Hop To
Page 60 of 70 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 69 70
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Brad
The best elk rifle is whatever the best elk hunter has in his hands.

Exactly. I think some could get it done with a wrist rocket.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Most of the guys I know with several big bulls on the wall shoot some sort of magnum, usually 30 caliber.

Is that cause, or effect?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I've always found that finding a big bull is harder than killing a big bull...

That's usually the case with any BG animal.

PS: Talking about recoil tolerance just injects a variable that can't be quantified and clouds the issue of which cartridges are best suited for heavy ungulates,especially as distances stretch-out, because it varies with the individual. I notice a very strong tendency on here for people to try to make a case that no one can handle 300-338 level recoil,supposedly even with reasonable practice. This is mostly horse poop.

If a guy cant handle or decides to avoid 300-338 level recoil that's his choice and his issue.Maybe he needs to practice more, or more intelligently because anyone who practices with a hard recoiling rifle until it hurts is stupid.

But I won't listen too hard to his arguments that a little standard case cartridge is "as good" as a 300 magnum at distance....it isn't. The bigger cartridges and heavier bullets at high velocity simply inflict more trauma and bust up heavy bones better than anything smaller.

I say a lot of this TIC because things like the 270-280 are among my favorite cartridges and I'd probably hunt elk with either one anywhere smile (And I no longer even own a 300 magnum).

But I won't BS myself that either one is in the same class as a 300 Weatherby or a 338 when it comes to game elk sized and up....they aren't.

whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I notice a very strong tendency on here for people to try to make a case that no one can handle 300-338 level recoil,supposedly even with reasonable practice. This is mostly horse poop.

I hadn't noticed that Bob, maybe you could point out where anyone has made the case that no one can handle "300-338 level" recoil?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I notice a very strong tendency on here for people to try to make a case that no one can handle 300-338 level recoil,supposedly even with reasonable practice. This is mostly horse poop.

I hadn't noticed that Bob, maybe you could point out where anyone has made the case that no one can handle "300-338 level" recoil?

I've noticed it.

You read it all the time with the condescending nonsense about how people can't manage recoil and therefore a 300 magnum is a lousy choice.

Hell I've even said it myself at times LOL!

That's despite spending a couple of decades hunting elk with 300 magnums..... grin

I am not going to waste my time chasing down and citing specific examples.....this is a discussion forum, not an examination. We don't get paid for this crap.. wink

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am not going to waste my time chasing down and citing specific examples.....this is a discussion forum, not an examination. We don't get paid for this crap.. wink

That would be a colossal waste of your time, because you wouldn't find what you're looking for.

And you're right, this is a discussion forum, we discuss all kinds of opinions. This thread is the classic example of that; what could be more subjective than the "best" cartridge for a particular big game animal?

There are all manner of opinions on these kinds of subjects, some can be argued and some can't. But a common thread on this forum is, if you throw out a red herring (or a straw man in your case) you'll probably get challenged on it.

Then you can either back it up, or not. That's what a discussion forum is for, right? To discuss things.

It's funny to see a guy toss out a classic straw man, get called on it, refuse to back up his position, all the while saying that others are full of "horse poop." Classic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I didn't throw out a straw man...I simply stated where I think a 300 Weatherby performs on elk as compared to smaller cartridges.

Based on my own observations and personal experiences with both classes of cartridges used on bull elk a good deal, that's what I believe.

You might regard that as an obligation to debate further but I don't.... grin

Waste of time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the guys I know with several big bulls on the wall shoot some sort of magnum, usually 30 caliber.

Is that cause, or effect?

I think most of them know how hard you work for a big bull and don't want to have to pass on a shot because their rifle is not up to snuff.

Call it whatever you want.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't throw out a straw man...

Yes you did, it was a classic strawman, here's the definition:

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.

Here's your strawman, no one advanced this argument except you:

And here's where you "refute" the argument that you just put forward:

If a guy cant handle or decides to avoid 300-338 level recoil that's his choice and his issue.Maybe he needs to practice more, or more intelligently because anyone who practices with a hard recoiling rifle until it hurts is stupid.

But I won't listen too hard to his arguments that a little standard case cartridge is "as good" as a 300 magnum at distance....it isn't. The bigger cartridges and heavier bullets at high velocity simply inflict more trauma and bust up heavy bones better than anything smaller.

It's a prototypical straw man. No sense in denying it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gee smokepole, not that Bob needs a defense from me, but he is one of the most reasonable and cordial people on here.

Anybody can use what they want and good shooting, but Bob didn't just advance his opinion, he expressed a physical reality. And I think it's safe to say that the magnum 30's [/b]are[b] often mentioned as a recoil threshold many don't want to go beyond. The '06 has even been mentioned as being at that level by different writers for decades now.

