Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Bugger
Oh by the way, 338 is better. πŸ˜€

Oh.......Fiddlesticks..... smile

Just skip that thing and get a 375.

I knew that was coming.

I saw bring the 35 Newton back grin

I bet old Bill Steigers would approve of that.

Steigers didn't think the 338 was any big deal. He felt the 35's of similar velocity levels were more gun,a step up.

He liked the 300 Weatherby if you were going to shoot a 30 caliber magnum.

But he figured if you were going to get a medium bore for elk hunting(he DID believe in them), stop screwing around and get a 375 AI.He use the 250 BBC at 3150 and the 275 at 2950.

The last I spoke with him before he died, Bill told me if he were doing it today he would get a 375 RUM as a medium bore.

Of course he also had a rifle built on an Enfield action modified by Tom Burgess and chambered for the 45/404AI.

I bet that thing would curl your hair when it went off. smile

This is the first time I'm not agreeing with Bob. Sorry Bob. I love my 338 win mag. It is light accurate and the 338 win mag was made for elk and big critters. The originals were called "Alaskans" for a reason.. Hint... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smallfry

Amen. If it had to be a weatherby I'd take my 340 over the 300 wby. I'd take a 338 over the 340 though. I'd take a 300 win over the weatherby but would take a 30-06 ove the 300 win. So that leaves us with the 338 win or a 30-06, but I might take my 270 instead of the 30-06. grin I am glad I thats off my chest now!

Holy chit small fry, It sounds pretty fu cked up the way you put it, but that's exactly the way I feel. Except for the 300 win over the 300 WBY. That's just pure horsechit... laugh.. All the rest of what you said is true though... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The originals were called "Alaskans" for a reason.. Hint... laugh

Yep, so they could sell more of 'em.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Oh.......Fiddlesticks..... smile

Just skip that thing and get a 375.

I knew that was coming.

I saw bring the 35 Newton back grin

I bet old Bill Steigers would approve of that.

Steigers didn't think the 338 was any big deal. He felt the 35's of similar velocity levels were more gun,a step up.

He liked the 300 Weatherby if you were going to shoot a 30 caliber magnum.

But he figured if you were going to get a medium bore for elk hunting(he DID believe in them), stop screwing around and get a 375 AI.He use the 250 BBC at 3150 and the 275 at 2950.

The last I spoke with him before he died, Bill told me if he were doing it today he would get a 375 RUM as a medium bore.

Of course he also had a rifle built on an Enfield action modified by Tom Burgess and chambered for the 45/404AI.

I bet that thing would curl your hair when it went off. smile

This is the first time I'm not agreeing with Bob. Sorry Bob. I love my 338 win mag. It is light accurate and the 338 win mag was made for elk and big critters. The originals were called "Alaskans" for a reason.. Hint... laugh

bsa: That's OK....I like the 338. It's obviously good but I like other stuff a bit better. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
The originals were called "Alaskans" for a reason.. Hint... laugh

Yep, so they could sell more of 'em.....

There weren't too many of them to sell. Good thing Scotty and I got ours... wink

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey I had one! cool

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Used to see the .338 Winchester in the hands of more hunters here in Montana, but most of the guys know who used to hunt with it a lot (including me) don't much anymore.

I suspect the introduction of such a wide variety of premium big game bullets has something to do with it. The .338 was introduced primarily due to pressure from Elmer Keith and like-minded hunters, back when there was only one readily available premium, the Nosler Partition. Elmer and the others were fixated on heavy, high-sectional density bullets at moderate velocities, because those are what had worked for them on larger game animals when only cup-and-cores were available. He HATED the fact that Winchester brought out a 200-grain load at 3000 fps, when the 250- and 300-grain loads were perfect.

But newer bullets in smaller calibers penetrate at least as well, and often deeper, and the .338 Winchester doesn't have enough powder room or magazine length for the long, high-BC spitzers preferred by long-range hunters who might prefer .338 bullets.

