Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The Lord is the only one who knows for sure, but my guess is that the number is FAR lower than the numbers of people on the membership lists of the so-called Christian churches. Hard to put a number on it, but likely not very far into double digits . . . . . the Lord knows. Sad really.

I know I'm a Christian, because of Christ's redeeming work for me. I deserve the lowest hell. Jesus paid it all. Hallelujah!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gunner500
This, is the reason I don't go to church, a bunch of back sliding hypocrites, BS con artists and betty-better-than-me's. crazy
They can kiss my red ass while riding their tall horses starring down their noses at the rest of the world.

They've (Christians AND their churches) done a pretty poor job as a whole. With 83% of Americans professing to be Christians (about 250 MILLION people), you'd think that things would be WAY better here than they are. You'd think that these folks, collectively, would be a HUGE influencial and driving force. But they're not. If all of these Christians would simply do what Jesus did, it would have a profound postive impact on this country in a years time. People don't resist Christians because they love others too much. People don't resist Christians because they are too welcoming of others. People don't resist Christians because they are too willing to carry others people's burdens. People don't resist Christians because they're so forgiving and so open and so gracious.
What people find so easy to resist about Christians is the hypocrisy and the 'we know it all, and we're better than y'all' attitude that many of em' seem to have.

People don't resist Christianity because of Jesus...people resist Christianity because of Christians.

I do not find this: "People don't resist Christianity because of Jesus...people resist Christianity because of Christians" to be the case in my experience.

Seems that pride, love of sin and lack of desire to know God are big players in this game. What about those that " ...loved the darkness...?" John 3:19

Sure, you hear this quite a bit but maybe it is because they are resisting for other reasons that are not as easily said.

Seems this is simply a smug reply that does not represent the truth of the matter.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 08/22/16. Reason: speling

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dr. Kindell told me Ph.D scientists and professors reject Jesus for the same reason the truck driver and the ditch digger do. They don't want to submit to God's authority. Any excuse works for anyone. Like my brother used to say, "Pick one and stick with it."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
What people find so easy to resist about Christians is the hypocrisy and the 'we know it all, and we're better than y'all' attitude that many of em' seem to have.
I find it sadly amusing so many convict Christians on the crime of hypocrisy when all of humanity is guilty of the same.

And it does become hard for some not to appear to know it all, or feel better about themselves when they learn what is required to be saved from eternal hell and also have found the faith to believe it. Kinda like suddenly going from death row in a horrible place of torment to total freedom and peace, and winning a huge lottery the same day. And then not telling anyone.

But we'll work on that. wink

True. No one is saying all of humanity isn't guilty of hypocrisy. Part of being Christian is humility.

The problem is with the arrogant, self-righteous, holier-than-thous, that thump their Bibles condemning everyone else and telling them how they should live and then they themselves do different.

Christ was pretty clear about hypocrites in Matthew.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Steelhead
This, is the reason I don't go to church, a bunch of back sliding hypocrites, BS con artists and betty-better-than-me's. crazy
They can kiss my red ass while riding their tall horses starring down their noses at the rest of the world.

They've (Christians AND their churches) done a pretty poor job as a whole. With 83% of Americans professing to be Christians (about 250 MILLION people), you'd think that things would be WAY better here than they are. You'd think that these folks, collectively, would be a HUGE influencial and driving force. But they're not. If all of these Christians would simply do what Jesus did, it would have a profound postive impact on this country in a years time. People don't resist Christians because they love others too much. People don't resist Christians because they are too welcoming of others. People don't resist Christians because they are too willing to carry others people's burdens. People don't resist Christians because they're so forgiving and so open and so gracious.

People don't resist Christianity because of Jesus...people resist Christianity because of Christians.

Doing Christian things is really helping Europe out, but it doesn't matter, they'll be rewarded in the afterlife I guess.
I'd believe that the leadership in Europe who have created the muslim crisis have about the same percentage of Christians as the muslim refugees: about zero. Europe has largely abandoned Christianity before the 19th century.

Real Christians have no death wish for themselves, their faith, or their children. Jesus made sure they were armed when he sent his disciples into the world.

What do you guess is the percentage of 'Real Christians' in the US of A?

Five percent.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sure, there is a problem with humility.

