Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
i'ts BS to assume that someone taking prescription opioids is an addict, or is abusing the product.

talk to someone with spinal stenosis, bulged/herniated discs in their back about it.
I drank a lot 30 years ago, stoppped with no issue cold turkey. I think i have a low suseptibility to addiction.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Sunday afternoon a good friend of my sons OD and died. He was 22 and came from a good family. Played sports and graduated from high school and had been attending college. Was having some drug and alcohol issues and had moved back home to get some help. It can happen to anyone anytime. What you don't think will harm you will grab you by the throat and not let you go until it has snuffed the life out of you.

sitting here thinking of this, and i can think of two young men around the same age that drugs/alcohol did them in.
neither were street urchins.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Doc, As always your input and experience is an invaluable asset here and appreciated. I agree with you that most doctors hate addiction and are definitely sharing a disproportionate amount of blame. However in the recent past there were a lot more of them that were directly responsible for over prescribing opioids. "Doctor shopping" has been curtailed and pharmacies have become more actively involved in the checks and balances of ensuring compliance and reducing redundant prescriptions.

I'm in southern Louisiana now or I'd look for the study. In any case I'm going swimming now with my son before us PNW boys melt.

PS...You and a few other men on here carry a lot of weight in my book, enough that I've definitely thought thrice about positions based upon your input. All my best.

I know where I'd be eating a soft-shell crab Po-boy if I was where you are.

Just got done with a big mess of crawfish but I'll be here for a week and appreciate any tips.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
My understanding is that the quality, e.g. strength of heroin available on American, Canadian, and European streets has NEVER been stronger, and that the stuff's never been cheaper.

"Free Trade Agreements" ....anybody ?

"Help the poor Afghani Farmers" ...anybody ?

too many letters made an IMPORTANT point,...and our entire approach to DARE needs to change, muy pronto.

GTC

greg
i have been told due to the low cost, heroin is the drug of choice up in central arizona these days. And i just found out from a neighbor a guy down the street from me, gang activity, selling heroin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread, and more proof the drug war is long since lost.

With all the brilliant minds in the free world can't some one come up with a better idea, or is there just to much money involved?

The root of all evil...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
My understanding is that the quality, e.g. strength of heroin available on American, Canadian, and European streets has NEVER been stronger, and that the stuff's never been cheaper.

"Free Trade Agreements" ....anybody ?

"Help the poor Afghani Farmers" ...anybody ?

too many letters made an IMPORTANT point,...and our entire approach to DARE needs to change, muy pronto.

GTC

greg
i have been told due to the low cost, heroin is the drug of choice up in central arizona these days. And i just found out from a neighbor a guy down the street from me, gang activity, selling heroin.

That's the operative word hereabouts, too, Ron.

....and I don't get my advisories from the internet or tabloids, either.

I tossed a ball out on the court regarding the FBI basically TAKING over the USCBP / Border Patrol, last week.

Talk about something that CLEARLY effects what we've come to call "traffic" through our regaion.

Guess nobody's up for putting THAT ball into play, though...sigh.

The buzzwords chosen call out, "Ending Abuses".

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why do people always claim druggies got that way by dealing with pain (emotional etc)? Some people just like to party and get sucked in. Every loser druggie I've ever known had a give a schit attitude early on, and loved to try new drugs.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Family can be cull too. I wish my sister had listened to me.

I don't give a flying f(ck about those that don't care about themselves.

As I remember you sister was quitting. That make the whole thing even sadder.

I know a woman who was on the streets living for meth. One day called her dad and asked to come home. He hung up the phone and went to get her. Today, ten years or more later she is still clean but she admits it is an everyday fight. I can be done but they have to want to.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
It is a highly dangerous drug when abused under the usual solitary circumstances even killing anesthesia providers who know all the technical details of the drug.

How so George - handling, secondary contact?

Add, no, for its propensity to cause immediate respiratory depression or failure as in the "frozen chest" syndrome even with relatively small doses.

I have seen a nurse who did not have sufficient knowledge of the drug push 1 cc (50 ug) IV to an elderly patient in the PACU post-op for pain relief. A code blue was called and in just moments I found the patient unresponsive and in respiratory failure. This is a drug you administer in fractions of a cc or doses of 15-25 ug at a time depending on the patients age and condition. In a solitary, abusing situation this would result in death or brain damage if not.

