Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You have shot some bigger deer than I have no doubt. You e also traveled to more places for sure. Keep in mind the state I hunt you can kill more than 3-4 deer a year. Not all those are 50lb fawns.

I've only shot one mature cow elk. Was pagosa springs 2 years ago. She was much bigger than any deer I've shot. Was a very fun trip with good folk.

I believe well thought out is no different than an opinion. Wouldn't you agree? So yes my opinion on a light deer rifle is using one of Mr. Forbes short actions. I didn't mean to bother him but a good friend and I probably got to talk with him atleast 45min(I know you've know him 45years or so). He told us the story of hunting caribou with Mr. Steve Timm in Canada and he took a 308. You might have been there too I don't know.

My opinion is a short action is a better choice for a light weight deer rifle. I also have long actions myself. I don't consider one a fool for choosing a long action even though I don't see the need in it for a deer rifle. I stand by this statement and do not mean to insult anyone. I don't think you'll find a better deer rifle than something based off a 22-250,x47,or 308 case pick caliber you prefer.

I hope you all have a good evening.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I'm beginning to think my short action 260 NULA and 243 RI is a dumb idea. LOL

They're both ridiculous. I'd unload 'em quick, before word gets out. Of course you'll have to slash the price.

PM sent.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kaleb,

OK! Glad we got past that.

I know you can take a lot of deer in Tennessee, and don't discount your experience there at all. I would probably choose something similar to your suggested choice--and actually have, since for a long time I hunted several states a year, including some in the South, though unfortunately not Tennessee.

Among other short-action cartridges I've used have been the .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .257 Ackley Improved (in a NULA), .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Remington, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester and .358 Winchester (both in a Savage 99 and a NULA). have used the .243 and both versions of the .257 Roberts more than any of the others, and took my biggest whitetail buck with the .257 AI. Have also had a Model 20 NULA in 7x57, which does work in the 3" magazine when handloaded, and even some factory loads will fit.

But have also used the .308 quite a bit, and over the past 12-15 years have come to really like the two 6.5's and 7mm-08 as well. Though right now my 7-08 is on loan to the daughter of a friend for deer and elk. (It's actually pretty popular as an elk round here.) It's a nifty little rifle, one of the tang-safety Ruger 77 Compacts rebarreled with a 22" #1 Douglas.

I don't consider a long-action cartridges necessary even for really big-bodied deer, but do kinda prefer them for hunting big deer in open country, partly because they can push bullets with higher BC's faster. Those cut down on wind-drift considerably, and it does blow out here now and then, both on the plains and in the mountains.

You have a good evening too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Though right now my 7-08 is on loan to the daughter of a friend for deer and elk. (It's actually pretty popular as an elk round here.) It's a nifty little rifle, one of the tang-safety Ruger 77 Compacts rebarreled with a 22" #1 Douglas.

That ought to be a sweet little number.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It is, since the Compact stock was so slim compared to the standard-weight stock. With a 6x36 Leupold in the factory Ruger rings it weighs 7-1/2 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This thread reminds me why I don't participate much in the 24HCF these days. It's kind of like everyone is drunk on a different kind of booze.

My good friend Johnny is apparently the only one with good sense and that's a bloody-damned fact.

Anyway, the long action/short action argument is all sillyshit. It simply gets down to killing critters and that's what counts.

Blessings,

Steve

PS. By the way, I hunted in Quebec with Melvin Forbes once. He was using a ULA .30-'06 which I bought from him later and I was using a .280 Ackley. Mel killed a lovely webbed-tined bull whose rack was later eaten by turtles in his fish pond grin

I killed an ancient heavy-antlered bull by shooting him in the face at twelve FEET and a HUGE/WIDE bull at fifty yards or so. Both were glorious bull caribou, killed within about five minutes of each other and chosen from an incredible number of animals that surrounded us.

Mel and I seemingly were apparently the only guys with sharp knives on the hunt ... we gutted twelve of the bulls that the gunny-writers shot together. Mel held caribou legs and kept shoving Red Man in my mouth while I was using my George Herron Number Two and pulling guts.

Layne Simpson was on the hunt and I believe it was the first for his 7STW. He got powder burns on both of his bulls ... killed them both at less than fifty yards grin Hell, a .30-30 would have worked as well.

