Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think Hornady's recent implementation of AMP jackets in its match bullets within the last few years has helped with consistency.

That, and they got rid of those freaking melting tipped bullets. How can anyone shoot those with any accuracy whatsoever?

maybe with some, but with .224 75s thats been a big funny... at least out of 223.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure, at those pumpkin roller velocities, even Sierras get the job done. Overall I like Barnes' the best, but I use and like Partitions, Hornady Interlocks, A Frames etc. Sierras not so much

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by mathman
A while back the ogives changed on the Hornady 150 grain 308 and 139 grain 7mm flat bases and neither one shoots the same for me. For deer hunting at my range limitations it doesn't really matter much, but it still bugs me.

Rule #1: When you find something you LIKE, buy an truckload of it, because they probably won't be making it next week.

Ain't that the truth

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think Hornady's recent implementation of AMP jackets in its match bullets within the last few years has helped with consistency.

That, and they got rid of those freaking melting tipped bullets. How can anyone shoot those with any accuracy whatsoever?

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Originally Posted by prm

I find that to be a remarkably short sided business approach. I do find Sierra Matchkings fly well. However, I also found that 215 Gamekings don't open (at all) at reasonable speeds and Sierras engineering was rather lacking in that example.

P,

What cartridge, impact velocity and game etc have you been shooting when using the 215 SGKs that weren't opening?

I'm assuming you're talking about the .338 cal version?

Could be the 215 was designed for 338 Win Mag speeds since that's clearly a far more popular 338 than the Federal. I don't see that as a failure of Sierra engineering. Increased speed and rpm's still count with some designs.

No it's exactly the opposite in my experience. I spoke to a tech a Sierra and they told me the 215 was designed with a thinner jacket for 338-06 velocities. They work well for me and have never recovered one. Elk and all were DRT. Also a very accurate bullet.

Also don't agree on match shooters. Sierra is rapidly losing the match shooter market. Hornady, Berger, and Nosler are rapidly taking a good portion of their market. They still make good bullets though.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This has been an interesting thread.

We've heard from several people who've used Sierra hunting bullets in magnums at over 3000 fps and either didn't like the different ways they expanded or how much meat they shot up. This isn't odd, because Elmer Keith was saying the same things about cup-and-cores in high-velocity magnums from about 1930 on. Of course, I had to confirm it for myself, but had pretty done so by my mid-20's, whereupon I started using either heavier cup-and-cores, enough so muzzle velocity wasn't much above 2800 fps, or premiums--though I also discovered that at least a couple of the so-called premiums of the day didn't work exactly as advertised. Apparently, however, every generation has to rediscover the same things.

However, the 7x57 160 GameKing load I've used with such consistent results both in North America and Africa is one stolen from Elmer Keith. He loaded thousands of them for Don Hopkins (the "H" in OKH) for the many lengthy safaris Hopkins and his wife made. They used the load for smaller plains game, what might be called "deer-sized" but ran in size from Thomson's gazelles about the size of a large Eastern coyote to animals more on the order of caribou--and probably some larger. They shot the animals for trophies, camp meat, and baits for cats, and kept requesting more 160 Sierra loads, because they worked, killing quickly and reliably yet not shooting up much meat. It was a load Keith himself recommended, which is exactly why I tried it--and so far have gotten got exactly the same sort of results, several decades later, on a similar range of animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by prm

I find that to be a remarkably short sided business approach. I do find Sierra Matchkings fly well. However, I also found that 215 Gamekings don't open (at all) at reasonable speeds and Sierras engineering was rather lacking in that example.

P,

What cartridge, impact velocity and game etc have you been shooting when using the 215 SGKs that weren't opening?

Could be the 215 was designed for 338 Win Mag speeds since that's clearly a far more popular 338 than the Federal. I don't see that as a failure of Sierra engineering. Increased speed and rpm's still count with some designs.

No it's exactly the opposite in my experience. I spoke to a tech a Sierra and they told me the 215 was designed with a thinner jacket for 338-06 velocities. They work well for me and have never recovered one. Elk and all were DRT. Also a very accurate bullet.

Also don't agree on match shooters. Sierra is rapidly losing the match shooter market. Hornady, Berger, and Nosler are rapidly taking a good portion of their market. They still make good bullets though.

Good. Nice. Glad that's what you see.

In my neck of the woods Sierras aren't rapidly losing to anything among the shooters I know.

I was merely speculating on the 215 Sierra. Both the 338/06 and that bullet are way off my radar. I have no skin in Sierras for hunting and no much use for a 338 of any type.

Why they would design a bullet for an unpopular cartridge is beyond me but I guess they did it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If a rifle will not shoot Sierras,there is something wrong with the rifle.

