Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman
"Wherever it can be required". Why the hell does EVERY DAMN THING have to be mandated? If you choose to save gas (and as stated before, a lot of vehicles do better at greater speeds), why not allow the people to have a choice? Just because the speed limit is 65, does not mean you MUST drive 65. Lefties cannot WAIT to FORCE you to follow their "suggestions".

That's what I was thinking also. The sign says Speed Limit - slow down if you want to or, spend and extra $1 and get there sooner. Your choice.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Does anyone else have an older car with a speedometer that only goes to 85? For you younger guys, during the last 55 mph fiasco, they passed a law saying that speedos had to be capped at 85. The idea was that speeders wanted to see how fast their car would go. If they wouldn't see it on the speedo, they'd wouldn't go as fast.

My '85 Mustang GT had an 85-mph speedometer, I promptly bought a 140-mph speedometer from Ford and swapped it out in 10 minutes!! laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think progressives just sit around half the day trying to figure out ways they can control us plebeians.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Does anyone else have an older car with a speedometer that only goes to 85? For you younger guys, during the last 55 mph fiasco, they passed a law saying that speedos had to be capped at 85. The idea was that speeders wanted to see how fast their car would go. If they wouldn't see it on the speedo, they'd wouldn't go as fast.

My '85 Mustang GT had an 85-mph speedometer, I promptly bought a 140-mph speedometer from Ford and swapped it out in 10 minutes!! laugh

Did the same thing in my 84 Volvo Wagon when I bought it new.

The 55 MPH Speed limit was Nixon's bright idea, and it was repealed by Reagan, IIRC.

I was in college when it was dropped back in 73 or 74... I use to take long trips home to VA from Massachusetts, and even points further south. Even owning a VW Squareback, the only way I could keep to that 55 speed limit, was to stop at McDonalds and get a cup of ice water, and pour that out.

Have a 12 pack of beer with me on ice, and would drive along sipping that thru the Mac's cup and straw... get a 4 beer buzz and nurse it for 500 miles...

Would go to Canada, and they didn't have that lower limit, so I'd run 85 like I use to stateside... crossing the border back into the USA, 55 mph felt like I was walking....

doesn't NY and Connecticut still have the 55 mph speed limt?

I know folks in CT still didn't follow speed limits, the last time I was in New England...

Cops on I 5 here in Oregon enforce the 65 mph pretty heavily, south of Eugene, with HUGE fines.... loved going thru Arizona where its 75 and everyone does 90, and then when I was in Texas going to Ed Too Many Letters place in last year...Loved it.

Low speed limits, is just another example of liberals lunacy...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As I've said for months, time is not on her side.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Now they have cars that have speedometers that go up there to 120+, and engines that will exceed that, but they put speed limiters on them so you can't do that speed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 55 MPH Speed limit was Nixon's bright idea, and it was repealed by Reagan, IIRC.

Yeah, it was Nixon. In fact he wanted it to be 50 mph.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Now they have cars that have speedometers that go up there to 120+, and engines that will exceed that, but they put speed limiters on them so you can't do that speed.
Yeah, until it's disabled/removed...

Just like those kill switches under tractor seats.. FIRST thing one does upon obtaining a new tractor is to bypass THAT little gadget..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yeah, it was Nixon. In fact he wanted it to be 50 mph.

Well in my relatives home county in WVa that wouldn't have been a problem... between all the curves on the paved roads, and the zillion miles of 1 and half laned dirt roads... whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
As I've said for months, time is not on her side.

Dave

Personally I'm still holding out for that plane crash...

although a Muslim suicide bomber would work, especially when you think about Benghazi and that "what does it matter" statement from the Be Itch.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you expect the Democratic Leadership is all cut from the same cloth one has to look no farther than Hilda Beast, Nancy Pelosi, and the Chairman of the Democratic Party Debbie Wasserman!

All three are crazier than a $hithouse Mouse and don't have sense enough to come inside in rain.!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
When we had it years ago, Idaho was forced to comply so they passed a law putting a $5 fine on speeding between 55 and 65 (or maybe it was 70). The police were exceptionally lenient, too.

Same think in Wyoming. It was a $5 fine up to 75 and a 5 dollar rebate on the fine if you were wearing your seatbelt.

Yeah, but 85-90 was a whole 'nother story. Cost me $50. That '76 T-bird was downright sleep-boring at anything under 75. So, to stay awake.....

My wife was living in Miles City, I was going to gunsmithing school/working in Denver. 500.1 miles between, once a month. Best time was just over 7 hours driving.

I liked them Gillette cops. They took IOUs. Once. If it was 30 below, they would just flash their bars at me as I went by.... smile

But that was pre- coal-slurry...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,911
Posts18,498,246
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.