Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bobnob17
About the only time the thought of "bullet failure" has risen to my mind has been when animals were not recovered. Then again there's no way of knowing in those cases whether it was just poor shot placement or......... a MISS. In fact sometimes I've known too damned well it was a miss.

Anyone else on here who misses?
Yup and quite often too.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About the only time the thought of "bullet failure" has risen to my mind has been when animals were not recovered. Then again there's no way of knowing in those cases whether it was just poor shot placement or......... a MISS. In fact sometimes I've known too damned well it was a miss.

I've recovered failed bullets. it happens pretty often when guiding hunters. just have decent bullets in your rifle when backing up hunters with brand X, Coreloss, or whatever in thiers.

I expect a little more from a bullet than just hitting the animal.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jeff I'm thinking 30/06 or 308 popular.

I sure don't see 338/06's every day and wouldn't bet I could buy factory ammo anywhere within driving distance.

Never seen one in a hunting camp anywhere. I must lead a sheltered life... smile

I do know where there's a re bored M70 though. belongs to a friend. He never uses it.

THey are not that popular for sure, but I've seen a lot more 338-06 than I ever expected to. Likely due to Elmers writings of the 333 OKH basically...as a starter.

Been down to our heat here in TX lately?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you are responding to me, all four "bullet failure" deer were recovered. The bullets came apart on impact, such that there was no more than 1" of penetration, something that I never worry about with the Partitions that I have used since then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

I sure don't see 338/06's every day and wouldn't bet I could buy factory ammo anywhere within driving distance.

Never seen one in a hunting camp anywhere. I must lead a sheltered life... smile

I do know where there's a re bored M70 though. belongs to a friend. He never uses it.

THey are not that popular for sure, but I've seen a lot more 338-06 than I ever expected to. Likely due to Elmers writings of the 333 OKH basically...as a starter.

Some years ago, I put together a 338-06 on a Husqvarna 8000/9000 series action as part of a matched pair, the other half being chambered in 256 Newton, but I don't shoot either very often. This rifle shoots very well, with 210 grain Partitions being slightly more accurate than its 225 grain brother.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

As I mentioned, a lot of hunters make the mistake of assuming ALL big game bullets of a certain brand and type work exactly the same, even though there's usually some difference in construction in bullets from, say, 6mm to .375. This is even true of Nosler Partitions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
All Nosler Partitions just 'pencil on through'.......right? grin

Last edited by ingwe; 06/22/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

I'm also not convinced the .338-06 is very popular. Maybe among some rifle loonies, but that's a very different thing than "real world" popularity. The only three I've seen in hunter's hands have been in mine....

Also, I suspect Weatherby was a little bitter after their reintroduction of the .338-06 (after A-Square fumbled around with it initially) fell really flat. Beforehand they asked a bunch of gun writers what they thought of the idea, which is much like asking Hollywood starlets about what cars might sell in Iowa.

I told them it was a fine cartridge, but they wouldn't sell many, which is exactly what happened, though that doesn't mean I know much about the gun business. Many other guys only mentioned the "great cartridge" part.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff have not been down.

But looking ahead I may need some winter bass fishing so may come down to Austin over the winter.....I love those Texas Lunkers and want to fish Lake Austin smile

John I know 338/06 is a really good cartridge and I have been surprised it has not caught on except among looneys. But when it comes to rifle cartridges you are right that on the CF we view cartridges through an entirely different prism..... grin

I have tried to justify a medium on the 06 case many times but always conclude I'll just grab a 30/06 with 200's if I need it and if more is required a 375 or a 9.3 if I ever decide I'm done with a 375.

Which won't be soon because I have spare parts ready to box up and send to the smith for another 375 so how's that for convoluted logic? Campfire style? grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/22/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

As I mentioned, a lot of hunters make the mistake of assuming ALL big game bullets of a certain brand and type work exactly the same, even though there's usually some difference in construction in bullets from, say, 6mm to .375. This is even true of Nosler Partitions.

Yes, I understand that, but I get "peace of mind" using Partitions, as they have yet to fail me and are a variable that I don't have to think about.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that's why I use a lot of Partitions (and other premium bullets) as well.

But I leave it to others, especially Campfire members, to decide on the perfect big game bullet. My job is to try everything, and figure out how they work. As a result I've discovered that just about any bullet will work for some hunting, used within certain parameters--and have also discovered that some perfect bullets don't always work as well as some reputedly imperfect bullets.

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JB,
On that note, have you tried a Cutting Edge MTH bullet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, that's why I use a lot of Partitions (and other premium bullets) as well.

