Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

But I look at the wood on most pre 64's,sigh, puke,and replace the stocks..

Hell they last a long time. smile

Well......that is either the first thing you've said to surprise me, OR the most surprising thing I've read from you.

Those pre 64 stocks were THE reason I never bought any. I understand $$$ but it seems to me they dropped a turd in the churn there.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

They have certainly done a nice job with the publication and although I may never go to Africa, I might subscribe just because I didn't see a single Glock or AR platform in the whole magazine...

Those 2 things could get me to subscribe and I dropped ALL my mags by 2000.

Thnx for the heads up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jerry the pre 64 stocks were serviceable in their day of iron sights,and the monte carlos were not bad but hardly ideal.

The bedding was nothing to write home about but the funny thing is many of the rifles still shot well because the barrels were so good and the barreled action laid flat and without a lot of tension.

But if I'm getting together a rifle I intend to use a lot, I buy a stock for it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob, I understand.

When I was 'parusing' Pre 64s, buying another stock was not an option for me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

I've even owned a pre-'64 or two that shot REALLY well with the forend screw tightened hard--as in 3-shot groups with all holes touching. And they would do it again and again. According to today's dogma, this is impossible!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John I had Swift like that! It shot some ridiculous 300 groups with the screw tightened.

Others have varied in whether the screw was tight or just firm or even removed,but that's to be expected.

My last 264 was a hammer with the screw just snugged.....not farmer tight! smile

I have two pre 64 FW's here with factory stocks,a 3006 and 270,and both shoot fine.I may leave them as is,currently having no need to change them out. smile

I did finally get SA and read the article which I enjoyed. You did a great job factually pulling together the sequence of M70 production and changes etc. I had forgotten lots of that myself!

I like the way you left the issue of the "best" M70 hanging out at the end... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/05/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you liked the article!

The variations that work with pre-'64 forend bedding are almost endless. One of the pre-'64's I didn't own, but restocked, belongs to a local friend. Back when Reinhart Fajen was still in business (and I still had time to do stock work) I put on a nicely figured Classic, checkering it in a traditional point pattern. But instead of messing with the forend screw I removed it, and simply bedded the forend completely. My buddy had messed with the forend screw, and had the rifle shooting pretty well, but after dumping the screw it started shooting little bughole groups with 150 Partitions! In fact, I seem to recall that its more accurate than any other pre-'64 in a big game chambering he's ever owned, and he's owned dozens.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did it stay sighted in?

Game can be taken with the first shot.

Target rifles must shoot groups.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Re the new Model 70's. I've handled a few of their supergrades. The finish on their receivers is just as horrible as anything produced in the last 30 years. It's aweful. Yes they are shiny, and that's about all that anyone will notice anyway.

Owned one? Shot one? Worked with one? Or just handled one? Not being contentious; just trying to clarify.

I'm left handed. They are not. I've handled and shot them. But quite frankly it isn't hard to spot rounded corners and dished polishing. I've spent hundreds of dollars putting defined lines back where they should be on "classics" and have to laugh when I hear that the newer ones are a much better product. They are basically the same minus a good trigger.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.