Anyway, what is it, seventeen pages? Pretty incredible but I do realize there are young and new folks reading who can benefit and learn so all's good.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
And I think it's safe to say that the magnum 30's [/b]are[b] often mentioned as a recoil threshold many don't want to go beyond.

Very true, in fact, I mentioned something along those lines myself. That's much different than "no one can handle 300-338 level recoil."

No one has said that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
200 gr AB. At 3050.....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Agreed, if a hunter can't shoot a gun well because of the recoil and blast, a gun with less of both is probably a better choice.

This is a fallacy. I have a 300 Weatherby, it shoots bugholes and of course if I couldn't shoot it, it wouldn't be shooting bugholes. I can shoot it just fine, same as my .375 Ruger, .358 WSM (that one recoils fast) and a .338 I sold not too long ago.

I just don't enjoy shooting those rifles as much as rifles chambered in milder rounds or toting them in the mountains for that matter. Especially during the kind of range sessions where you shoot enough to improve your skills.

So I shoot rifles I enjoy shooting. They kill just fine.

And while it's true that I could practice with the milder rounds and switch to the magnums for the hunt, I see no need to so I don't. It's not rocket science.

I'm pretty sure he was saying their are folks out their i.e. Not you that can't shoot magnums very accurately and probably should shoot something that's not so bad in the recoil department.. Every year yahoos show up from the lower 48 to Alaska with cannons i.e. 416's, 375's to hunt Brn bears and they flinch so [bleep] bad they can't hit [bleep]. They be better served shooting a 30-06 using 180gr partitions. Not everyone is like you and can handle the recoil of a 300 weatherby.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty sure the perennial straw man creator, Coyote Hunter, was the one who started throwing recoil tolerance into the mix on this thread.

He doesn't own a 300 WBY, so it cannot be considered a viable elk round, much less "nothing better" as the thread title states.

Of course, if he owned one, it would be the best choice and he would slouch down to peck out 16 paragraphs in every post about how it is the absolute ultimate elk round and nothing else should be considered.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, but only with A-frames or North Forks.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure the perennial straw man creator, Coyote Hunter, was the one who started throwing recoil tolerance into the mix on this thread.

He doesn't own a 300 WBY, so it cannot be considered a viable elk round, much less "nothing better" as the thread title states.

Of course, if he owned one, it would be the best choice and he would slouch down to peck out 16 paragraphs in every post about how it is the absolute ultimate elk round and nothing else should be considered.

Lol well that is a very true statement as well..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Does your mother know she raised a fool?

When determining the 'best' of anything you have to take individual preferences and capabilities into account. The OP has this to say about the .300WBY:
"High but manageable recoil..."
"Almost unlimited bullet selection..."
"widely universal availability of factory ammo"
"Why undergun yourself with lesser armament...?
"or overrun yourself with higher recoil?"

There are plenty of people who can't handle the recoil of a .30-06, let alone a .300 WBY. Many people would consider the lower recoil to be a significant advantage for other cartridges with recoil they can actually manage.

For reloaders, bullet selection is the same as for other cartridges that use 308" bullets. No advantage to the .300WBY for reloaders.

Midwayusa shows 87 factory loads available for the .30-06 plus another 14 on backorder. The .308 Win shows availability for 96 factory loads with 19 on backorder. For the .300WBY midway shows 22 factory loads available, period. The cost of .30-06 factory ammo is also substantially less in most cases. Other cartridges also have a big advantage over the .300WBY in terms of availability. The advantage goes to the other cartridges.

"undergun" is a qualitative judgment that many people would disagree with but, that aside, no one I know feels "undergunned" for elk when they using any of a number of other "lesser" cartridges. For those who prefer less recoil the advantage goes to the "lesser" cartridges.

Using a .300WBY is to "overrun yourself with higher recoil" for those who haven't learned how to, prefer not to, for physical reasons cannot or for any other reasons choose not to manage or deal with the recoil of a .300WBY. For them the advantage again goes to "lesser" cartridges.

If I owned a .300WBY it would be like my other rifles. It would get used some years and not others. I've never considered or claimed any cartridge to be the "absolute ultimate elk round" and never suggested that "nothing else should be considered".

Say "Hi" to the men in white coats.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen a fish that so reliably and eagerly takes the bait. Too bad they can't genetically engineer a CH trout species.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You wouldn't enjoy fishing for it.

Catching it would be like reading one of his posts. It'd take you an hour to reel it in, then you'd realize you'd been fighting a huge whitefish the whole time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread reminds me of what a professor said about academia... "the fights are so vicious because the stakes are so low."

Carry on...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 60 of 70 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.