When I first became a follower of Jesus, I did not feel like a "really bad sinner." Yep, I knew there was a spiritual void in my life and it was filled by the Lord, but still, I was not a "really really bad sinner."

Then as I began to grow in the Lord, I began to see my sin differently, perhaps as He sees it and sees me. I have come to be aghast at my attitudes and behaviors.

Early on in my Christian life, I was comparing myself to others that I ran into in my life and "frankly, I came out pretty good in that comparison."

Then, I began to compare myself to Jesus and then I began to be heartsick at the sin in my life.

I suspect there are others like me.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of these posts about hypocrisy sound like these posters think thy're going to meet God as a comity.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I honestly don't give a crap what other Christians say, do, or how they act. I'm responsible for me.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
What do you guess is the percentage of 'Real Christians' in the US of A?
As Keith said, only the Lord knows. But If I was to guess,I'd say half who check the box on a questionaire. But I like to be optimistic. It takes very little effort, once we come to terms with who we are, what we need, and how to get it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The problem is with the arrogant, self-righteous, holier-than-thous, that thump their Bibles condemning everyone else and telling them how they should live and then they themselves do different.
I've been in a lot of churches and really haven't encountered a lot of people like that. That's not to say there are none. But those who are, I just smile and ignore sometimes correct and walk off if I feel the need. Much like the clerks in gun shops who know so much that's not so. Again, it's just people being people and pride is at the heart of it and also the great destroyer. That's why we hate it when we see it in others and miss it in ourselves.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TF49

Seems this is simply a smug reply that does not represent the truth of the matter.

To say that some 'Christians' don't often come across as being unkind, intolerant, harsh, judgmental, and self-righteous when they claim they are just trying to convey the message of Jesus is more than a little bit disingenuous. People aren't resisting the message of Jesus...they *are* resisting the messengers that come across just as I described above.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
But when a person crosses over into death, they do not have the defense that there were hypocrites in the church or Bible thumping holier than thou. The question will be,"what have you done with Jesus who is called Christ?"

He that hath the son of God hath eternal life, and he that hath not the son of God hath not life, but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36. Do you have the son of God? Yes or no?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Yes, there are hypocrites in church, we all know this. But I'm with the crowd that would rather sit by a hypocrite in church for my few short years, than spend eternity with them in hell. But it is your choice, not mine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To say that some 'Christians' don't often come across as being unkind, intolerant, harsh, judgmental, and self-righteous when they claim they are just trying to convey the message of Jesus is more than a little bit disingenuous. People aren't resisting the message of Jesus...they *are* resisting the messengers that come across just as I described above.

Plenty of examples just in this thread.

Some seem to think that a man is apt to find the "wrong god" absent their own "expert" guidance.

They spend all their energy attempting to convince another that the 30 06 is the only cartridge worth consideration when their proposed convert hasn't even decided to buy a rifle yet.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Well, I agree with you that "some" are like that. But let me ask if, in the church you attend, are "most" like that or "some?"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

And so you speak for all the people? All the people where? In your house, in your state or in your head? You might find this hard to believe, but many people process information differently and so react to things differently. Maybe even differently than you. grin

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Allen917

Yes, there are hypocrites in church, we all know this. But I'm with the crowd that would rather sit by a hypocrite in church for my few short years, than spend eternity with them in hell. But it is your choice, not mine.
Well said.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by the_shootist
But when a person crosses over into death, they do not have the defense that there were hypocrites in the church or Bible thumping holier than thou. The question will be,"what have you done with Jesus who is called Christ?"

He that hath the son of God hath eternal life, and he that hath not the son of God hath not life, but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36. Do you have the son of God? Yes or no?
It's as simple and that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The Lord is the only one who knows for sure, but my guess is that the number is FAR lower than the numbers of people on the membership lists of the so-called Christian churches. Hard to put a number on it, but likely not very far into double digits . . . . . the Lord knows. Sad really.

I know I'm a Christian, because of Christ's redeeming work for me. I deserve the lowest hell. Jesus paid it all. Hallelujah!
The exact number is in a book called The Book of Life. It's referred to a number of times in the Bible and is held by the Lord. We have no access to it at this time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, I agree with you that "some" are like that. But let me ask if, in the church you attend, are "most" like that or "some?"

*Any* is too many.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,214
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.