Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saddlesore,

Seems like binoculars are more prudent to use when looking at deer heads than the scope on a rifle

What power binocular do you use?!

Where I hunted a couple years ago was a three point or better area. I found two deer with my 8X binoculars. I am not always a trophy hunter so I took the first legal deer I found. My scope was a 5-25X52. In order to see the third point I had to turn it up to 25X.

Earlier that year I hunted in a different state and was trophy hunting because I had more time. I found a deer with my binoculars but could not tell if it had four points on both sides, but could tell the antlers were wider than the ears. Up came the scope. When it was on 12X I could tell there were four points on each side and fired.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
saddlesore,

Seems like binoculars are more prudent to use when looking at deer heads than the scope on a rifle

What power binocular do you use?![b][/b]

Where I hunted a couple years ago was a three point or better area. I found two deer with my 8X binoculars. I am not always a trophy hunter so I took the first legal deer I found. My scope was a 5-25X52. In order to see the third point I had to turn it up to 25X.

Earlier that year I hunted in a different state and was trophy hunting because I had more time. I found a deer with my binoculars but could not tell if it had four points on both sides, but could tell the antlers were wider than the ears. Up came the scope. When it was on 12X I could tell there were four points on each side and fired.

ringman -- Thank You.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I have a sincere question. When you have identified a deer PLUS a buck with antlers....

what is imprudent about scoping it?

I may NOT know if I want to shoot it or not but it is a deer with antlers. If/when the legal points are determined it is time to shoot. If not, drop the sight off the animal.

Here is a buck. How many points can you see? and I'm standing only feet away from it.
[Linked Image]

This 6 pt weighed 175-178 lbs and had 17 1/2" inside spread. W/o seeing a 3rd point on 1 side, it would have been illegal for me to shoot.

He was pushing a doe in a cutover about 389 yds away. I turned the scope up, and still had to wait for him to turn his head JUST right to see a 3 rd point.

Jerry

ps: I've discussed this scenario too many times before and I 'm not going to argue with anyone about it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I encountered this "out west" concept myself, back in Michigan. Having lived all over the country, I found it pretty pretty funny how the guys talking about "out west" seemed to think that meant one particular type of terrain.

Here in the coastal mountains on the west coast, all of my deer have been shot inside 50 yards. I've averaged longer distance shots back in the southeast than in this coastal region.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This 6 pt weighed 175-178 lbs and had 17 1/2" inside spread. W/o seeing a 3rd point on 1 side, it would have been illegal for me to shoot.

He was pushing a doe in a cutover about 389 yds away. I turned the scope up, and still had to wait for him to turn his head JUST right to see a 3 rd point.
Out of curiosity, how far 'out west' do you have to get before an eastern 6 pt becomes a western 3x3?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Obviously, further west.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Out of curiosity, how far 'out west' do you have to get before an eastern 6 pt becomes a western 3x3?

Originally Posted by smokepole
Obviously, further west.

grin grin
Well.... I'm at least West of the Big River. whistle

Ringman is from Oregon.... so.....

Close/far isn't limited to geographical location. Scope choice is personal preference choice.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Close/far isn't limited to geographical location. Scope choice is personal preference choice.

I could get by with a 4-12X in the local place where I hunt. Twelve power is the magnification I needed a couple years ago to make out the points on this buck in the conditions that morning.

[Linked Image]

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fiction

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

To an Easterner,it starts in places like Nebraska, Kansas,Oklahoma,and Texas that start to "look" like the west.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I could get by with a 4-12X in the local place where I hunt. Twelve power is the magnification I needed a couple years ago to make out the points on this buck in the conditions that morning.

[Linked Image]

Did you have one in the chamber to not miss that opportunity?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ironbender,

When I hunt there is always one in the chamber with the safety on. The safety is switched off on the way to my shoulder. The deer was walking toward some brush that joind the woods about my level. I already determined the antlers were wider than the ears with the binoculars.

Bob Hagel would have been proud. He said take the available shot. By the time I turned up the scope to 12X and saw four on both sides all that was visable was the right flank and back leg. The buck was angling away so I fired right in front of the right back leg. The GSCustom 85HV left the muzzle at 3,919feet per second and exited behind the left shoulder. The deers momentom carried it out of sight. I was ready to wait for several hours before I disturbed it because I didn't know how badly it was hit.

After about two minutes it charged out of the bush dragging its hand legs down hill as fast as a man can run. I put another thrugh the ribs as it went by below me. That one exited where the elbow covers it. You can see them in the photo.
[Linked Image]

Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH

To an Easterner,it starts in places like Nebraska, Kansas,Oklahoma,and Texas that start to "look" like the west.

I have lived in the east and west and the places you listed all look like a billiard table to me!!!!!!! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I have lived in the east and west and the places you listed all look like a billiard table to me!!!!!!! laugh

Yup and it gets dryer with short grass prairie,sage brush,tumble weed and stuff like that.Nothing like that back East. To me that's the beginning of the West.Also pretty sure thats the beginning of mule deer country,no?

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/16/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
mudhen, that's a good map, but I have a question for you regarding the mule deer found in the W TX sandhills that hug the TX/NM line....not even highlighted on this map (gray).

What supspecies are they in your opinion? They are much larger bodied than any mule deer herd found to the N, S, or W. The first one seen out here by a huge landowner here, a friend of my dad's, was in 1971. Where did they come from and how did they get here?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ben yeah that's kind of what I'm talking about. I figure if it's got mule deer, it's the west!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG, I don't know the answer to your question, for sure, but I would bet that taxonomists would place them in the Rocky Mountain mule deer subspecies. The Rockies are the biggest of the designated subspecies, and I have seen and measured some very large-bodied mule deer in western Nebraska and western Kansas. Lower elevations mean longer growing seasons and milder winters, both of which help to maximize growth and body size. Then there are also the effects of harsher winters in the northern parts of a species range, where large body size and smaller appendages become a means of minimizing heat loss to very cold winter temperatures.

Biologists don't pay as much attention to subspecies as they used to when naming new taxa was a game that everyone played. For populations that are not physically isolated from one another, there are really no definable lines where one subspecies starts and another ends. We tend to think of differences among populations in terms of ecotypes--subpopulations of animals that have become adapted over time to be successful in particular habitats. The differences probably result from some genetic variation as well as the effects of soils, climate, and vegetation acting on the the individual animals which make up the population as a whole.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/16/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Excellent, thank you sir. Your friend Ernie Davis has the same inclination...Rocky Mtn variety.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

saddlesore,

What power binocular do you use?!

How far were the deer from you?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 60 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.