-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife developed gluten intolerance as an adult. I don't exactly understand how that happened, but for whatever reason it did. She gets sick to her stomach now if she eats and gluten-based bread, pasta, or ???? It sounds hokey to me too guys, but I can tell you she sure feels a lot better if she keeps it out of her diet. The only food allergy I have is to tree nuts. Peanuts are just fine, and I love 'em, but tree nuts can make me sick enough to be a serious concern.

I worked in a clinic where one of the surgical nurses was so allergic to peanuts, she'd have a bad reaction just from smelling them. I swear the whole peanut allergy thing is a relatively "new" thing, as I never remember them taking these sweeping steps to keep peanuts away from everyone in school, or at work.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was on many a flight where nobody choked out because of the peanut vapors floating around.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Grandad had the wheat chaff asthma thing like Sammo, nearly killed him the year he got home from the army during harvest time. Dr told him to move to town and get a different job. So they moved to town and he became a businessman.
He now eats the heck out of locally produced honey and has no problems at all during harvest even when he's driving the combine or running the auger putting the grain in bins. He swears that it's the local honey that has stopped his allergy problems. He's 84 now and fit as most 60 year old guys so maybe he's right.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There were far fewer people wearing eye glasses 50 years ago.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I was on many a flight where nobody choked out because of the peanut vapors floating around.
Good for you, but there are people who are very sensitive to this.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Early exposure is key to avoiding nearly all allergies.

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma.

Breathing without an inhaler would be a major issue.

Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it.

There is even some therapies for adults that do sort of the same thing, giving massive over-exposure to the allergen until the immune system "gives up" and stops fighting it. Can be life threatening and must be supervised.

Sounds like your dad needs to put you to work this summer a little harder while he sits back and watches that you don't stop breathing!

I kinda figured early exposure meant EARLY.

Life was miserable as a kid until I went in and got an inhaler.

Amazing difference, kinda like putting on glasses for the first time and being able to see.

And it's also a great excuse to avoid shoveling out grain bins....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo I carry an inhaler ( Combivent) when hunting because Im allergic to deer, elk, and antelope.

I always figured it was gods way of punishing me for other transgressions... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
OK, I've had Mush Mellon/Cantaloupe, I've had Honeydew and Water Mellon.

What the frick is a Casaba Mellon???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeydew_(melon)

"Honeydew, also known as honeymelon, is a cultivar group of the muskmelon, Cucumis melo Inodorus group, which includes crenshaw, casaba, Persian, winter, and other mixed melons."

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You can't smoke peanuts on airplanes anymore.
mad

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

"Honeydew, also known as honeymelon, is a cultivar group of the muskmelon, Cucumis melo Inodorus group, which includes crenshaw, casaba, Persian, winter, and other mixed melons."

Grandpa called all of the above, "piss pumpkin".

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our last dog was allergic to corn and flea bites. Funny I know. The vet said such problems are becoming much more common in both pets and people, blaimed it on chemicals in the enviroment and food. I do know there are a lot of chemicals that act as sensitizers, which make one more likely to react to allergens.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perfumes and deodorants and laundry detergents and such make me sneeze and my eyes itch.

Things people call "fresh smelling" stink to the high heaven to me.

The only thing in nature that causes this reaction is hemp in the fall.

Not the male plants with puffs of yellow pollen during summer, that has no effect. It's the female plants as they're putting on seed.
The "buds" as pot smokers would say.

I used to sit in a patch of it by the creek during dove season as a boy. Birds love the seeds.
Now I can't get down wind of it without going into a sneezing fit and my eyes itch for two days.

It ruins a hunt.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is a chance the increase in gluten allergies has nothing to do with gluten at all bet rather the addition of Potassium bromate to flour. Two of our kids became intolerant to wheat products and then found out the same foods made with nonbromated flour are fine.

Read http://www.livescience.com/36206-truth-potassium-bromate-food-additive.html

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Our last dog was allergic to corn and flea bites. Funny I know. The vet said such problems are becoming much more common in both pets and people, blaimed it on chemicals in the enviroment and food. I do know there are a lot of chemicals that act as sensitizers, which make one more likely to react to allergens.

Has anyone known of a farmdog that was allergic to corn?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The corn is in dog food. You would not believe everything that has some form of corn in it. The worst part was that dam dog loved sweet corn, I do not know how she did it, but she would eat a roasting ear off like a shelled cob.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?

Exactly, that's my point. How the hell did it become so prevalent today?

I have wondered this many times myself; to me it's one of life mysteries I will likely never understand. I was in my mid 20's before I even encountered anyone with a peanut allergy; now when I visit my kid in elementary school, they have signs hanging on about half the classroom doors that say "peanut allergy in this room". Apparently some kids are so allergic even being in the same room as peanuts is bad. If you ever figure this out, please let me know...always wondered WHY this is so much more prevalent today than when I was a kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Corn isn't meant to be consumed in mass quantities.

We're not chickens pigs or cows.... until the sweet corn is in smile

Then I'm a pig. Digestion be damned!

Whole corn is indicator. Taste great, does little to or for you.

Sean
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Paranoia is rampant!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
After seeing people die from allergies I'd mention that they are, or at least can be, a big deal.

Retired cat herder.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.