I might still choose a .338 for Alaskan moose and African eland, as I did back when using the cartridge a lot, but the truth is smaller caliber cartridges work fine on both with bullets--which applies even more to elk, because they're not as large as moose and eland.

The .338 is a fine round, but it's a by-product of inferior bullets. Today we have better bullets that make smaller cartridges perform bigger. In fact, this has pretty much been the overall trend in hunting rifles ever since somebody cut spiral grooves in a musket barrel.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Used to see the .338 Winchester in the hands of more hunters here in Montana, but most of the guys know who used to hunt with it a lot (including me) don't much anymore.

I suspect the introduction of such a wide variety of premium big game bullets has something to do with it. The .338 was introduced primarily due to pressure from Elmer Keith and like-minded hunters, back when there was only one readily available premium, the Nosler Partition. Elmer and the others were fixated on heavy, high-sectional density bullets at moderate velocities, because those are what had worked for them on larger game animals when only cup-and-cores were available. He HATED the fact that Winchester brought out a 200-grain load at 3000 fps, when the 250- and 300-grain loads were perfect.

But newer bullets in smaller calibers penetrate at least as well, and often deeper, and the .338 Winchester doesn't have enough powder room or magazine length for the long, high-BC spitzers preferred by long-range hunters who might prefer .338 bullets.

I might still choose a .338 for Alaskan moose and African eland, as I did back when using the cartridge a lot, but the truth is smaller caliber cartridges work fine on both with bullets--which applies even more to elk, because they're not as large as moose and eland.

The .338 is a fine round, but it's a by-product of inferior bullets. Today we have better bullets that make smaller cartridges perform bigger. In fact, this has pretty much been the overall trend in hunting rifles ever since somebody cut spiral grooves in a musket barrel.

Great post JB. If they ever decide to take partitions or Hornady interlocks or even the great 250 gr. Sierra GK off the shelf, I might stop using the 338 win mag. Until then, I'll keep using it here. I don't really mind inferior bullets, as they still get the job done.... wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, they still work!

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Well thats it then, I'm building a 338 Mashburn!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry

Amen. If it had to be a weatherby I'd take my 340 over the 300 wby. I'd take a 338 over the 340 though. I'd take a 300 win over the weatherby but would take a 30-06 ove the 300 win. So that leaves us with the 338 win or a 30-06, but I might take my 270 instead of the 30-06. grin I am glad I thats off my chest now!

Holy chit small fry, It sounds pretty fu cked up the way you put it, but that's exactly the way I feel. Except for the 300 win over the 300 WBY. That's just pure horsechit... laugh.. All the rest of what you said is true though... laugh

bsa1917hunter, the biggest "problem" I see with the 300 WM is the short neck. Though it makes it less flexible by design, in practice it hasn't hampered me much. You gotta give the 300 WM some slack, it is literaly the 338s entitled little brother and was born in spite of the 338 grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you, smallfry. I intentionally chose the .300 WM over the .300 WBY and the .338 WM over the .340 WBY.

The short neck on the .300 WM has been a matter of zero consequence.