ST

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kaleb,

So you've hunted deer mostly in Tennessee, killing a couple others elsewhere. Thanks for the information, that's what I wanted to know.

Seriously? So BobinNH has killed some sheit in other places, mostly all guided, and he's a stud.

I hear you and wife ain't too good on southern turkeys....

Last edited by Steelhead; 07/05/16.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
$3500!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle. Would also toss the 708 or one of the 6.5's in the running for a almost exclusive as you say deer rifle.

This got guys that worked up?

Changed to:

This led to all that?

(More of a declaration of surprise with disappointment, not wanting to claim anyone was worked up, or not. The above statement seems rather benign to me.)

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/05/16. Reason: Quoted before edit completed....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle. Would also toss the 708 or one of the 6.5's in the running for a almost exclusive as you say deer rifle.

This got guys that worked up?

Apparently Kaleb mostly hunts Tennessee, so he's pretty clueless.

The guy that kills one deer every 6 years in Maine knows far more about killing sheit than someone that piles up 20 poodle sized deer a year in the south.

I guess when you want to know about f&cking you ask a virgin...

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Lighter weight, shorter bolt throw, handier rifle, more scope mounting latitude. wink grin

Add to your list; less powder, less recoil, and with ballistic difference so minute they're only seen on paper.

For me, I'd never consider a long action for a dedicated deer rig.

BSA and Bob, no need to get personal with it.

Where the f*ck have you hunted...........

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Most of what we talk about on here makes no practical difference and is no big deal, but we all make personal gear choices for what we each do and how we hunt.

For a NULA or a rifle I'm packing, I'm firmly in the SA camp for reasons listed by Jordan, and CTSmith...

Sweet Jesus, WTF are you talking about. You don't write for a living and you sure as hell ain't got esquire after your name.

You must get your info from Cabelas..........

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle......

What a joke..... Please do tell what is inherently superior about a short action?

He's probably not kidding. Stick is so short that he has problems running a long action too. Must paddle in the same boat with the poor short bastid... You know those munchkins have to stick together.....

Read what was said you stupid old bastsrds. I said a well thought out..so tell me why you'd choose a long action while dreaming all this chit up for a light deer rifle. No reason to don't need to. Now I never said better you made that chit up idiot.

I'm not even responding to the bitch that turns everything into something about stick. Screw stick who why bring him up?...lol

Whatsamatter Cupcake?

You want to be the self anointed expert on what constitutes a well thought out deer rifle and tell the world it has to have a short action, which by implication means that any deer rifle with a "long" action is not "well thought out".

What a stupid thing to say.

So you get called on it and your panties get bunched. Poor baby. frown

Watch who you call a stupid old bastard you ignorant, young ,impudent dick head. I bet that super duper short action POS you hunt with didn't go a mile from the truck last year.....you kill any deer that dressed over 75 pounds?

BSA and I will hunt your ass into the ground if you're not careful LOL..... grin

What a tool. smirk

Have you paid for as much pussy as you have 'hunting experience'

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guess my NULA .257 Weatherby is disqualified as a deer rifle, even though the Model 28 action weighs almost half a pound less than a Remington 700 short action.

Yeah, that's exactly what they are saying. I'll bet Bob can mail you something to cure that hurt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You need a vacation.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by xp100
You need a vacation.

Why, because so many on here are showing their asses?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a time out could be useful here. Study this for a moment...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK, I studied it. Now I have to go throw up! sick

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob, John, BSA,
Thanks for taking the time to post those well thought out responses. If you guys were going for entertainment value, you knocked it out of the park.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just to mellow things down:

A Melvin Story

I forget what year it was, but in the mid-1980s, I got an invite to a gunwriter's hunt in Quebec. The George River caribou herd was at an all-time high and the prospects were excellent.

So I went.

One guy I going in was Melvin Forbes and though I'd visited him at the SHOT, I'd never hunted with him. Anyway, we got along well and had a lot of fun together.

Before the hunt was over, I bought that very rifle from him. Killed a sh1tload of elk with that .30-'06 and it was my one of my prime hunting tools for over a decade a decade. I never missed with the ULA and never shot twice on either elk or deer. Hell of a rifle.

A 24HCF member owns that fantastic ULA rifle now ... great guy from down Roseberg/Grant's Pass way.

True story.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.