Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
So sad that some of you guys have not had some contact with some of the real down to the basics, New Testament local churches that I have. Small in number of members, but big in their love for the Lord and the Scriptures. And happily devoid of many of the trappings that you dislike.

Don't quit looking yet. It might be the one with the unpaved parking lot and shingles that need replacing. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Looking at the world today makes me think the end may be closer to now than it was 2,000 years ago.

With that said, I'll close with my favorite Jefferson quote:

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

For those of us who are simple minded it appears that Mr. Jefferson is as close to the redeemer as we will ever get.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
So sad that some of you guys have not had some contact with some of the real down to the basics, New Testament local churches that I have. Small in number of members, but big in their love for the Lord and the Scriptures. And happily devoid of many of the trappings that you dislike.

Don't quit looking yet. It might be the one with the unpaved parking lot and shingles that need replacing. blush

Yep, the true church, whether down the two-track lane or otherwise and only five folks, is the one preaching Christ as Lord and Savior.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're welcome.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
speaking of prophecy, an older lady working as a pharm tech in a nearby pharmy told me one day that all True Christians would be far better off dead.

now, that's an encouraging thought to hear when dropping by to pick up a bag of medicine.

A couple of thoughts:
(1.) Regarding the "encouraging thought," you need not assume she regards you as a Christian, so there's likely no suicide capsule in the prescription you picked up.
(2.) She was not speaking prophetically at all. Paul's letter to the Philippians is not placed in the prophetic category. She was merely reflecting on what he said in Philippians 3:21-24:

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
My church does very little prophesy of any kind. The only time I hear of end times a Jahovahs ""Wittnesses."" as people that predicted end times . I dont worry about end times but worry about the way our country is heading and seems to be leading to the end times prophesies. And Steelhead, ya can't really say prophesies are equal to a cartoon book. Isaiah 17 sais Damascus will be a heap of rubble. Go on Yahoo images and look up Damascus. There are heaps of rubble all over the place. Bombed out buildings, just piles of rock. How did scripture writings 3,000 yrs ago know this? Also, Isaiah 18-19 talks about the Nile River drying up. Has not happened yet . Dont mean it won't happen. And if my faith in Christ is a fallacy and there is no hell or heaven , I won't know the difference anyway. If my faith is right the skeptics here are in for a big surprise. There is no way for me to loose. You may say I "blew my money " tithing. I say the unsaved blow their money on alcahol ( a poison according to MSDS) cigarettes , ( tar in your lungs) and addictive nicotine, strip bars , drunk driving tickets ETC. ( At least tithe is tax deductible , snicker) .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno',....Obsession's am area to avoid, in my view.
Phrophesy ?
Makes for good folk music....

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think if IIRC, the Bible is God's innerant Word and Special Revelation.

Apparently, though, you have decided differently.

You are creating a division among believers that need not be there.

When you go beyond the two Great Commandments in search of "more knowledge", you are traveling with your head as a companion and - by implication - claiming you have fulfilled those TWO.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The way I look at it I don't DO prophecy or DWELL on it to the distraction of things more important and pressing; however, a good part of the Bible--say 25-30%--is prophecy or prophecy related. Now a lot of those have already literally been fulfilled.

For example, the Septuagint (an OT translation) written some three hundred years before Christ has some prophecies ( folks disagree on the exact number), let's say conservatively fifty, that describe Christ so specifically that statisticians say the chance any other person could have fulfilled those is so low as to be non-existent. For you doubters, you might ask how that could be.

And the OT is full of references to Christ and other prophecies that have been fulfilled. The implication then is, those unfulfilled will also be...but there is disagreement among Christians as to the how, where, and in what fashion. For example, that's where EFW, TRH and I disagree but I a not dogmatic about it as there are a lot of brilliant theologians on both sides of the fence on how to interpret these scriptures and hence what they mean.

But, Jesus did say to "know the seasons" or what we might describe as the birth pangs of the last times so that is why it is also important to look at these scriptures like those in Daniel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Joel, and Revelation, etc, not to pick dates for Christ's return or for the Rapture (which is foolishness) but to be aware--have circumstantial awareness of the times in regard to what the Bible says. Who would not agree for example that our nation is generally on a trajectory of degradation from its beginnings?

Why? What is happening? What are the implications of multinationalism, multiculturalism? Talk of a common international currency? What is behind the consolidation of power by our government and among governments with international agencies and governing bodies? This is not just paranoia or whacked out conspiracy theorizing either.

Regardless, Christ is the focal point of both Old and New Testaments and He will be again at the Second Advent when He will come as the Lion of Judah and judge of all and all injustice, not as the lamb to the slaughter as He did when first He came. Our salvation is through Him and Him only amd I would desire all who have not believed to seriously consider that today.

I'm 67 and am reminded daily by those I know, and read about (includinghere) that life is very tenuous and really quite short; we never know when we will die or be told we soon will so today is the next, best time to accept that Cnrist paid a personal price for you and to trust Him as Lord and Savior.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570

When you go beyond the two Great Commandments in search of "more knowledge", you are traveling with your head as a companion and - by implication - claiming you have fulfilled those TWO.

The search continues for many of us.

One can hold to the understanding of the thief on the cross (that is that we are incapable of loving God and neighbor apart from Christ's redeeming work) plus a little more and still recognize we have not "arrived".

There have been many saints down through the ages who have proven that in spades.

