Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by smallfry
But you feel the need to defend 1911s, why? By all means spend time defending your flawless pistols, it's called a consciousness of guilt. I don't think most who have been around the block with pistols, think 1911s are even in the top 5 most reliable semi autos. Most of the posts by people who have reliable 1911s have consisted of owners lamenting the good old days of the flawless 1911, and how they aren't built that way now but "I gota 1911 that's worked flawless for years" an iffya get a good smith and dozen books you'll be ok. Talk about Stockholm syndrome with a pistol ffsake lmao. Congrats
There's no such thing as "the 1911," per se. It's a design pattern that's been out of patent from Colt for many decades. It's cobbled together (or carefully crafted and meticulously assembled), based loosely or strictly, on that design by dozens of companies, from parts made by dozens more companies, today. That's why it makes no sense at all to refer to "the 1911" in terms of its reliability vs something like a Glock or a Sig that's designed to be built, in house, from mass produced parts all produced by the manufacturer. Today, you can only compare a specific 1911 to one of those, not "the 1911."

Kinda like an AR.

Dave
Exactly.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
But you feel the need to defend 1911s, why? By all means spend time defending your flawless pistols, it's called a consciousness of guilt. I don't think most who have been around the block with pistols, think 1911s are even in the top 5 most reliable semi autos. Most of the posts by people who have reliable 1911s have consisted of owners lamenting the good old days of the flawless 1911, and how they aren't built that way now but "I gota 1911 that's worked flawless for years" an iffya get a good smith and dozen books you'll be ok. Talk about Stockholm syndrome with a pistol ffsake lmao. Congrats
There's no such thing as "the 1911," per se. It's a design pattern that's been out of patent from Colt for many decades. It's cobbled together (or carefully crafted and meticulously assembled), based loosely or strictly, on that design by dozens of companies, from parts made by dozens more companies, today. That's why it makes no sense at all to refer to "the 1911" in terms of its reliability vs something like a Glock or a Sig that's designed to be built, in house, from mass produced parts all produced by the manufacturer. Today, you can only compare a specific 1911 to one of those, not "the 1911."

Kinda like an AR.

Dave
Exactly.
Yep, I agree with that. Though you can summarize data from say 12 manufactures and make inferences. People this this in thier heads already. For example, the AK47 is generaly known as a reliable design regardless of the manufacture. But you are right you could have 10 new companies manufacturing Glocks that don't work worth a poo.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
It's a ego thing. Guys invest a lot of money in 1911's they have to say the work. Cooper said all professional gunmen use 1911...so it must be so.

I like the 1911 and wished they worked as advertised but they won't.

They are nice to look at though.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was being facetious.

So wuz I.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've got one 1911 that I've never had even the first problem with (knock on wood). Shoots POA/POI and just keeps on rolling.

It's the one arm's length from me in the bedroom with 4 extra mags and a flashlight with it.

It's a Kimber Classic Stainless. Only things I've done to it are night sights, ambi safety, and polish the feed ramp and chamber.

How can that even be possible???????

The smallguy says that likely you're just saying that & that you likely have a case of conscienceless guilt & besides, everyone knows there's no such thing as a reliable 1911. frown

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's the truth that scares 1911 owners $hitless. 90% of all 1911 conversations are about how to make it more reliable or defending the reliability of the 1911. Congrats?

And that conversation might well begin with the suggestion to first do no harm. Of those who can't seem to get a 1911 to be reliable, an astounding number of them begin by doing things that cause the problems. Witness Dink - taking a 1911 that was working fine with the current standard Colt design mag and putting a completely different design mag in it - to somehow make it better? Who does that with any other handgun? At least he didn't reach for the dremel....yet.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I got a Colt 1991A1 in the early 90s. At about 100 rounds the plunger tube came unstaked....this was my first 1911 platform and really p me off.....I thought this-"so much for Colt quality"...

That malfunction had nothing to do with how much knowledge anyone has about the platform.

That said, I have had some pro work done on it and have since aquired a Springfield mil-spec...still the easiest centerfire pistol to shoot well.

"an armed society is a polite society"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Raise your hands.

Who has polished the feed ramps?

Throw your tools away. Get another hobby.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've owned several 1911s and had no problem with any of them. All reliable and very accurate. I just don't like them.

So maybe I shouldn't own a 1911.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guess I hit the 1911 lottery. I have three and a Kimber Ultra Carry II is my EDC. After thousands of rounds with nary a hiccup or dime spent for repairs I think I might keep them.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Exactly.

Have you run into a lot of AR's that don't work?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Exactly.

Have you run into a lot of AR's that don't work?

Dave
No, but there are many examples out there of AKs that don't work, or break down quickly, and that's an excellent design for reliability when done right. Same for the 1911.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have plenty of reasons for considering the 1911 a POS.

Want me to name them?

Dave

Glad to see Im not the only one.

I hate 1911s like Redneck hates Model 700s... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Regarding the "skewering" of 1911 aficionados, I will simply say that this is something that goes far beyond the Model 1911 platform. Over the years I have noticed that there are some individuals on the various internet forums that take a perverse pleasure in knocking or deriding certain popular firearms or cartridges. Whenever I see someone extol the virtues of a particular firearm or cartridge, I can almost guarantee that a particular poster will weigh in with a derogatory commentary in a very short time. It is simply not enough for them to promote their perceived "ideal" firearm or cartridge, but they feel compelled to drag any dissenting opinion thru the mud. On another forum one particular poster (I see he is on this forum as well) has it in for the .45 Colt cartridge. Post something good about heavy loads for the .45 Colt (especially comparing it to .44 Magnum loads), and he will be trashing you and your loads in no time. Personally, there are several firearms and cartridges that I simply don't like (but don't hate) and will not own, but I refuse to spend any bandwidth trashing them. Just MHO.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 1911 - at least in its original calibers, the .45 and .38 Super - is extremely well balanced. It was ergonomic long before anyone coined the word, with a fine blend of power, handling qualities, accuracy, and concealability. It its day, it was a mechanical masterpiece, head and shoulders better than anything else. In the trenches of WWI the army discovered it was frequently more reliable than revolvers, which tended to get mud jammed in their cylinders.

I too own other pistols, but it is still a fine tool for many tasks. And in certain cases, in may help you get off the fastest, most accurate first few shots in a dire situation.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No, but there are many examples out there of AKs that don't work, or break down quickly, and that's an excellent design for reliability when done right. Same for the 1911.

That just proves the AK is also a POFS!

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That just proves the AK is also a POFS!

Dave
It proves that most American companies make chitty AK's. You don't see Russian, Bulgarian, or Chinese AK's go down pretty much ever.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe

Want me to name them?

Dave

I hate 1911s like Redneck hates Model 700s... grin

But...
But...
But, you have a Kimber 1911.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by ingwe

Want me to name them?

Dave

I hate 1911s like Redneck hates Model

700s... grin

But...
But...
But, you have a Kimber 1911.

He also has a 7x57.... my guess he likes obsolete antiquities

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gibby
Raise your hands.

Who has polished the feed ramps?

Throw your tools away. Get another hobby.

My RIA came with a butt ugly ramp. Not smooth at all. I bet that better than half of the 1911 haters on this forum would have attacked it with a dremel, and the majority of those would have rendered it nonfunctional. It still looks and is the same, and works just fine.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.