Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

The Chinese are making synthetic Fentanyl by the boatload as well as supplying the Cartels with raw materials to not only make Fentanyl, but meth, too.

I think what folks are seeing so far as the heroin "cut" with Fentanyl is "White Heroin" which is simply diluted Fentanyl. A "cut" is a dilutant, such as Malitol, something to increase the bulk of a substance, to dilute, or "cut" it's purity.

One doesn't "cut" Heroin with Fentanyl. That would be like cutting beer with Everclear. laugh

Thanks Ed. That's a better answer than I hacked out in a hurry this morning. You made my point for me, and better, too.
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Doc, Based upon a local study I read recently more than 70% of the heroin tested showed it had been cut with fentanyl. As to Pharma not having to shoulder any of the blame; laughable. The over prescription of opioids has been and continues to be a major gateway to heroin use.

Synthetic drugs can be manufactured easily in basement labs and foreign suppliers. That doesn't mean that's what's happening in a majority of the cases. Fentanyl is being sold, traded and stolen regularly. The federal government is the biggest drug dealer in existence. They make the cartels look like rookies and Boy Scouts.

A&N... that's interesting about your local study, but I doubt that it's nationwide, for the simple reasons Ed identified. If the Chinese and Messicans are making fentanyl in quantity, and it's cheaper than heroin, then they'll sell fentanyl to the junkies and call it heroin. Way cheaper than stealing legitimately manufactured drug.

As for Big Pharma, I'll leave that argument alone. I have no love for the pharmaceutical corporations' activities, but it's a far cry from being greedy bastards to actively promoting addiction. If you want to believe that, then go ahead. I ain't gonna change your mind here on the 24HCF. I just know that nearly all prescribing physicians hate addiction, hate being taken advantage of by patients scamming them for narcotics, and want nothing to do with the whole mess even though we're stuck square in the middle of it.

Even the surgeon general came out in a recent address saying that docs are bearing a disproportionate share of the blame for this problem, and it's causing severe harm to the entire healthcare system as doctors are quitting and retiring under the pressure faster than we can make new ones in medical schools. I for one look forward to the day that I am no longer able to prescribe pain medicines.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by EdM
Useless POS is dead. Who really cares here?

At onetime she was not a useless POS, She was someone's daughter, maybe someone's sister.

At onetime she was a vibrant human being with dreams, loves, hopes, fears until she made the fatal mistake of drugs, you know the victimless crime........

It's sad on many levels but not unexpected of one that has decided to do drugs. I expect one day my wife and I will get a phone call telling of my BIL's funeral.

Remember when a typical addict starts his or her path to addiction, they are not just inflicting consequences of that life choice on themselves, but also on their family and friends...Effectively, they would not do it if they had any regard for their loved ones...

No kidding, why do you think I'm waiting for "The" phone call? I have spent a lot of time holding my wife while she was crying over some dumb schit her brother pulled or said. Several years ago she came to the realization that her brother would die from his drug use and there was nothing she could do about it.

She has nothing to do with him anymore because she is tired of all the bullschit but it still doesn't make it any easier waiting for the call.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by EdM
Useless POS is dead. Who really cares here?

At onetime she was not a useless POS, She was someone's daughter, maybe someone's sister.

At onetime she was a vibrant human being with dreams, loves, hopes, fears until she made the fatal mistake of drugs, you know the victimless crime........

It's sad on many levels but not unexpected of one that has decided to do drugs. I expect one day my wife and I will get a phone call telling of my BIL's funeral.

Remember when a typical addict starts his or her path to addiction, they are not just inflicting consequences of that life choice on themselves, but also on their family and friends...Effectively, they would not do it if they had any regard for their loved ones...

No kidding, why do you think I'm waiting for "The" phone call? I have spent a lot of time holding my wife while she was crying over some dumb schit her brother pulled or said. Several years ago she came to the realization that her brother would die from his drug use and there was nothing she could do about it.

She has nothing to do with him anymore because she is tired of all the bullschit but it still doesn't make it any easier waiting for the call.

