Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 308cal
[/color]This will be a hunting rifle[color:#FF6666], and I am sentimental to rifles, so I will most likely never sale it. I am not necessarily building it on a budget, I have just wheeled and dealed my way into some inexpensive components for it. I will get it blueprinted, because someone pointed out to me that although the older 700s like this one have better quality metal, they are not as straight as some of the newer rifles. I got the bolt, not for fear of losing the handle, but because I could buy a larger bolt body, to tighten up the tolerances and get rid of some of the slop like the old bolt had. It has taken a while to put all the parts together, but I have not been in a hurry, and as I said before, I have wheeled and dealed. As of right now my total investment before any gunsmithing, in the 700 action, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, and VX-6 3-18x44 is a whopping $14.40.

Since it's a 'Hunting Rifle' and not a target gun then consider an action design that's made for hunting with CRF and a three position M70 type safety that secures the firing pin.

I use Rem's for target with my 40X's and Hepburn however the mauser/M70 type are for hunting and defense.

I will look for a pic. of a jammed push feed!

Jammed push feed action

"Controlled Feed

Professional hunters and those who have a lot of experience hunting African dangerous game with bolt action rifles usually favor controlled feed designs, such as the Mauser Model 98, Ruger Model 77 Mk. II, and Winchester Classic Model 70. These use full length Mauser pattern extractors that capture the rim of the case as it is pushed out of the magazine and positively align the case with the chamber (hence "controlled feed").

A Mauser type action will feed correctly with the rifle held at any angle or even upside down. Not usually a consideration, it might be if the hunter has been bowled over by a grizzly bear and is trying to operate the action as he rolls on the ground. Also, controlled feed prevents double feeds. When the extractor has captured one cartridge, a second cannot leave the magazine without the first being ejected. Either way, only one cartridge makes it into the chamber. With a push feed action, incorrect operation (double stroking) the bolt can result in two cartridges trying to enter the chamber at once, jamming the rifle.

Not that push feed rifles such as the Browning A-Bolt II, Remington Model 700, Sako Model 75, Savage Model 110 series, and Weatherby Mark V are not perfectly acceptable for most purposes. But the tiny margin of extra feeding reliability credited to the controlled feed design gives it the advantage in a rough and tumble situation.

Extraction

Full length, Mauser pattern extractors not only increase feeding reliability, they take a bigger bite on the rim of the fired case, making the extraction of dirty or oversize cases more certain. Actions such as the Weatherby Mark V, which use shorter and smaller claws, are reputed to be next best for extracting balky cases. And actions like the Remington Model 700, which uses a circlip extractor in the bolt face, have the least extraction bite.

None of these later designs take as positive a grip on the case rim as a Mauser claw extractor, making failures to extract slightly more likely. I have used many brands of bolt action rifles over the years, most without full length extractors, and only one gave feeding or extraction problems (a Remington). I can live with that record, but then I don't make my living protecting clients from charging beasts, either.

Ejection

For a dangerous game rifle, a plunger ejector in the bolt face (as per Remington, Weatherby, and most other push feed actions) is a positive advantage. It always ejects the fired case clear of the action regardless of how slow the bolt is operated. With a fixed ejector (used in the Mauser 98 and most other controlled feed actions) it is possible to open the bolt too slowly to fully eject the fired case. This can result in a jam if the bolt is then run forward without clearing the fired case.

Another weakness of the fixed ejector is that it can be damaged or bent if unfired, very heavy cartridges such as the .458 Lott or .416 Rigby are extracted and ejected smartly. This has happened when emptying the magazines of controlled feed rifles with blind magazine floorplates. Contrary to the sentiments of traditionalists, the plunger ejector is more positive, if less convenient for reloaders.

Another consideration is the size of the ejection port. For both ejection and loading a single cartridge, the bigger the better. The modern trend is toward small ejection ports. These make for a stiffer and theoretically more accurate action, but their primary advantage is reduced manufacturing costs. Actions like the Steyr-Mannlicher and Tikka T3 are the worst offenders, and should be avoided. The Remington 700 has a noticeably smaller ejection port than the Mauser 98, Ruger M77, Weatherby Mark V, Weatherby Vanguard, or Winchester Model 70. Any of the latter are faster to single load. The large loading/ejection port is also an advantage at the rifle range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by 308cal
[/color]This will be a hunting rifle[color:#FF6666], and I am sentimental to rifles, so I will most likely never sale it. I am not necessarily building it on a budget, I have just wheeled and dealed my way into some inexpensive components for it. I will get it blueprinted, because someone pointed out to me that although the older 700s like this one have better quality metal, they are not as straight as some of the newer rifles. I got the bolt, not for fear of losing the handle, but because I could buy a larger bolt body, to tighten up the tolerances and get rid of some of the slop like the old bolt had. It has taken a while to put all the parts together, but I have not been in a hurry, and as I said before, I have wheeled and dealed. As of right now my total investment before any gunsmithing, in the 700 action, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, and VX-6 3-18x44 is a whopping $14.40.

Since it's a 'Hunting Rifle' and not a target gun then consider an action design that's made for hunting with CRF and a three position M70 type safety that secures the firing pin.

I use Rem's for target with my 40X's and Hepburn however the mauser/M70 type are for hunting and defense.

I will look for a pic. of a jammed push feed!

It won't be your picture, because you don't actually do anything.

As for your advice on "hunting"; you might as well offer advice on flying to the moon - because you don't do either and that's well known.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.