Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The scenario.... I come from a long line of war veterans... WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm. I vividly remember sitting in my grandfathers lap shooting his Jap rifle he acquired while on Iwo Jima. So, we have a long history of shooting.
My grandson, who is now 8, finally expressed an interest in shooting. So, I called my cousin and off to the range we went. This was a big deal as the only prior shooting instruction he had was on his BB gun. He was very intentive, eagerly listened, and excited to boot. I am a stickler for safety. NO excuses. After all the instruction and practicing, we went to live fire of a Ruger 10/22, a Buckmark .22 and finally an AR. For an 8yr old, he listened very well. I could not of been more proud of him. Even other members of the club commended him on how well he did. His smiles are forever engraved in my memory. Now the problem.
When we got home he was so excited to tell his mother what he did and how much he learned and the fun he had. The poor little guy was met with outrage. Then I get it. My daughter seems to forget how she was raised. She never shared the interest in firearms unlike her younger sister. Firearms and hunting were always a way of life in the household. She chastised this poor child telling him he was too young and he should not be doing this at his age. She crushed his excitement.
So, how do I go about changing my daugters mind with out wringing her neck or shoving my boot up her Liberal ass?
Sam is a good boy. You can see by his expressions how much he enjoyed himself. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great job with the lad Mark. I'd talk to her and remind her how she was raised.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whup her stupid damn ass

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every boy that age learns that what momma don't know, won't hurt her.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tell her that your grandson should know how to safely handle guns unless she does not want him spending time with you.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of the above. Dare her to listen to the kid's brief back on what he learned with Grandpa, especially the safety and responsibility part. Then call your other daughter in front of the liberal one and tell her how much you appreciate her temperament.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So you want to get between a mother and her cub on purpose?
Is there a father in this scenario?

Force the issue and everybody loses. Teach the boy to keep his mouth shut when his mother doesn't like something. Good luck trying, but see if his mother has an idea when he won't be "too young".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Daughter started shooting with me at about the same age.

I recently bought her a S&W shield (her choice) as an award for getting her CCW.

She has other favorites, too

She has specifically stated that this is "heirloom material".

[Linked Image]

Perhaps Mom is just overly concerned or protective and may eventually become comfortable with the idea.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I recently bought her a S&W shield (her choice) as an award for getting her CCW.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps Mom is just overly concerned or protective and may eventually become comfortable with the idea.

with that good wood on the garand, the fact she is shooting an 11pound rifle, both her and the gun are heirloom material. thats pretty neat.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shooting glasses wouldn't hurt.

Did mom say specifically what her objections were? "Too young" is a smokescreen for something else.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

[Linked Image]

with that good wood on the garand, the fact she is shooting an 11pound rifle, both her and the gun are heirloom material. thats pretty neat.

I'd have to scan it, but I have a pic of her burnin' a belt up through an M60.

The girl ain't scared of guns!

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
My daughter seems to forget how she was raised. She never shared the interest in firearms unlike her younger sister. Firearms and hunting were always a way of life in the household.

Take your daughter shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem is, you didn't shove enough boots up her liberal ass.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There is an old saying that every young boy needs an old man, other than his father, to teach him everything his mother doesn't want him to know. You did a good thing.

I had a real life Rancid Crabtree to teach me, and hope I have passed on some it to younger generations, much to the anguish of their mothers.

(For those of you that don't know Rancid, go read a Patrick McManus book.)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Contact social services and have the child removed from that toxic environment. Then adopt him.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cut her out of the will, liberals only care about money. Name the boy instead. But that is my knee jerk reaction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just show her those pictures!

Wow! That laser smile will cut right through! grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Campfire wisdom

Stick: threats to daughter of shunning grandson, kicks to liberal daughter's ass, blatantly showing preference for the other daughter.

Carrot: learning to swim is drown-proofing. Learning to shoot and gun safety is gun-proofing. Water and guns will be encountered in a boy's life. Best to know how to handle both.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
discuss for starters. Pictures as icing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wouldn't do a damn thing. Let her think about it. If she's the right sort she'll bring up her 'outburst' in conversation (probably in a round about way).

You have time, let it ride for now.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.