Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We were thinking about going back to Yellowstone again this year but decided to go someplace new: Glacier National Park.

We found a couple of nice places to stay on the West side and want your opinion on them. Nyack (Hwy 2) or Bigfork.

Watcha think?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Nyack has a train tracks going right through the middle of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4394087,-113.8100452,504m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bigfork

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bigfork-Montana.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bigfork is on Flathead lake, ~45 minutes to the West Glacier entrance with lots of food choices and yuppies. Kalispell is closer, but a bigger town. Nyack is closer to the park but won't have may options for food or services like gas, and you may enjoy oil trains 24/7. There just is not a whole lot between West Glacier east to Browning (on the Rez)

Don't forget a trip up the Northfork to Polbridge and Boweman lake. You will probably see more Grizzly on the eastside around iceberge lake and St Mary, but it can be a windy bugger on that side of Rockies to camp.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd stay in Columbia Falls. Actually, I am staying south of there right now in a campground. The drive from Bigfork to the park seems to take forever, from Columbia Falls you can be there in a few minutes, and there are a couple of decent places to eat in CF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We stayed in a VRBO house west of Whitefish last year. Doing it again, we would stay closer to the park. Columbia Falls wouldn't be a bad idea.

We enjoyed the red jammer bus tour. Saw moose, deer,elk, bear, mountain goats from the bus.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Columbia Falls, or maybe North Forty, or just any old motel in C Falls. Kalispell is fine, too, it's only 12 minutes further.

The trick is to get your can out of bed in the morning and race everyone to Logan Pass or whatever your jump-off point is going to be for whatever hike you're planning. You can come back to town early and get caught up on sleep in front.

I would say Nyack or the Izaak Walton at Essex might be an option if it's your intent to visit the park less traveled. But since it is your first trip, you're best off doing Columbia Falls (civilization at a reasonable price) and some light park-and-walk day hikes. Get up early, drive smart (not fast, too many park cops), park well. One of the best local perverted pleasures is to get done hiking and make a big show out of getting in the car, it's like watching sharks circle chum as the desperate seek your spot. Then, when you all get inside and belt up, HAVE A SNACK, then leave.

Furthermore, the trains at Nyack are cool. Kind of a neat counterpoint, but I'm biased as trains paid my way through school. And the railroads of course p1mped for the creation of the park in the first place.

Finally, don't spend a dime in Whitefish except maybe at Army Navy or the auto parts stores. They have a resort tax, the downtown merchants are greedy slime, and the city council is flat-out Communist.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kinda liked this place:

[Linked Image]

But it's on the East side.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All good information. Please keep it coming....

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Up

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sako, I would try and stay on the east side. Perhaps a motel in St. Mary. Start making your calls now. Shooting for the very ass end of June can be a perfect time. The Going to the Sun Road should be open (hopefully) 100% and the crowds are smaller.

We like to park at the Many Glacier campground area and do our day hikes from there.

Not sure how many days you plan on staying.

Ptarmigan Falls. Ptarmigan Tunnel. And Iceberg Lake are our favorite day hikes from that area.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my one trip there, we rented a tiny cabin at the KOA. It was priced right, clean enough, and very close to the park.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Red Eagle motel in Browning.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Red Eagle motel in Browning.

Seeing that no one responded to my post, I am following up to make certain the OP understands this suggestion was purely tongue-in-cheek.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I didn't respond because I was hoping he'd do a post-trip write up.

Thanks for ruining my fun.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ha! Geesh, I am glad my wife found a VRBO cabin. OK, whats with the "Red Eagle" accommodation? Five star?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Ha! Geesh, I am glad my wife found a VRBO cabin. OK, whats with the "Red Eagle" accommodation? Five star?

Only because there isn't a six-star rating.

Tons of loving dogs with no owners. Really nice people with gold painted goatees. Nobody breathes with their mouth closed. It's awesome.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sako,

Where is your cabin at?

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Tons of loving dogs with no owners. Really nice people with gold painted goatees. Nobody breathes with their mouth closed. It's awesome.

Dave

Sounds grand.

The wife found a place on Hwy 2 near Nyack. May have to cancel now that I found out about Red Eagle.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red Eagle is uber!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Sounds grand.

The wife found a place on Hwy 2 near Nyack. May have to cancel now that I found out about Red Eagle.

Nothing like a summer vacation in Browning, friendly postcard little town at the base of the rockies. Best food and hotels in Montana laugh . I guarantee your wife will never forget the experience.

If your staying in Nyack, bring a cooler with food. Not a lot options for dining. It will probably be cool in the evenings, so bring jackets.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.