Paul, I'm dealing with much the same with my sister. I've resolved that I'm going to get a call one day saying they found her body in a ditch...at this point, I'm ok with it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My best friend got involved with drugs when we were in our early 20's Eventually I told him to just stay the hell away from me.....
With all the luck in the world, he met and married an angel of a woman who successfully pulled him out of it.
We re-established our long friendship and spent a few more great years together.

Until one night, when he was 44, his wife called me, crying....he had a heart attack and dropped stone dead.

Too much cocaine on his system earlier in life contributed greatly.

It is the greatest sadness in my life.

And I have had a personal vendetta against drugs ever since.

It still stings like hell.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Family can be cull too. I wish my sister had listened to me.

I don't give a flying f(ck about those that don't care about themselves.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've all been in, are in, or are only one step or decision away from a bad mess...physically, mentally, emotionally and/or spiritually.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Even the surgeon general came out in a recent address saying that docs are bearing a disproportionate share of the blame for this problem, and it's causing severe harm to the entire healthcare system as doctors are quitting and retiring under the pressure faster than we can make new ones in medical schools. I for one look forward to the day that I am no longer able to prescribe pain medicines.

Just like the one bad cop making the good cops look bad. I do believe there is a certain percentage of bad doctors out there as I've ran across a couple. Before I had my back surgery the first doctor I went to tried his damnedest to get me on drugs for the pain and shots in my spine, he threw a fit because I told him I had no use for drugs or a temporary solution to my problem and surgery was my only interest, after he was done with his hissy fit he said he would refer me to the surgeon.

Long story short I had the surgery by a totally different office and am still able to work and carry on a normal life, if I would have taken the other route I would not have been able to work and would have been dependent on drugs and the welfare system.

I wonder how many in my like situation have taken the other route.

Originally Posted by DocRocket
I for one look forward to the day that I am no longer able to prescribe pain medicines.

I bet you do, I've heard retirement ain't underrated in the least.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Paul, I'm dealing with much the same with my sister. I've resolved that I'm going to get a call one day saying they found her body in a ditch...at this point, I'm ok with it

I feel for you John, not easy letting go of your sister. Certainly does suck when family puts you in a position where you have to do things like this.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Family can be cull too. I wish my sister had listened to me.

I don't give a flying f(ck about those that don't care about themselves.

I wish your sister would have listed too, your story is one I think of often.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well that sucks, never understood giving up, I identify a problem, eliminate it and go on, although, I was never stupid enough to do drugs.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Doc, As always your input and experience is an invaluable asset here and appreciated. I agree with you that most doctors hate addiction and are definitely sharing a disproportionate amount of blame. However in the recent past there were a lot more of them that were directly responsible for over prescribing opioids. "Doctor shopping" has been curtailed and pharmacies have become more actively involved in the checks and balances of ensuring compliance and reducing redundant prescriptions.

I'm in southern Louisiana now or I'd look for the study. In any case I'm going swimming now with my son before us PNW boys melt.

PS...You and a few other men on here carry a lot of weight in my book, enough that I've definitely thought thrice about positions based upon your input. All my best.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimy
I believe the smart money lays on preventing these addictions before they begin, as this addiction seems to be a formidable one, much like the long term effects of alcoholism certain death does not seem to be a deterrent.

Another angle is to prevent the opium from getting into our country, and the easiest way is to destroy it where its grown, and thats Afghanistan, of course we all know that thats not going to happen.

Mexicans cartels started flooding the US about 5 years with very cheap heroin. This was after our govt started cracking down on the overuse of pain prescriptions (oxy)

They saw a very good market in the US and capitalized on it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Before I had my back surgery the first doctor I went to tried his damnedest to get me on drugs for the pain and shots in my spine, he threw a fit because I told him I had no use for drugs or a temporary solution to my problem and surgery was my only interest, after he was done with his hissy fit he said he would refer me to the surgeon.

I am glad that worked for you, but what do you do when you have been both routes and the pain is still there? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is quite a thread.

Scott F's jolting experience and sensitive afterthoughts resulted in the sharing of a lot of expert information; differing points of view regarding addicts, their addiction and the way out of it; revelation of many difficult and even heartbreaking experiences with loved ones and friends, and a lot of sensitive expressions by caring guys. This stuff may be some of the best of the Campfire.

