You have shot some bigger deer than I have no doubt. You e also traveled to more places for sure. Keep in mind the state I hunt you can kill more than 3-4 deer a year. Not all those are 50lb fawns.

I've only shot one mature cow elk. Was pagosa springs 2 years ago. She was much bigger than any deer I've shot. Was a very fun trip with good folk.

I believe well thought out is no different than an opinion. Wouldn't you agree? So yes my opinion on a light deer rifle is using one of Mr. Forbes short actions. I didn't mean to bother him but a good friend and I probably got to talk with him atleast 45min(I know you've know him 45years or so). He told us the story of hunting caribou with Mr. Steve Timm in Canada and he took a 308. You might have been there too I don't know.

My opinion is a short action is a better choice for a light weight deer rifle. I also have long actions myself. I don't consider one a fool for choosing a long action even though I don't see the need in it for a deer rifle. I stand by this statement and do not mean to insult anyone. I don't think you'll find a better deer rifle than something based off a 22-250,x47,or 308 case pick caliber you prefer.

I hope you all have a good evening.