I personally know of one case of an anesthesia provider found dead with a syringe of fentanyl; while the person may be an expert in the pharmacology of the drug he/she doesn't know how they will react to it. The respiratory failure is accompanied by momentary unconsciousness so you are not aware to will yourself to breath. As C02 builds up in addition one becomes hyperbaric (too much C02 in the blood causing acidosis) also which itself is a cascading, deleterious event unless reversed.

Serious stuff.

Edit to add: if the stuff is synthesized for the street who knows what the strength or potency would be.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/22/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

With all the brilliant minds in the free world can't some one come up with a better idea, or is there just to much money involved?

The root of all evil...

That's because it was never fought as a war.

If it was truly a war on drugs, the enemy would be identified, and we would use our military to systematically kill and destroy the enemy.

Anything less is a clusterphuque.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot your local heroin dealer, Brother of a kid that OD'd and died here killed the sonnova bitch that sold his little brother heroin, got away with it too.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good. Should be more of this.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up the son of dual alcoholic parents that divorced when I was 14 years old.

I lived with my dad and my 3 other brothers and watched him die of lung cancer and alcoholism.

I lived in shame as the electricity was turned off, food in the refrigerator rotted and gave birth to big fat maggots, and the phone ringing off the hook from bill collectors.

I remember my dad's boss asking me for his keys to the business, because he didn't have the balls to confront him personally.

My brothers moved in with me because I was all they had.

I learned personal responsibility the hard way.
Those life experiences taught me a tough as nails work ethic.
My life sinks or swims based on my job performance every single day.

Not much sympathy here for those that cry for handouts and leech off of society due to bad life choices...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to hear stories like this. Sometimes people just need somebody to reach out to but nobody is there. I'm no stranger to drugs and suicide runs in my family so this kind of thing isn't that big a mystery to me. But it tears at the heartstrings because I understand it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Useless POS is dead. Who really cares here?

Seriously?

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I really don't know why so many are getting addicted to drugs these days, but I suspect the earlier mentions of prescription drugs being so common and being given so early is part of the issue. Kids being given drugs to modify their behavior might be more susceptible to trying other drugs to help them feel better later?

I also wonder if all the safety nets we put in place could be part of the problem. There is almost always some sort of program paid for by taxpayers or else charitable donations to help people with problems of their own creation. Perhaps in their attempt to be compassionate and caring, people are making things worse. Perhaps if there wasn't always a shelter to go to, a soup kitchen to eat at and a rehab to check into, the reality of drug addiction would be a little more raw and obvious to those who are dabbling. Kind of like a lack of welfare and government assistance might be motivating factor in people to actually work if they want to eat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I really don't know why so many are getting addicted to drugs these days, but I suspect the earlier mentions of prescription drugs being so common and being given so early is part of the issue. Kids being given drugs to modify their behavior might be more susceptible to trying other drugs to help them feel better later?

I also wonder if all the safety nets we put in place could be part of the problem. There is almost always some sort of program paid for by taxpayers or else charitable donations to help people with problems of their own creation. Perhaps in their attempt to be compassionate and caring, people are making things worse. Perhaps if there wasn't always a shelter to go to, a soup kitchen to eat at and a rehab to check into, the reality of drug addiction would be a little more raw and obvious to those who are dabbling. Kind of like a lack of welfare and government assistance might be motivating factor in people to actually work if they want to eat.

When you take all the sharp edges off the world, via government, I think some people go to extremes for a little danger.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I didn't read 15 pages.

We don't know what led to the addiction, it's possible she just started shooting last week. Heavy drugs and alcohol may not be the original source of her pain.

We can't choose our parents. Selfish people tend to attract selfish partners and sociopaths breed.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by EdM
Useless POS is dead. Who really cares here?

Seriously?

ya see it enough.. its easy to feel that way...

they don't care, then don't even really care, when everyone else tries to care for them...

They don't care if they live or die, they just live from high to high...so what does it do for them to rip your heart out feeling sorry for them...

hate to sound like that, but facts are facts...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 700LH

The root of all evil...

It is not that difficult...kill every dealer/importer, same as any that want to use terrorism as a weapon.

Sooner or later there will be fewer, but until we get past the touchy-feely do-good crap that keeps getting in the way nothing will change.

Pooh-pooh this all you want, but anyone that puts themselves outside the law also puts themselves outside the protection of the law...and they are free game for all law abiding citizens.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,571 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.