But I leave it to others, especially Campfire members, to decide on the perfect big game bullet. My job is to try everything, and figure out how they work. As a result I've discovered that just about any bullet will work for some hunting, used within certain parameters--and have also discovered that some perfect bullets don't always work as well as some reputedly imperfect bullets.

I seldom make recommendation, 'cause I don't care what other people do unless their decisions have a direct impact on me and, unlike some, I realize that there are many ways to skin a cat.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
prm,

I've shot them from several rifles, but haven't used them for hunting and don't plan to. They have a VERY tiny hollow-point, and my previous experience with tiny hollow-points on monolithic bullets is they tend to close up too easily. This most often happens during recoil, when the tips batter (however slightly) against the front of the magazine box.

Plus, the exceptional accuracy they advertise as part of the MTH's only showed up in one of my rifles, as I recall my NULA .30-06.(Even then, they didn't shoot any better than many other bullets in that rifle.) All the other loads shot just OK in my other rifles, when used with powders that shot well with other bullets.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of CE Raptors, partly because they've shot very well in every rifle I've tried them in, and the terminal performance is also very good, essentially monolithic penetration with some controlled fragmentation for more internal damage. The BC isn't as good as with the MTH's, but I tend to value accuracy and, especially, terminal performance over BC for general hunting. High BC doesn't do a lot of good at longer ranges if accuracy isn't exceptional in the first place.

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Appreciate the insight. I too am leery of the small opening, hence my digging for actual experience.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

But looking ahead I may need some winter bass fishing so may come down to Austin over the winter.....I love those Texas Lunkers and want to fish Lake Austin smile

The grass carp and drought have put the hurt on Lake Austin Bass, maybe it will re-bound with the spring rains we had.

Back to Sierra: They make a great bullet that I don't hunt with much. But they sure are nice to check the accuracy of a rifle and work up loads with. Usually one or another will be a close enough match to a Barnes or Nosler. And if I accidentally shoot one at game I usually end up with a butchering job.

They sell so many good target bullets why would they want to compete in an over crowded field? Although if you could combine a match king and partition you would really have something.

Many Long Range shooters say that the accuracy is not as good on a bonded bullet at extended range even if the shape is similar like the Accubond & BT of the same weight.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tejano: Oh no! Thanks for the tip! Austin had some big largemouth. Looks like lake Fork! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always considered a 9.3, a mid-bore on the '06 like the 338 OKH....

As to a MK/PT combo, what about the LRAB? No PT but results might be often be similar.

As to tip size, I recall a local hunter who used 220s on deer, he opened them up well with a drill bit, and said it was unreal deadly and destructive.

On that '06 200 mention, I can say Finn Aaggard did a test, and IIRC, the 200PT '06 rivaled the 210 PT in the 338/06.

That said, a mid-bore does all else equal have a larger wound channel, yet is it necessary.......

All this talk on 338 bullets, I can say I shot 215s, 225 speer and Hornday's at 200 yds....the 215's blew up in the dirt, the 225 Hornady's were classic Fat Mushroom, intact.

Personally, I settled on 2 bullets. 200 NBT for deer at 2910 mv and the 225 PT at 2670 for an Elk load. The 200gr shot 1/2moa, the PT, .6 MOA.

To stereotype say a Sierra brand bullet w/a broad brush stroke, is illogical. Specific bullets vary, some are tougher like the 250 .338, as Rich will tell you - they are made for large game. I would not expect it to perform like a PT in media test, not like a Barnes 225 or 230 FS.

I was flat impressed how the 85 BTHP GK works on deer in a 243. Heard rave reviews before and since on that bullet on deer. I would not try busting shoulders with it like I have with the 95 NBT but lung shots and neck shots, it's deadly.

Often times folks complain about "Bullet Failure" after recovering an animal in a short distance. No blood trail. No exit. Yada Yada. Dead is dead. If you want a blood trail, shoot a PT or mono, they are designed to do that.

I believe many cartridges can be well served by a hunter, when a given bullet is chosen based on it's design/performance parameters - for the type of hunting that is going to take place. The specific game, terrain/distance, etc.

Application matters. If one knows what they are trying to accomplish and wants advice, a quick toll-free call to Sierra will help. I have spent at least a few hours over many years talking to Rich, and a few others. They are happy to have you pick their brain, and are great folks to talk to, IME.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

Gotta admit, since having probably 130 hunters in our camps since 2006, I've never seen a 338-06 either. We're only hunting aoudad, antelope, deer, and hogs though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tejano: Oh no! Thanks for the tip! Austin had some big largemouth. Looks like lake Fork! smile

Bob, have some cahones' man. Venture down south to Falcon or Amistad and maybe you can see a good drug deal or shootout while your fishing for those monster largemouths. Add some spice to your life.

If that won't work, Toledo Bend is the ticket my friend.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.