Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
For a hunting knife I bought a 6 inch Buck knife back in the late 80's. It has a rubber handle/nonslip. Once I took the Lanskey to it and put a fine edge on it, it has been a fantastic knife. Stays super sharp. I once split the rib cage on a mature Muley buck with it.

I just looked at their home page and didn't find that model, the woodsman is close.

As I read all the replies and suggestions, (thank y'all by the way) I realized I was looking for a good EDC folder with a belt/pocket clip.

On another note, I remember the Browning catalogs I used to collect. They always had some really nice knifes in there.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a benchmade Griptillian on the recommendation of 'flave.

Aside from the chipping, the rust and the warping in the blade, not to mention the cracking of the grips...it's been a great knofe

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gitem_12,

Buy this knife:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
viking,

For the price, Buck Knives are not bad.

As in all of life, we get what we pay.

Many, many years ago I was taught to look at steel before going any further. Then look at fit. If it's a folding knife, does the blade rest in the center when closed? When it's opened, is it solid? If it's a straight knife, does the steel extend all the way to the end of the handle?

For years, I've used only this knife when hunting the Rockies:

[Linked Image]

When I hunt elk, I'll take it and a Solingen Boker straight knife.

Buck knives are good value, though.

My advice is to go with Solingen steel followed by Japanese steel.

I'd also recommend investing in an Ardennes sharpening stone.

Last edited by SakoAV; 07/21/16.
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I like that folder.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My reply about the gripillion was tongue in cheek.

I absolutely love benchmade knives

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Morning, viking,

Thanks.

My Solingen Boker 2002 hasn't let me down. It's gotta be 25 years old. It's hard to put a sharp edge on it because its steel is very hard. But once I get an edge on it, it'll stay sharp for a long time.

Check www.dvor.com & www.opticsplanet.com

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski

The edge retention capability of a steel isn't subjective.

It wouldn't be under controlled lab conditions but that is the problem. In the real world, a myriad of variables come into play that will shape opinions on the subject which then get shared on the internet mixed with a great amount of hyperbole. IMO the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies here in a big way. This thread is rife with anecdotal evidence and guesses. I contributed some myself.

YMMV! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Northwestalaskunt,

I already answered the OP's question with my first response.

And unlike your butt-fugking ass, I didn't have to type about any POS Marbles knife or a retard's idea of a "custom" knife made by some Sleestack in AK.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

That's actually how he got a vagina to start with....

PS....I have an Old Timer......surprised?

You're young at heart.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by add

Gunsmith?

Missed that one.

Read right here he was a hired snuffer!

Yeah.

"Precision pistolsmith." The kind nobody has ever heard of. They're usually the best.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I've got a Griptilian and an Apparition. Both well-made. Neither carry comfortably (Griptilian not flat enough, Apparition too heavy.

Kershaw Leek's are nice, and made in USA, but the blade profile sucks for any kind of skinning task.

For $31.95, this is a heck of a knock-around carry knife, and you won't cry if you lose it. Useful blade profile. Oh, and it's D2 steel. Made in Taiwan (at least it ain't China).No, jackazzes, I don't know what the Rockwell hardness is, or the quality of the heat treatment.....

ontario Rat D2

If you grow a set of testicle they will offset the weight of the benchmades

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Yeah.

"Precision pistolsmith." The kind nobody has ever heard of. They're usually the best.

It's pretty obvious, we need a "best tactical/hunting knife" video..

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by deflave
If any of you have $100 laying around, Big 5 Sporting Goods has the H&K by Benchmade folders for $19.99 again.

Thanks for [b][color:#3333FF]posting that[/color][/b], I always miss that deal, not today.

Sale Ends 7/23

Looks like the free shipping is over with now

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember when the Buck folding Hunters and Rangers were so big...

Now you can get a 404 Stainless knife from China for $5.

It's easy to get good steel now. It is possible to get very good steel now, and I (a steel luddite) put ATS34 in that category.

What you are paying for is craftsmanship and scale material. My EDC is a Gerber liner lock knife in ATS 34, with carbon fiber scales, made in Taiwan. Workmanship is very good and it cost me about $75. Worth every penny to me.

Before that, I carried a Klotzli (small shop in Switzerland) liner lock folder with CF scales. It cost about $230. The difference between these two knives is very evident. It's sort of like looking through a good set of $500 binoculars, then looking through the same size Swaros.

You just go "Damn." Then you know what all the fuss is about.

I've had one Benchmade and it cost less than $100. I sent it back, unimpressed. But that Klotzli, and my current Gerber, are worth every penny.

I've also had a couple ProTech auto knives, and they are worth the coin.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As for the old Bucks, I love 'em.

But there's NFW it is worth it to invest that many grams in a folding knife for general field use. A knife of half the weight will get it done nicely.

The Buck is indispensable for Dukes of Hazard cosplay, though smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never seen any Cold Steel product I would own. They're like blocks of cheap stainless steel with splitting-maul grinds and black paint.

But if you value heft, they deliver.

They make me think of car leaf springs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SakoAV
viking,

I bought this knife about a year ago for quartering elk. I paid about 200 bucks for it. It's made in Soligen, Germany. The price I paid was almost half of retail. While it was still pricey, it's worth the cost when having to cut through heavy big game.

I didn't buy it at the above link. I got it at Optics Planet. It was on sale with an additional 10% off. So I jumped on it.

Japanese is good steel. But Soligen is generally considered the best steel.

Less expensive knives will cause a lot frustration.
You paid an awful lot for the stag handle and waaay too much for 440C blade steel. Don't get me wrong 440C ain't bad but it's hardly a "high end" blade steel these days. Generally the Germans are behind the times in blade steel today although there are exceptions and some do use higher grade steels like ATS-34. Although alot depends on good heat treatment there's only so far you can get with a lower grade steel and good heat treat. On the other hand, a high end blde steel with substandard heat treat isn't going to perform as well as a mediocre steel with good heat treat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone here used the Kershaw Cryo or Cryo II in either stainless, or with the Blackwash finish...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Never seen any Cold Steel product I would own. They're like blocks of cheap stainless steel with splitting-maul grinds and black paint.

But if you value heft, they deliver.

They make me think of car leaf springs.

I bought a CS Bushman when they sold for 18 bucks (probably 20+ years ago). As a beat the crap out of it camp knife, it ain't bad.

The rest, like you say, not a lot of finesse to admire.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,537 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.