My safe holds a single .300 WM but three .30-06s, a .308 Win and a .300 BLK. Like all things in life, more isn't always better.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have both the .300 Wea. and .300 win. Yeats ago when I made my Win. I was thinking of a Wea.. But at that time the gunshop I dealt with build most of their Wea. WITHOUT any freebore.. My pal bought a beautiful custom Wea. from them, and when I read up on the loading data, with out the freebore, it was the twin of a .300 Win.. I have both and the Wea beats the Win. by about 100 fps.. Both are great elk rifles, but I have shot the Win much longer and much more.
When I first hunted elk, the Win. was just new in my collection.. I had hunted most of the 10 years before, with a custom .30-06.. I had great faith in it.. But on my first season, I had a good shot at a cow elk.. I put the crosshairs of the scope on her shoulder and squeezed... I missed.. To this day I do not know how I missed that shot.
A few days later I put a 165 gr. from my .300 right though the lungs of a huge cow.. Later that fall I shot a nice mule with the .300, from that point on, I had great faith in the .300.. My 06's have pretty much gathered dust since then..
Never owned a .308 except to take the barrel of to make something else.. I do have a nice little bolt action 300 Savage. But never took it elk hunting.. Went through a couple .338's but they lacked the flat shooting qualities of the .300's.. In the area I hunted elk at the time, that was important.. It was also in the prerange finder days.. I have since added a .340 to my safe.. I like it better than the .338, but I seldom shoot it much anymore.
It didn't kill any better than my .300..
Now with elk everywhere, and the meat not so important to our budget, I could use the 06, but when the chips are down, I usually take one of the .300's. They have never failed, and we have a great many memories..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both the .300 Wea. and .300 win. Yeats ago when I made my Win. I was thinking of a Wea.. But at that time the gunshop I dealt with build most of their Wea. WITHOUT any freebore.. My pal bought a beautiful custom Wea. from them, and when I read up on the loading data, with out the freebore, it was the twin of a .300 Win.. I have both and the Wea beats the Win. by about 100 fps.. Both are great elk rifles, but I have shot the Win much longer and much more.
When I first hunted elk, the Win. was just new in my collection.. I had hunted most of the 10 years before, with a custom .30-06.. I had great faith in it.. But on my first season, I had a good shot at a cow elk.. I put the crosshairs of the scope on her shoulder and squeezed... I missed.. To this day I do not know how I missed that shot.
A few days later I put a 165 gr. from my .300 right though the lungs of a huge cow.. Later that fall I shot a nice mule with the .300, from that point on, I had great faith in the .300.. My 06's have pretty much gathered dust since then..
Never owned a .308 except to take the barrel of to make something else.. I do have a nice little bolt action 300 Savage. But never took it elk hunting.. Went through a couple .338's but they lacked the flat shooting qualities of the .300's.. In the area I hunted elk at the time, that was important.. It was also in the prerange finder days.. I have since added a .340 to my safe.. I like it better than the .338, but I seldom shoot it much anymore.
It didn't kill any better than my .300..
Now with elk everywhere, and the meat not so important to our budget, I could use the 06, but when the chips are down, I usually take one of the .300's. They have never failed, and we have a great many memories..

What I'm getting out of this is you missed an easy shot with your 30-06 and started using your 300 win. I can see where the 30-06 failed you and how the 300 is so much better because you missed with the 06... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What? Is this thing still going? wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think it has finally been settled - there is never anything better for elk than the.300 WBY -- for any hunter, regardless of their individual situation.

That's why I'm going to sell off all my other rifles and get a .300 WBY.

Or not.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
17, Not what I was saying really, I did miss an easy shot with the 06, something that had never happened until then..
My next chance came with the .300 and I was successful.. Later that fall, I killed my best mulie so far with the .300.. My confidence was building in the .300, plus much of my hunting for elk was after work.. The hunting was in open country and the flatter shooting .300 made it easier to fill a tag in those days when elk venison was very important to us.. We still like it, but the need to fill the freeze is gone..
The 06 is good, but for what I needed the .300 was better..
I did kill a lot of elk when hunting with pals that carried 06's. They just felt the shots were too far.. They also were not shooters either.. None reloaded, none shot during the off season.. My shooting was with the Win. version..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It looks like it, but I don't see why. C'mon, it isn't important like when I have to school some Philistine about putting ice in sipping whisk(e)y. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
...... C'mon, it isn't important like when I have to school some Philistine about putting ice in sipping whisk(e)y. grin

GHC do some people really do that? shocked

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
...... C'mon, it isn't important like when I have to school some Philistine about putting ice in sipping whisk(e)y. grin

GHC do some people really do that? shocked

Unfortunately yes.

Page 42 of 70 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.