Fact is, I've observed as much self-righteousness from the "two great commandments" crowd as I have from those who go well beyond what I consider justified by scripture. Why?

Because we are all sinners still looking for Adam & Eve's dream of being God rather than accepting our limitations and God's gracious gift in Christ. It's the human condition; we're all just like our first parents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think if IIRC, the Bible is God's innerant Word and Special Revelation.

Apparently, though, you have decided differently.

Cur dog, how so? Do you deny what I stated about God's Word? If what you say is true then why didn't God just stop with the Two Great Commamdments? Why all of the rest of the scriptures?

I suspect I understand a bit of your intent and if so I agree and strongly disagree with those folks whose "faith" becomes only an academic exercise or who go blindly down some road to occultism or to cult formation but generally I look upon the Word of God as a gold mine that is impossible to for us to completely exhaust while we become even more in awe of who and what God is and what He did for us..

Are what you saying that all the theologians from Paul to Augustine to Luther and Calvin were wrong in studying Gods Word and that it was a waste of time?

I Would strongly disagree with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
This, is the reason I don't go to church, a bunch of back sliding hypocrites, BS con artists and betty-better-than-me's. crazy
They can kiss my red ass while riding their tall horses starring down their noses at the rest of the world.

They've (Christians AND their churches) done a pretty poor job as a whole. With 83% of Americans professing to be Christians (about 250 MILLION people), you'd think that things would be WAY better here than they are. You'd think that these folks, collectively, would be a HUGE influencial and driving force. But they're not. If all of these Christians would simply do what Jesus did, it would have a profound postive impact on this country in a years time. People don't resist Christians because they love others too much. People don't resist Christians because they are too welcoming of others. People don't resist Christians because they are too willing to carry others people's burdens. People don't resist Christians because they're so forgiving and so open and so gracious.
What people find so easy to resist about Christians is the hypocrisy and the 'we know it all, and we're better than y'all' attitude that many of em' seem to have.

People don't resist Christianity because of Jesus...people resist Christianity because of Christians.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is certainly some truth to that but it is far from the whole story on why "things are not better than they are".

While what you say contains some truth you oversimplify to the point that what you say or imply is badly in error.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gunner500
This, is the reason I don't go to church, a bunch of back sliding hypocrites, BS con artists and betty-better-than-me's. crazy
They can kiss my red ass while riding their tall horses starring down their noses at the rest of the world.

They've (Christians AND their churches) done a pretty poor job as a whole. With 83% of Americans professing to be Christians (about 250 MILLION people), you'd think that things would be WAY better here than they are. You'd think that these folks, collectively, would be a HUGE influencial and driving force. But they're not. If all of these Christians would simply do what Jesus did, it would have a profound postive impact on this country in a years time. People don't resist Christians because they love others too much. People don't resist Christians because they are too welcoming of others. People don't resist Christians because they are too willing to carry others people's burdens. People don't resist Christians because they're so forgiving and so open and so gracious.
What people find so easy to resist about Christians is the hypocrisy and the 'we know it all, and we're better than y'all' attitude that many of em' seem to have.

People don't resist Christianity because of Jesus...people resist Christianity because of Christians.

Doing Christian things is really helping Europe out, but it doesn't matter, they'll be rewarded in the afterlife I guess.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
To the above post. I have heard this all my life, and at the same time watching these people criticize christians they are every bit as bad and think nothing of it. Matter of fact, non chrisitan look for anything about the fault of a christian so they can judge them. If you judge someone, you better be and have little if any shortfalls yourself. This post is a perfect example. It started out about bible prophesy and it turns into a bitch session from non christians about christian. If you dont like us , or the thread there are plenty others on 24 hr to go to. Why are you non christians even here if ya can't stand us hypocrites? DOnt think us christian do much ? Our church supports a christian church in Iran, Cuba and Ireland. During Katrina there were church groups all over helping. I didn't think there were any atheist , or non christian , muslim, J.W. , groups there. After this mess in Louisiana I am sure many will be back. Finding a few unlikable christians and judging them all is like finding a half dozen jackasses on the campfire and saying everyone there is a jackass.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What are you talking about?

We are all jackasses!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Following the teachings of Jesus is really simple. He said so Himself. "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light". When people complicate it, they likely do a disservice to themselves, and others.
Believers are often content to 'believe' something rather than 'do' something. The real core is in the application. They too often define themselves by 'telling' others what they are 'against', rather than by 'showing' others what they are 'for'.
There are certainly many bad seasons in The Church's history. And it's influence, collectively, in the world today is pretty weak, especially when you consider that over 2 BILLION people profess to be Christians.
But just because it 'has' been that way in the past, and because it 'is' that wy presently...doesn't mean that it has to stay that way.
Many things that people resist about The Church, and Christians themselves...are things that The Church, and Christians, ought to get rid of...*if* loving God, and demonstrating their love for God by how they treat others, is *really* at the center of their professed faith.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Well said.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are what you saying that all the theologians from Paul to Augustine to Luther and Calvin were wrong in studying Gods Word and that it was a waste of time?

Worse than a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. It counterfeited the simple message Jesus brought to the world.

Not one single bit of "theology" ever helped a single man choose right from wrong. Only the Spirit can do that. And Theology never brought a single soul to conviction. Only the Spirit can do that.

"Theology" is only useful to reprove others and exhibit brainpower.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,397
Posts18,506,922
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.