As an aside, one can't help but contrast this thread with the recent and distasteful April Fool scheme that uselessly and indecently sucked in some of the same genuinely caring folks here.

Thanks, Scott, and all who have tried to add perspective and maybe positives to a dreadful matter.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Doc, As always your input and experience is an invaluable asset here and appreciated. I agree with you that most doctors hate addiction and are definitely sharing a disproportionate amount of blame. However in the recent past there were a lot more of them that were directly responsible for over prescribing opioids. "Doctor shopping" has been curtailed and pharmacies have become more actively involved in the checks and balances of ensuring compliance and reducing redundant prescriptions.

I'm in southern Louisiana now or I'd look for the study. In any case I'm going swimming now with my son before us PNW boys melt.

PS...You and a few other men on here carry a lot of weight in my book, enough that I've definitely thought thrice about positions based upon your input. All my best.

I know where I'd be eating a soft-shell crab Po-boy if I was where you are.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/emerging-trends-alerts

Fake Prescription Drugs Laced with Fentanyl

Updated May 05, 2016

Media reports and official alerts in several U.S. communities (including Sacramento, CA and most recently, Carroll County, MD) are warning of counterfeit pain and anxiety medications that actually contain fentanyl, an extremely powerful, potentially deadly opioid. The pills, which are disguised as common prescription drugs like Norco (hydrocodone), Percocet (oxycodone), and Xanax (alprazolam), are responsible for a growing number of overdose deaths and non-fatal overdoses around the country. Fentanyl is 25 to 50 times stronger than heroin, so even a small amount can cause an overdose. (The Drug Enforcement Administration reports that some of these pills are manufactured in China and smuggled into the U.S. via Mexican drug cartels.)

The fake pills are much cheaper than the real versions. The public should be aware that drugs obtained on the street, even though they look like a real prescription pharmaceutical, may be deadly. It is always unsafe to take a prescription drug unless it comes from your own prescription and is dispensed by a reputable pharmacy.

"U.S. and British Columbia Issue Alerts on Fentanyl

Updated March 18, 2015

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has issued a nationwide alert about the dangers of fentanyl and related compounds (fentanyl analogues). Fentanyl, an opioid that is 50-100 times more powerful than morphine, is both abused on its own and commonly added to heroin to increase its potency. Fentanyl and fentanyl-laced heroin have been a concern for over a decade and have caused numerous overdose deaths among injection drug users in several U.S. cities.

Heroin is not the only drug that can be laced with fentanyl, however. Officials in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, recently issued public warnings about a wide range of fentanyl-laced drugs causing overdose deaths among users. They warn that fentanyl is now being concealed in non-injection drugs, including oxycodone and various "party drugs" in powder or pill form, as well as in marijuana (although no deaths have been confirmed from fentanyl-laced marijuana). Because of this new threat, British Columbia officials are urging all recreational drug users to "know their source."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
Before I had my back surgery the first doctor I went to tried his damnedest to get me on drugs for the pain and shots in my spine, he threw a fit because I told him I had no use for drugs or a temporary solution to my problem and surgery was my only interest, after he was done with his hissy fit he said he would refer me to the surgeon.

I am glad that worked for you, but what do you do when you have been both routes and the pain is still there? miles

Then you have two choices, live with the pain or use the drugs. I would not look down on either choice in that case. Too often I think that people take the easy way out as surgery sure the hell ain't the easy route, there are a couple here who know what I went through but I would do it again in a heartbeat if need be.

I have a friend who's daughter was suckered into the drug route, she had been on pain killers and welfare for 12 years and now wants to get her life back and have the surgery. She is tired of being an addict and wants a normal life again, the girl has a long road ahead of her and I hope she makes it.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm skeered of the day when something don't hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given some of the reactions here, I must be one of the few that feels damn lucky I survived some of my really poor choices I made in my late teens and early twenties.

Glad I never chose to stick a needle in my arm. But did everything but.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 257wthbylover, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,118
Posts18,522,864
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.