Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Can you say front and rear lockers? No tire will do that without them.
Bullshyt. I've driven miles through 12-14" of snow with my '04 Grand Cherokee and before that my '98 Explorer with no lockers and no chains.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Bullshyt. I've driven miles through 12-14" of snow with my '04 Grand Cherokee and before that my '98 Explorer with no lockers and no chains.

Around here 12-14 " is just a skiff of snow

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of those drifts were as high as the top of his tires, 30" +.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

It is here too. We sometimes get 3-4 feet in one storm.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some of those drifts were as high as the top of his tires, 30" +.
I've driven through drifts that deep on my way to work in the morning many times. Most of what he's driving through in that video isn't up to the bottom of his doors and it's flat ground. No big deal. Coming up my driveway after work when it's been snowing hard all day is more of a challenge.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I talked to a Forest Ranger last year who had them on his patrol pick-up. He loved them. He was the only one with them on, he said, and never gets stuck whereas the other rangers with other types of ATs are getting stuck or can't go where he does.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Coopers are very noisy on my suburban...
I just bought a 97 Chevy with wore out uniroial lerados..still drive nice and quiet...I'll be replacing them with another set...made by mischlin...so there you go...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Years ago I ran the wrangler. And they were crap...sidewall gave out before tread...same on my buddy's ranger...never do that again...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm going to need four new M&S tires for my 98 Dodge Ram 2500 before hunting season.

I haul a 1500 # camper, and a 3 horse slant mule trailer that weighs about 6500 # loaded.Truck weighs about 7500#. I have a load leveler hitch. About 15.5K # total.

I am presently running Goodyear Duratracks M&S 8 Ply,but the side walls are too soft even at 75 pounds pressure.

Your problems isn't the Duratracks, it's that you're running a load range D tire (8 ply) on a truck that came with E's (10 ply).

I've got a 98 dodge 2500 diesel, it came with E's and I've always put them back on there. Never had a problem.

A friend has a 2000 dodge 2500 diesel and when he wore out his factory tires he tried to go cheap with D's. I told him not to but the tire guy said it'd work fine, he didn't listen to me and put the D's on anyway. He couldn't get them off quick enough, they wallowed all over the place pulling his horse trailer.

Put some 10 plys on there.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm going to need four new M&S tires for my 98 Dodge Ram 2500 before hunting season.

I haul a 1500 # camper, and a 3 horse slant mule trailer that weighs about 6500 # loaded.Truck weighs about 7500#. I have a load leveler hitch. About 15.5K # total.

I am presently running Goodyear Duratracks M&S 8 Ply,but the side walls are too soft even at 75 pounds pressure.

Your problems isn't the Duratracks, it's that you're running a load range D tire (8 ply) on a truck that came with E's (10 ply).

I've got a 98 dodge 2500 diesel, it came with E's and I've always put them back on there. Never had a problem.

A friend has a 2000 dodge 2500 diesel and when he wore out his factory tires he tried to go cheap with D's. I told him not to but the tire guy said it'd work fine, he didn't listen to me and put the D's on anyway. He couldn't get them off quick enough, they wallowed all over the place pulling his horse trailer.

I am running "E"'s for the Duratracks. I mispoke when I typed 8 ply.They are indeed 10 ply.I checked yesterday to make sure that wasn't my problem.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I am running "E"'s for the Duratracks. I mispoke when I typed 8 ply.They are indeed 10 ply.I checked yesterday to make sure that wasn't my problem.

I figured that was the case. I'm even running 10 ply (load range E) duratracs on my 1/2 ton GMC...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The current tires on my Excursion are Michelin LTX M/S 2. My truck weights around 8000 pounds. I up-sized with this tire from the stock 265 to 285 size, load range E of course. I don't even run the max air pressure because I don't tow anything heavy. No wallow from over flexing sidewalls. Checking the reviews on Tire Rack you'll find they work great on snow and ice, as good or better than most. These tires are very round and took very little weight to balance. I've rotated them a couple times.

They have around 80,000 miles on them, with another 5000 to 10,000 to go. For my use, there is no better tire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How do the Michelins do in mud? I don't get in it often but often enough to need something that won't just clog up to leave me with racing slicks.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Another question. I see some of the recomendations are mud tires ,not M&S. What is the difference?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go Cooper ST Max.

Hankook ATM

Or the good Toyo version. M55?

I've heard the Toyo's hold up well on gravel but are fairly hard and might slide more on ice.

Hankook's are tougher than hell and offer pretty good highway traction on slick/icy highways.

Cooper's kinda in between.

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/07/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another question. I see some of the recomendations are mud tires ,not M&S. What is the difference?
I run all terrain tires on my 4x4's all year round. Alot of all terrains are M&S rated but don't have the snowflake rating of a true snow/winter tire. A true winter tire with the snowflake will be made of a softer rubber comound that is supposed to offer increased traction on packed snow and ice. They usually have silica added to the rubber which is supposed to offer more grip on ice and usually have holes for studs for the same reason. Truthfully, I've found some all terrains to be better in the snow than some winter tires and a good all terrain like the General Grabber AT2's I have on my Jeep to be superior in deep snow to any winter tire I've ever run. True winter tires, because of the softer rubber compound, also wear much quicker on bare roads than an all terrain, particularly on hot pavement.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I run all terrain tires on my 4x4's all year round. Alot of all terrains are M&S rated but don't have the snowflake rating of a true snow/winter tire. A true winter tire with the snowflake will be made of a softer rubber comound that is supposed to offer increased traction on packed snow and ice. They usually have silica added to the rubber which is supposed to offer more grip on ice and usually have holes for studs for the same reason. Truthfully, I've found some all terrains to be better in the snow than some winter tires and a good all terrain like the General Grabber AT2's I have on my Jeep to be superior in deep snow to any winter tire I've ever run. True winter tires, because of the softer rubber compound, also wear much quicker on bare roads than an all terrain, particularly on hot pavement.

Thanks .Knew about the softer rubber

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
BFG All-Terrain KO2

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Don't worry. You'll never be able to do what blackheart can do with substandard equipment. He'll do it better, and faster. Just ask him...friggin Yankee.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone

Don't worry. You'll never be able to do what blackheart can do with substandard equipment. He'll do it better, and faster. Just ask him...friggin Yankee.
Just because you suck at everything doesn't mean everybody does. Better keep that gov't job. They're used to substandard performance and your stupid fat ass wouldn't make it anywhere else.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.