have the right equipment. You don't go out in 30 below zero weather without the right equipment. If the chain law is in effect, or a road is closed due to a blizzard, you follow the law. You Do Not tresspass private land. Slowly I got some common sense. I still need more, but being from the East, I actually wasn't taught how to survive.
And I didn't have common sense.

Point being, I think sometimes nonresidents misinterpret a big eyed look or comment from Westerners as condescending, when a nonresident is doing or says something truly nonsensical. They don't realize the stupidity of their own actions or words. A Wyomingite usually won't tell you you're gonna get stuck if you try that trail after a heavy soaking rain, because they usually don't meddle in anothers' affairs. But I've seen many residents step up to help someone AFTER they got stuck. Then, a nonresident should expect the big eyed look and accept it.

I didn't see any resident attitude of entitlement when I got here or since. Yes, I've seen pockets of zenaphobia and clannish types. You find that anywhere there's low population and miles of isolation. But live and let live.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
Been watching this thread and have read most of it, I think. What bothers me the most....

What bothers me most is other people thinking I should be concerned about what bothers them most.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love all this non resident BS. A lot of it is sour grapes.

I have hunted on a lot of private land out west, in various states, mostly unguided and free of charge, and of 40+ years. I paid the "outrageous" non resident fees for license, my transportation and miscellaneous hunt costs.

Just to emphasize, I frequently offered to pay for the trespass privilege...mostly I was refused.

i was not the only one hunting in many cases and MOST of the other guests were non residents.I have spoken with many landowners of large blocks,asking why more resident hunters were not allowed to hunt their property. The answers were almost always the same.

The non residents generally tended to be more respectful and appreciative of the privilege, behaved themselves, followed instructions,closed gates, stayed out of limited areas,kept an eye on the security of the place and , if they had hunted the place a lot, knew who was supposed to be tree and who wasn't and kept the landowner informed. Come ground up and shipping, they pitched in and lent a hand.

The residents, OTOH, felt entitled by citizenship to get hunting privileges for nothing,frequently trespassed and generally made a royal PITA of themselves. I have turned some in for trespassing myself. They feel entitled to hunt and frequently "sneak on", shoot something, and do a fast exit if they don't get caught, i.e....they poach.

Anyone who thinks it's all non residents doing this stuff is naive, stupid, or lying to advance an agenda.

The landowners have to take time out from busy schedules to patrol their property during hunting season and that strategy has to be as well planned on a big spread as the actual hunting......"We're out looking for trespassers!!" mad

Hint: It isn't ALWAYS the non residents.

I have seen this crap all the time, listened to the wailing of the Residents who don't get to hunt. Many of them are so rude and offensive, the landowners don't watt them on the property.....at all. Many have reputations and are repeat offenders.

So when I heard all this Non resident BS I LMAO. I pay the non resident fees and bask in the fact that i get more privileges from 2500 miles away than the guy who lives 50 miles from my host.

I say you don't want to pay your non resident fees, too bad, Don't hunt. Your choice. You're entitled to nothing in life. Go earn it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I love all this non resident BS. A lot of it is sour grapes.

I have hunted on a lot of private land out west, in various states, mostly unguided and free of charge, and of 40+ years. I paid the "outrageous" non resident fees for license, my transportation and miscellaneous hunt costs.

Just to emphasize, I frequently offered to pay for the trespass privilege...mostly I was refused.

i was not the only one hunting in many cases and MOST of the other guests were non residents.I have spoken with many landowners of large blocks,asking why more resident hunters were not allowed to hunt their property. The answers were almost always the same.

The non residents generally tended to be more respectful and appreciative of the privilege, behaved themselves, followed instructions,closed gates, stayed out of limited areas,kept an eye on the security of the place and , if they had hunted the place a lot, knew who was supposed to be tree and who wasn't and kept the landowner informed. Come ground up and shipping, they pitched in and lent a hand.

The residents, OTOH, felt entitled by citizenship to get hunting privileges for nothing,frequently trespassed and generally made a royal PITA of themselves. I have turned some in for trespassing myself. They feel entitled to hunt and frequently "sneak on", shoot something, and do a fast exit if they don't get caught, i.e....they poach.

Anyone who thinks it's all non residents doing this stuff is naive, stupid, or lying to advance an agenda.

The landowners have to take time out from busy schedules to patrol their property during hunting season and that strategy has to be as well planned on a big spread as the actual hunting......"We're out looking for trespassers!!" mad

Hint: It isn't ALWAYS the non residents.