I used to shoot a lot of Sierras, but now shoot mostly Hornady and Nosler bullets.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I use Sierras and Noslers with a small sample of Swifts.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Drew a Pronghorn Buck in area 3 Colorado with 13 PP. I will use the same rifle and load I have used since the early 80's.

257 Weatherby 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter in front of 70 grains IMR 7828 and a 215 mag primer. Fast, accurate, and deadly.

This is my go to rifle/load for all Pronghorn and Deer. It has never failed me.

Last edited by Dustylongshot; 06/22/16.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Sure, at those pumpkin roller velocities, even Sierras get the job done. Overall I like Barnes' the best, but I use and like Partitions, Hornady Interlocks, A Frames etc. Sierras not so much

As and my hunting camp mates are happy to point out; the 45-70 is indeed a pumpkin roller...

One of them even asked if I chronoed my loads with a stop watch!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

We've heard from several people who've used Sierra hunting bullets in magnums at over 3000 fps and either didn't like the different ways they expanded or how much meat they shot up. This isn't odd, because Elmer Keith was saying the same things about cup-and-cores in high-velocity magnums from about 1930 on. Of course, I had to confirm it for myself, but had pretty done so by my mid-20's, whereupon I started using either heavier cup-and-cores, enough so muzzle velocity wasn't much above 2800 fps, or premiums--though I also discovered that at least a couple of the so-called premiums of the day didn't work exactly as advertised. Apparently, however, every generation has to rediscover the same things.

However, the 7x57 160 GameKing load I've used with such consistent results both in North America and Africa is one stolen from Elmer Keith. He loaded thousands of them for Don Hopkins (the "H" in OKH) for the many lengthy safaris Hopkins and his wife made. They used the load for smaller plains game, what might be called "deer-sized" but ran in size from Thomson's gazelles about the size of a large Eastern coyote to animals more on the order of caribou--and probably some larger. They shot the animals for trophies, camp meat, and baits for cats, and kept requesting more 160 Sierra loads, because they worked, killing quickly and reliably yet not shooting up much meat. It was a load Keith himself recommended, which is exactly why I tried it--and so far have gotten got exactly the same sort of results, several decades later, on a similar range of animals.

I am a slow learner, and don't read many gun articles. Everything I know about bullets I learned here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by prm

P,

Good. Nice. Glad that's what you see.

In my neck of the woods Sierras aren't rapidly losing to anything among the shooters I know.

I was merely speculating on the 215 Sierra. Both the 338/06 and that bullet are way off my radar. I have no skin in Sierras for hunting and no much use for a 338 of any type.

Why they would design a bullet for an unpopular cartridge is beyond me but I guess they did it.

Unpopular? I know of a LOT of folks that run a 338-06. Not quite so many the AI but a lot that run the 338-06. Says something when you consider its not walmart stock rounds....

Now are there enough to design a bullet around it? Don't know that, but the 338 fed probably works good with it too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 215 Sierra Gameking was designed for 338 Win Mag velocities, not so much the 338-06.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
PG,
That is my understanding as well. It is a messy deer bullet out of a 338WM and is "dramatic" on pigs as well. It shoots accurately, what's not to like. I think I can buy 100 of them for the price of the 50 accubonds which means I shoot the rifle more often...another upside.

I shoot Sierra, Hornady and Nosler and have no issues with any of them...but most of my shots are inside 200 yards as well.

LowBC

Last edited by LowBC; 06/22/16.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This thread reminded me that I have never fired a Sierra bullet in my 37 years of handloading. Not exactly sure why.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The only bullet failures that I've ever had were Sierra BTHP Gamekings, 85 grain .243" and 90 grain .257". Only four failures, 2 of each bullet, so a very small sample size, but enough to prompt me to stop using them for medium game.

I used to shoot a lot of 75 grain .257" HPs at pdogs and coyotes with great success, but, for no particular reason, I switched to the 75 grain VMax.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff I'm thinking 30/06 or 308 popular.

I sure don't see 338/06's every day and wouldn't bet I could buy factory ammo anywhere within driving distance.

Never seen one in a hunting camp anywhere. I must lead a sheltered life... smile

I do know where there's a re bored M70 though. belongs to a friend. He never uses it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the only time the thought of "bullet failure" has risen to my mind has been when animals were not recovered. Then again there's no way of knowing in those cases whether it was just poor shot placement or......... a MISS. In fact sometimes I've known too damned well it was a miss.

Anyone else on here who misses?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The 215 Sierra Gameking was designed for 338 Win Mag velocities, not so much the 338-06.

If it won't open at muzzle velocity from a 338-06, it's a 150 yard bullet from a 338 Win mag. Seems like people would want a little more reach.

Scott
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,216 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,313
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.