Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by JSTUART
If I were a betting man my money would be on us not getting all pertinent information, otherwise it would have been handled already.

What information do you want to know? My wife made it a point to not have contact with her Ex unless it is dealing with her daughter. So he only gets notified if it's a medical issue or if she's doing something special with her school, 4H, or sports in case he wants to show up. He has made it known that he'll not visit his daughter where she lives, and she will only visit him where he is stationed or at his parents homes in the Carolinas or Florida.

I've been with my wife since 2008 and she was divorced in 2006. This is the first time he's ever asked about the AR-15 rifle since I've been with her. So there is a two year gap I don't know nor do I care about.

Now there have been several times in the last eight years he's tried to stir trouble up for us. He never asks or offers a compromise, he gives us orders on what we'll do and when he expects it done regarding his daughter and other things like this rifle. However this is the first time he has ever threatened to involve any form law enforcement and not just the courts.

It's not about the rifle at all for me and my wife. If her Ex would show up at our house and politely ask for it we'd hand it over, even though after I read the abandoned property laws for CO he has no legal right to it. I'm done with it, and I'm not going to allow my family to bow down to him in fear of legal or litigation issues every time he threatens it.

My wife's lawyer that handled the divorce is now retired. The lawyer we used last time for the modification of parenting time is a two hour drive away since we moved for my work after the last time we were in court. I was just more interested in figuring out what kind of legal advice we would need to seek if the ATF or other Law Enforcement agency showed up asking questions.

Just DO whatever you want to do until such time as you have a Order from a Court telling you do do something else.

What if John Smith contacted you today and said you dented his bumper in 2006 in a parking lot at Walmart... would you tell him to pound sand and to get a Court Order?... or buy him a new bumper?

IF you really did dent John Smith bumper... you morally owe John a new bumper.

In a divorce there is huge financial carnage on both sides... if your wife feels morally obligated to make restitution with the rifle... do so. If not, do nothing.

If lawyers are required, I would sell her rifle to pay for the lawyers... but personally I would rather feed and breed feral hogs over lawyers.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Only thing I see is the ex husband still has control of the ex wife.
Ex speaks, ex wife listens and gets upset.

Ex husband is shooting back for the upcoming new expense.

Sell the AR and use proceeds for the braces.

This is the best advice. The ATF or any other law enforcement agency won't care or get involved with who is the legal owner. You have broken no laws, so long as you are legally allowed to possess firearms. Sell it legally and you are done with it. Don't admit in writing that the rifle is his or that you are willing to send it to him. He's not going to do anything but trying to tick you off. Keep documentation of the sale and what you received for it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tell him if he wants the AR back then he has to take the EX wife back also. End of Argument

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I believe you said previously that the rifle doesn't mean much to you. Why not just give it to a local police department with a written explanation of the situation and then tell the ex that he needs to work through the PD to regain custody of it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by djs
I believe you said previously that the rifle doesn't mean much to you. Why not just give it to a local police department with a written explanation of the situation and then tell the ex that he needs to work through the PD to regain custody of it.

Worst advice on this thread.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, the government fixes all problems....

You can depend on them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by djs

Worst advice on this thread.

Consider the source, according to him the Confederate flag shouldn't be flown and Redskins should change their name, don't want to offend.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm not sure that the wife could legally hand the rifle over to the ex-husband if he showed up on the front porch.

Having title to property is one thing. Having possession is another. Interstate transfer of title is, as far as I know, not regulated. Interstate transfer of possession is regulated, and both the giving and receiving party commit felonies if an interstate transfer is done without an FFL.

Title to the property is probably held by the wife, if the standard 30 day possession clause is in the divorce decree. Like so many things in a divorce, he may have bought it, and it may have been his at one time, but it probably is now hers. And the wife clearly has possession of the property.

Even if the ex-husband holds title to the rifle, she probably commits a felony if he shows up at the house and she hands the rifle to him. The ex-husband lives in NY, he's not a resident of your state, and you can't transfer possession without an FFL.

Be done with this negative interaction. You don't need more conflict in your life. Either tell him to pound sand, or tell him you'll turn it over to an FFL in your state and he can deal with it from there. This is simply not worth the emotional investment it's getting.

Last edited by denton; 06/29/16.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is no title to a rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by denton

Be done with this negative interaction. You don't need more conflict in your life. Either tell him to pound sand, or tell him you'll turn it over to an FFL in your state and he can deal with it from there. This is simply not worth the emotional investment it's getting.

This "advice" keeps popping up. I doubt that any FFL would want to get involved. I don't believe they'd be legally obligated to get in the middle of a cluster [bleep].

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You don't need a lawyer. Ignore him. Don't jump through any hoops, don't do squat. Just ignore him and move along.

this is the best advice you've gotten or are liable to get.

I have had a certain amount of experience with my wife's ex husband. He's a manipulator like this guy seems to be. Took me a while to teach my wife how to bitch slap him every time he tried to pull some shcit, but he keeps a pretty low profile now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

You probably hold title to the shoes you are wearing, and to the hammer in your toolbox. Why do you believe there is no title to a rifle? Most of the stuff you own (hold title to) does not have a state issued certificate of title, and one is not needed in order to hold title.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

You probably hold title to the shoes you are wearing, and to the hammer in your toolbox. Why do you believe there is no title to a rifle? Most of the stuff you own (hold title to) does not have a state issued certificate of title, and one is not needed in order to hold title.

So, you want to make an academic argument. So tell me pray tell, how does one, short of pulling out a receipt, prove ownership of personal property except by possession or testimony?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's not an academic argument. Anything you own, you hold title to. And you do not necessarily have possession of everything you own, nor do you hold title to everything you possess (have control of).

This issue came up in the courts not long ago. The government confiscated the firearms of a convicted felon. The felon argued that even though he could not legally possess (have control of) firearms, he could legally own (hold title) to them, and give them to a FFL to sell for him. The court agreed, the guns were sold, and the felon received the money from the sale (transfer of title in exchange for valuable consideration).

Proving you hold title is completely separate issue.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
No it isn't a separate issue. As a practical matter, you don't actually own anything that you can't prove you own.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As a practical matter, you don't actually own anything that you can't prove you own.

Nonsense.

In the court case cited above, the felon probably had no kind of certificate that showed he owned the firearms. Yet the court acknowledged his ownership, allowed them to be sold, and allowed the felon to receive payment for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As a practical matter, you don't actually own anything that you can't prove you own.

Nonsense.

In the court case cited above, the felon probably had no kind of certificate that showed he owned the firearms. Yet the court acknowledged his ownership, allowed them to be sold, and allowed the felon to receive payment for them.

And he "proved" that he owned them in court by offering sworn testimony that they were his that no one contradicted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this guy is a loose cannon, hot head type, she should CONSIDER just giving it back to avoid some future shenanigans. Sounds like he just wants to start some chit. If he is the type guy to go nutz, or poison your outside pets, etc maybe she's better served just giving it back.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
And he "proved" that he owned them in court by offering sworn testimony...

So he proved he had title to the firearms? A moment ago, there was no title to a firearm.

Hold title=own.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 219DW, 55 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,303
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.