I have seen this crap all the time, listened to the wailing of the Residents who don't get to hunt. Many of them are so rude and offensive, the landowners don't watt them on the property.....at all. Many have reputations and are repeat offenders.

That is strange Bob,being a resident here in CO,for 40+ years I have found the opposite to be true. NR's seem to think since they pay that big tag fee,it entitles them to do all and every thing necessary to fill their tag.

Come out and sit at the top of Loveland Pass 2-3 days before elk season and you will see a steady stream of out of state trucks pulling ATV's.Frequent the areas where they are used and you will see 50%+ going off road where not permitted.Then there is the common theme of "I will take any shot to to kill an elk because I paid for this tag and it wasn't cheap"

I cant begin to count the number of times NR"s come into my camp and want me to pack their elk out with my mules because they didn't figure it would be all that hard to carry it out on their backs. I try to tell them I wouldn't do it for free,but it is illegal for me to charge because I am not an outfitter. So they cuss me out as being a selfish resident and the their friendly 4-5 days preceding this turns sour.

The only land owners who have not let me hunt are the ones that have their land leased to outfitters or private hunting parties. I enjoy being able to hunt over 100,000 acres for antelope and over 10,000 acres for deer,and have done so for 20 years. Yet in the next unit to the east where I hunt antelope, every ranch is leased and the cheapest trespass fee I found was $800.The NR's complain about the high cost of tags,but they are the ones that will hunt those leased ranches for $2000-$7000 + tags depending on the quarry. If they didn't,you would not see all that land tied up in leases. They made that a big business,not the locals

I agree it isn't all NR's,but I think you paint the nasty residents with too wide a brush stroke.Sort of like all the comments we hear about those evil ranchers.

I'm not at all against NR"s. Thru the years,I have had many in my camps where I supplied them with a mule to ride and we packed out their game out to boot. All at no charge. On this forum alone, I have given free advice to many members on where to hunt,how to get there,etc. Most go home with a punched tag.

This year I am in the process of helping one young fellow from Nebraska and another fellow w/son from a different state with hunting locations. In early August,I am meeting the young fellow down near Gunnison and taking him in to show him where to hunt and camp.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/15/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
saddlesore you live there. I visit. So I won't second guess you... smile

But I KNOW what i have seen and have relationships with landowners going back 30-40 years.

Like MOST NR hunters, most Resident hunters are ethical and law abiding. But if people think the NR hunters are the only problem they are mistaken IME.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/15/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DINK,

Once again, you're FOS.

When I was in high school back in 1969, the non-resident combination license was $150. I can't remember anybody complaining back then, and one of my hunting mentors was an outfitter. Many of his clients brought a kid or two.

Guess what? With inflation, $150 in 1969 is just about $1000.

The tag price on the elk combo price was $600ish prior to I161. The residents voted to do away with the outfitter tag because they wanted to be mean to the outfitters.

Tag price now if you apply online is $1057. It's only this price because of residents were/are jealous of outfitters.

The state did not just raise tag prices on non-residents. Residents pooped on us.

If you want to call names I'm all for it but the facts are residents are jealous of a lot of things.

Dink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't plan to hunt New Hampshire or Missouri. I don't think anyone from my area of the West is jealous of those that do. You rant that people are jealous of this and that, and folks you've never met, in another state have plotted to deny you a cheap nonresident tag.
I think someone here is projecting.....and Montana residents want to be MEAN to outfitters? A bit outlandish claim don'tcha think?
And why would anyone from Montana consciously poop on you?
You might want to keep that paranoia in check there, with that kitchen sink approach to the so called unfairness of it all.

I think you are "out there flappin'."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wyo, I wouldn't worry about the posts on residents being jealous. Those posts are just not-very-well-disguised attempts to insult by someone who's left with very little else to say.

Like the one about residents being jealous of NR's who are willing to put in effort to hunt. Some of the most hard-core hunters from this forum are from MT, and I'd love to see dink try to outwork someone like greenhorn, or the others that post here.

That would be downright funny.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The tag price on the elk combo price was $600ish prior to I161. The residents voted to do away with the outfitter tag because they wanted to be mean to the outfitters.

Tag price now if you apply online is $1057. It's only this price because of residents were/are jealous of outfitters.

The state did not just raise tag prices on non-residents. Residents pooped on us.

If you want to call names I'm all for it but the facts are residents are jealous of a lot of things.

Dink

JB, per always, is right on the money. wink

Crux:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by milespatton
Been watching this thread and have read most of it, I think. What bothers me the most....

What bothers me most is other people thinking I should be concerned about what bothers them most.

One of the better lines in all of this thread, thanks Smoke.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.