Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So I bought a new stripped lower from a gun shop the other day. While filling out the paperwork, the ffl dealer guy said that the Virginia State Police told them to fill out the state form as a rifle because the VA state form only has designations for pistols and rifles. No "receiver" designation.

The federal form however has pistol, rifle, receiver, and I believe he said other as well. So he filled out the federal form as Receiver.
He being prior law enforcement told me it was clean and clear to build whatever I want. But upon asking several other gun shops they all said a pistol would be illegal.

So, state form says rifle. Federal form says receiver. Can I build a pistol or not?
Thanks

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
my understanding is that a new lower can be built into a rifle or a pistol. if built into a rifle, it must remain a rifle, forever. if built into a pistol, it can be built into a rifle at anytime in the future, BUT, must remain a rifle after that, forever.

disclaimer: i'm not a lawyer, ATF agent, and i didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Lol,Holiday Inn...
Thanks Keith.
After some research, that's kinda how I took it too.
As long as it was never built as a rifle, you can make a pistol.
It just worries me that there is conflicting info in the paperwork. It seems too easy for a county mounty to run the numbers on it for whatever intruding reason and really give me a hard time.
I may even call the state boys in Richmond just to be absolutely sure.
I'll post their answer if I get one.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by SteveO1911

As long as it was never built as a rifle, you can make a pistol.

Unless it was originally transferred as a rifle. Not sure how your state paperwork affects that.

Why didn't he just transfer it as a pistol, instead of rifle? That would have eliminated any question. Maybe time for a different FFL...

M
M
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
it can be built into a rifle at anytime in the future, BUT, must remain a rifle after that, forever

This is false. A pistol may be configured as a rifle, then back into a pistol. For further clarification, look up the lawsuit Thompson won against the BATF.

Since the receiver in question was sold as a rifle, it cannot legally be configured as a pistol

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

M
M
You're welcome. Glad to be of service to a fellow shooter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,259
Posts18,504,801
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.